Is it weird to not like to date?

I don't like dating in general. It's always awkward, I don't like hanging out with someone I don't really know that well and trying to come up with all these interesting things to say while deciding if their interesting things are attractive to me or not. It's too much at once.

I prefer to just hang out unofficially, telling stories that just naturally come to my mind and not expecting a relationship to happen any time soon, or even at all. I like dealing with the feelings that emerge on their own, not coercing them to come out and testing whether they like the situation or not.

I just want to know if this is a weird opinion to have. Would you rather wait for the emotions and respond like I do or do something first and see if the emotion responds like what normally happens in the dating scene?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think I agree with you, I've never been much of a 'dating' person. I always thought it made things kinda awkward when I knew from the start that the guy wanted a relationship or something, it made me feel pressured I guess. So I didn't enjoy it very much, therefore I didn't have good experiences with it :p

It's a lot nicer just hanging out and seeing what happens. The guy I'm interested in now has been like my closest friend for the past year, I've always told him everything and we can hang out and have fun even when we're doing absolutely nothing. So it was easier in a way to be with him as more than friends, because we already knew each other well and we're comfortable around each other.

What Guys Said 3

• It's not weird to not like to date - I mean, it takes work and it can almost feel like you're going for a job interview. Your stress level goes up and you get all nervous. Sounds tiring...

In my experience, I usually go out for a coffee or a drink to see if I get along with the person, so it's less of a date and more of a get together. If sparks fly then maybe move onto an "official" date...

But hanging is not necessarily a bad idea either - I know couples who were friends before becoming a couple. You really get to know that person better in my opinion since they're not really putting a wall up making pretend they're something they're not.

Everyone has their own way doing things - if you're more comfortable this way then I say it's the right way :)

• The reason I personally don't like dating is because we talk too much and stare each other in the eye for too long, just makes me kind of nervous. Maybe I really know how to hook up. I don't know we talk about what I am going to do after college and stuff.

• I like to know someone before I date them. At least we can have something to talk about.

What Girls Said 2

• im on the same page with you .. I've done it both ways .. met a guy at a party and then went on a date .. we had a relationship but it wasnt very long and then I met another guy who I was best friends with for about a year and all of a sudden we both realized how much we cared about each other on a deeper level .. he was my first (and only so far) real love ... he broke things off with me about 8 months ago .. I haven't gotten over it but I do hate dating so I haven't really gotten back out there!

• I think that it's much harder to really get to know the other person that way because you are both trying to make a good impression and are not necessarily being yourselves. Of course, you might meet someone interesting in a context that makes dating necessary (like you won't run into them again). But if you meet someone at school or w/in your social network, hanging out is great. As long as you don't wait too long to show some romantic interest, or you may end up hearing all about this other great girl he's met!