If you had a daughter when would you allow her to date guys?

What age would you allow your daughter to start dating?

• 13
  • 16
  • 18
  • Whatever age she wants
  • A different age
Guys, please read the question carefully I asked WHEN would you allow her to date? as in what age?

Most Helpful Girl

• Whenever she feels like it. I got my first "serious" crush at the age of 12, and at that time I felt like I was old enough to be together with someone. Of course it was puppy love and the thought of having sex didn't cross my mind. I only thought about hugging, holding hands and kissing, nothing more. If I raise my daughter(s) right, I'll trust them enough to make their own judgments when it comes to dating and relationships. Trying to prohibit a child from doing certain things is hurtful, it will only make them want to do the forbidden things even more. Take drinking, for example. I'm not a huge fan of alcohol, but my brother likes it. When he turned 15 or something, he told my parents truthfully that he was attending parties where people were drinking. My parents said it was OK, and even bought him a beer or two, but ONLY if he promised that he was only going to drink his own drinks, and not anyone else's. He turned out just fine, and him and I have always been very honest with our parents because they're honest with us.

Some of my friends didn't have it as easy though. Their parents completely forbid them from drinking any kind of alcohol, but ALL of my friends still did it anyway. Only instead of being honest, they lied. So really, what's better in this case? Being honest and able to monitor what your child does, or prohibit them from doing anything and denying the fact that they're probably still doing it anyway behind your back? I think the same goes for relationships and dating. The stricter the rules, the more rebellious they'll want to be.

What Girls Said 35

• My mom made me wait until I was sixteen and even then she tried to hold me back.

I'm not letting my daughter go out with any guy when she's 13, 14, or 15...she needs to be mature enough to date.

I wasn't mature enough at sixteen, barely coping at 17, it takes time to be ready to go through what dating brings (emotional stress, investment, and eventually sex will come up) so the later the better (up to a reasonable age)

That being said I want a very open relationship with her and I hope she is like me, I hope she isn't seriously interested in guys until she is about 17.

The main thing is that I want her to talk to me about it and still, the later the better.

• I personally think 15-16 is a good age. Girls mature faster than guys and by this time most girls are ready to start dating. If you make her wait too long she may do it and hide it from you (which you do not want). Maybe just make sure she knows that it's really not a bad thing to be a virgin, and that it's good and more special to wait for the right guy who loves and respects her to have sex. Also make sure she should never have to feel pressured into sex, and that she doesn't need to do anything unless she feels ready. I suggest you get a trusty female or mom to have this talk with her though. Could be awkward if it's her dad. If you find this too young, the next best age to let her date is 17. Don't make her wait too long, or she will become the "easy/naive" College girl all the guys try to take advantage of. At least in high school, everyone is still new at dating, so there are more good guys who want actual relationships I stead of just flings.

• In high school, everyone is learning together, College, most are experienced by now. Don't make her tag behind everyone, it will make things much more difficult for her.

• I think most of the guys in highschool only want sex but it can be different for college and university guys because they are more mature and probably wants something more serious. They are also more educated than those guys in high school who choose not to pursue their studies. That's my opinion.

• In College, most guys just want sex. They did the whole girlfriend thing in high school and now they are realizing how many girls are out there and that they have no need to be dating just one girl.

• Whenever the frick she wants. Parents who are too controlling end up having sneaky, rebellious little brats for children.

I know college girls whose parents get mad at them for even talking to boys. The same girls often end up dating the worst types of guys and they keep it a secret from their parents, meaning that they don't have anyone to get them out of a bind. Sheltering your kids and preventing them from doing anything is so much worse than being open and honest with them from the get-go. Teach them right from wrong and then let them make their own mistakes and come to you when they screw up. It makes for much more mature adults.

• If she gets pregnant? I don't care whether she'd go to me when she's pregnant. It doesn't undo the mistake

• wow... good luck to your kids then

• Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed off if my daughter told me she was pregnant, but never talking to her again would be a totally bitchy thing to do.

• yeahh probs like 18. that's the adult age here. anything before that just seems pointless and hurtful.

