How many women do you think are hypergamous in dating?

So for instance. If her last boyfriend had a car or had a quality, she won't date you if you don't have at least that!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think most people have a baseline of traits that attract them and don't want to date below that, but that they don't keep searching for better and better and better on superficial traits.

For example, the last three guys I dated all had the baseline that they were of similar intelligence as me and I found them sexually attractive. These are must-haves for me to catch feelings.

But there was a pretty wide variety in body build, height, financial situation, interesting hobbies, even sense of humor (I'm not sure I'll compromise on that one again -- it turned out to be an issue. But who knows?)

What Girls Said 6

• I have no clue, I mean there probably is some out there like that but I can't say that I know of any myself personally.

• I'd say 30%

• Guys must have cars. No way you can go out at night without a car.

• Not many are like that

• At least 90%

• What makes you say that?

• Uh, probably because we only get pregnant once out of the year. Obviously were more selective.

• Pretty common. Maybe 8/10, but a woman may substitute one "good characteristic" for another. Ex. no car might be acceptable if he lives in the city and doesn't need one and/or is in college and trying to focus on his education.

What Guys Said 3

• Like 99%. We all have something we require in a partner, man or woman.

Both genders can be hypocritical about it too actually. A lot of guys expect a good looking girl when they are overweight and there are girls who want a guy with has a good career or their own place when they may not have either of those things themselves. We just had a question on here where a guy was asking a girl if they'd be together if he didn't have his own place and she said no when she lives with her parents. It's a real shame how conditional relationships can be.

I have also read profiles where girls won't date a guy with a bachelor's or higher. I hope anyone with a bachelor's or higher would be smart enough to avoid them.

• Since women are more reproductively limited than men (having a very small number of eggs, each of which if fertilized will require an enormous amount of investment on her part), they MUST get the highest quality provider and highest quality genetic material they can. If they have historically secured a given quality of mate, they are attuned to that level of quality and are unlikely to settle for less unless their biological clock starts ticking and they feel an overwhelming desire to make babies -- and even then, that often doesn't happen.

In other words, for women, having A boyfriend isn't really very appealing. Have a GREAT boyfriend is appealing. If, by comparison to others she's had, you aren't great, you aren't likely to get anywhere with her.

• Probably like 99%