Dating someone from the military.

I'm currently dating someone from the military, and I have to admit that I'm struggling with it a bit, not only because of the distance, but also because of the fear that he might end up getting hurt or killed while he's in operations. Can anyone provide advice/tips on this, like in terms of handling the relationship, how to deal with missing and worrying about him, and other things that we might end up facing? Of course, there's also this thing about loyalty, although from how I know him, I don't think he's the sort of person to play around (but who knows, right?) although he did say to trust him. We've gotten involved about a month back, so this thing's pretty new, and I haven't dated anyone from the military before him.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm ex military, and while the job comes with a lot of danger it was relatively safe doing what I was doing. Although it depends what branch you're in and which military service, the distance does suck. But it didn't bother most guys I worked with, although 90% of them were cheating on their other halves since the distance made it 'easy' for them to do so. Sorry if it's not overly comforting, but it's just what I know from my time there.

• He's from the army, and their unit is really assigned in combat ops. I can't really give that many details, mainly because he's also constrained from talking about it too much because of the sensitivity of the ops he's in. That's also something that I have to deal with, but I'm okay with it so far since he's explained that to me before he left.

What Guys Said 1

• I'm from the USMC and let me tell you; you need to have some guy friends and DEFINITELY girl friends to hang out with to pass the time and fill that gap. I had my Ex-fiance do this a lot and she managed for well over a year but eventually it grew too much for her.

Don't give up - he might come back a changed man, but he needs you; you are his only connection to the world outside the Military hun.

What Girls Said 1

• I'm gonna have to agree with the cheating Jonny mentioned. One of my old friends invited me to spend a week on an aircraft carrier a few years ago and it was known that crew members cheat on their S/O. My friend was engaged to a guy from another ship and he ended up cheating on her. She broke off the engagement and got pregnant by some other crew member who was involved with several other women. I don't know about the other branches though