Communicating in this day and age.... I am still a believer that a face to face conversation is best...

yet in this digital age in which we live, many find that texting, tweeting, Facebook messaging, etc. are appropriate means of conversing with someone initially. I prefer striking up a conversation in person FIRST and then seguing into digital forms? Your thoughts GAG community?

Most Helpful Girl

• I prefer face to face as well. Seeing the other person's body language gives me a better sense of how the other person is feeling, if we click, etc.

What Girls Said 9

• Face to face all the way. Its actually sad the way people have resorted to communicating electronically instead of face to face. Kind of fake if you ask me. And you cannot have a relationship by text. It's not real.

• Agreed. Real life communication first, then use the interwebz/phone to make further communication easier.

• i've met people online who were great and people in person who were jerks. and the opposite is true. it doesn't matter how you meet someone, it matters what their personality is like. generally though, I prefer to scope out people online because it is less pressure for me; I don't have to worry about looks and such, and if I don't like what I've typed in the chat box I can go back and edit it before sending. plus I prefer online dating sites to the bar scene. I'm not much of a social hangout person.

• I prefer face to face simply because I think as I talk, and writing feels less natural for me. Choosing topics seems much easier this way, and pace of the conversation is important to me as well - and it is simply impossible to keep up a mentally stimulating pace when writing FB messages, or worse yet, e-mails. So a Skype convo is an absolute minimum for me.

• I prefer face to face, at least at first.

• Thats true but technology has helped people to contact one another when they are mostly unreachable. Like abroad or something, or to check for safetiness and to call for help of course :D although now most people nowadays take this kind of thing for granted, any kind of relationship-wise.. which sucks. I sometimes wish things were old school, like love letters/notes ^-^" haha

• Agree!

• Im old fashion and though technology is great, the art of conversation is always appreciated and welcomed. It will never go out of style.

• For me it's a lot less awkward if I've met them in person first

What Guys Said 9

• I've never been on Facebook or Twitter. I got rid of my cell phone (too much like a leash) 6 years ago. While I had it (for work) I would reply to texts sent my way, but never really felt the need to constantly monitor my phone.

Face-to-face is way better. There's something to be said for eye contact.

• It's a good idea, in theory, but in these days people are as busy as ever. Having face to face interaction consistently is nearly impossible.

Plus you meet WAY more people when you had digital communications means.

• Nothing beats face to face contact I prefer talking to people in person I mean sure sometimes you can't becuase they live to far away but otherwise face to face is the best.

• Ya, I don't like talking to people through a digital wall as much as I do in reality. A good song about this is called "Reflector" by Arcade Fire.

• I think it's a potential killer of any relationship in it's infancy. Face to face, playing off reactions is the way.

• Definitely face to face, I need to feel the other person.

• I have nothing against a good face to face conversation.

video chatting is good, but a hassle to set up

And if I need information quick, I will always call instead of texting.

But for casual conversation, anything really works

• I totally agree, ramos. Sometimes it feels as if some meaning is lost whenever you text.

I mean, my friend has a cellphone he texts to me with, but I'd much rather talk to him through the phone. much more personal and meaningful, ya know?

• I've completely rejected digital communication, it's simply weird. Face to face for me.