• The beginning of High School...

so, that would depend on her intelligence and birthdate.

Did she skip or fail grades?

Is her birthday before or after the first day of school?

• It would depend on her maturity level, but I think I'd let her date once she starts high school (age 14).

• I wouldn't set an age. I'd encourage her to tell me about her dating life and whatnot.

My parents set an "age" and as a consequence I just hid everything from them. For my daughter, I'd want to be involved and have her feel like she can come and talk to me about it, especially because I didn't (and don't) have that relationship with my mum.

• I don't want my daughters to date lol. I think 16 would be OK. I hope to teach them their bodies aren't a free for all and that they will wait until at least 18 before engaging in having sex. I also hope they are responsible and use every precautions to prevent STD and unplanned pregnancies.

• I'd prefer her to focus on her education and career when she's mature enough and sees a guy she is seriously into. She can choose to get engaged to him or married. The way I see it my future husband would be the typical doting father yet an alpha male when it comes to his daughters lol. Over protective lol

• Any age, whenever she's interested BUT I would provide supervision until 15 and then slowly relax the rules. Drop her off and pick her up, curfews and most of all safety information , not just how to run but get some decent advice. Which shoes to wear so you can run away. Early warnings that your in trouble, don't give out your address or get in someone's car, carry your keys when you're walking to your car. Etc etc the best defence is teaching her all the stuff we learnt the hard way without forbidding something shell just do behind your back anyway

• I picked 18, only when she's ready to face the consequences in case she gets pregnant, etc. But I have to agree with confugirl, forbidding her would only get her pissed at me and make her rebell.

I guess what's more important for me is how mature she is, and who is she dating. I have to know him. If he seems to be a genuinely good guy, she could date him, even if she's younger than 18. But definitely NOT 13. I'd say 15 at least (if the guy is genuinely good)

• I would let my daughter date, if that's what she waned to do. Even if you told her she couldn't date, she would still find a way to do it.

• Whenever she wanted. But I would tell her to have safe sex. You're kidding if you think you can keep your daughter from seeing a boy if she really wants to see him. So I wouldn't fight with her but I'd tell her if she gets pregnant, she's getting booted out of the house.

That's just how I see it. A laizez faire kind of way of dealing with it

• And hopefully I've raised my daughter well enough to where she sets her own limits and has good decency

• At the beginning of her puberty : 32-33 years old I guess.

• I would say 16 is a good age

• Im 18 and my mom still doesn't want me dating but I've had one boyfrind and we lasted one year, it started at 17. We broke up but were fixing things between us. I would say I would also like my daughter to start dating at a older and much mature age as we'll, so 18 or maybe even after her first four years of college. Going to high school with girls that dating at a young age, I always saw that they were depressed. I guess due to the boy problem they were having. I feel at a young age kids shouldn't be worried about "relationships", I'm glad I wasn't. Constantly hearing how a girl broke up with her tenth boyfriend and she's only 15 baffled me.

• Sixteen but I wouldn't allow her to seriously date until she's out of my house. She can go on dates though. This may seem weird or strict but as a teenager in high school I wasted so much time and energy on boys I thought I loved and it never turned out. Relationships are grown up issues and I want my children to deal with them when they're ready. They haven't gone through enough experience at that age. I also made so many stupid mistakes because I began dating so soon.

• Probably at 16... I don't want her to be awkward.

I know what it's like not being able to talk to guys at that age, when everybody else is...

It sucks! My parents didn't let me do anything!

anything younger than 16 is too young even if you feel like you're so in love with that kid in 5th period or whatever. So 16 is reasonable, in my opinion.

• In this case, forbidding your child to date would only make her want to do it even more and she'd do it behind your back. It's better to create a trusting environment where she'll want to tell you herself. And the most you should do is give her guidelines. She can decide whether or not she wants to use them. But if you gave her useful guidelines in the past, she will most likely want to follow them on dating as well.

• Probably around 16, she would need to show me that I can trust her. I won't be harsh but I also won't be lenient.

• 17

• I have two girls, and I try not to think about their teenage years and dating just yet lol they are pretty little still

• At 16 if she is ready... if I think she should wait one more year then I would talk to her about it.

• When she felt ready, I have a daughter. I would let her express herself to me and let me know, so me and her father could talk with her.

• I already have a daughter,thank you very much.

• Sure I would. It is natural as breathing.

• 20 years old and above is ok

• i prefer she only started dating in university, studies is more important than bgr

• 18 but I would encourage her to date after finishing school..

• I woul never allowe her to date

• I don't want kids

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 24

• I'm an older brother to a teenage sister so I know how much dating have impacted her. She's 17 and has already had her heart broken twice. Is it her fault? Maybe. But if it hurts me to see my sister hurt and me wanting to kick the guy's ass, I can't imagine how I'd feel if I saw my future daughter like that.

Ideally, I'd want her to date when she's 18. She'll be an adult and can make her own decisions.

However, I'd probably be okay at 16 if I thought she was mature enough to handle a relationship. She would have to keep her academics and family life a priority. I'd of course have to meet the guy first.

Same would go for my son.

• 30 would be a good starting point me thinks, but id encourage her to wait until 35 - 40 =)

• I would like if she waited until she's older but I wouldn't try to force her not to. Usually when parents do that their young kids just date behind their backs. I'd rather have my kids confidence and for them to be able to talk to me about these things instead.

• I would go with any age, it wouldn't bother me. If I see her bringing some crazy looking mofo then I will get concerned and would wonder how she got into that kind of guy. I would prefer it if she got into dating during post secondary schooling such as college because at least it is a better chance to find a good guy.

• I'd say by 16 it should be OK to start meeting guys for that purpose , definity not before high school but once there would be ok

• It depends of how you what you want to associate dating. I don't think I wouldn't mind at any age really when she's 'dating' as long as I know where she is, when she would be expected home and who this person is and how I can contact her if need be. Also, if I suspect she could be banged the shit out of by this guy during this date then I would tell her to use a condom because 'I ain't raising no babies'.

• I wouldn't stand in her way, because I know she'd just say she's sleeping over someone else's house or going to the movies with her friends and then meet the guy there. Mothers are usually the ones that are strict about all those little rules that everyone seems to break anyway... So I'd let her toss out the lectures to the kids, and then try to calm her down a little bit when she inevitably got upset that the kids didn't listen to her. =P

• Probably no earlier than 16.

• If I had a daughter I wouldn't hide her from the inevitable or prevent her from it. If anything I would want her to be mature about it, so she makes better decisions with how she goes about dating and stuff.

• Whenever she wants. That said I wouldn't let her do whatever she wants, no reason to restrict kids relations to other people though unless the other person is a terrible influence. I don't think a "date" is a terrible influence per se.

• I don't have a daughter. But if I did, I think I would say 30. Both her and her future husband should be mature enough to parent children.

• i know the shit that goes on lol... either I pick the guy... or 18 when she can be on her own... I'm not dealing with a needy pregnant daughter and her douche bag boyfriend in my lifetime!

• when she's out of my house

• When she starts high school.

• She could screw a guy at 9 if she chose.

Women do what they want to do.

You can control them within your home, but not outside of it.

• I had a friend got pregnant at 14, after seeing that I would say just whenever she's had a sexual education class, if she waits till she's 17 to take the class so be it.

• Whenever she wants.

I just wouldn't want her to have unprotected sex.

• Sure she can date, 16 would be a appropriate age to start.

• 16 is a good age if she's ready and willing.

• I don't have a set age in mind for when it comes to any child of mine dating. Regardless of what sex they belong too. I would have to base that off of them as an individual. If I feel that they are ready to go out on dates at 13-14 then so be it, but if I don't think that they are ready to date until they are 17-18 then it would be then. It would depend on how mature I believe them to be and what kind of personality they have.

• 25 at LEAST! lol

• High School

• I would say 16 is the best age for a girl to start dating.

• Probably when she would be around 70 ...no, no, no, make that 80!

:)

When she would want, her natural instincts would probably start to kick in around 14/15 ...so about that age

But I would watch the guy like a hawk (and I am of course assuming that he's around the same age)