The Notorious First Date. Where do you go?

I have been asking myself this a few times in the last few years. There are tons of lists and top 10s on the internet, but I wonder what you like best! I personally enjoyed going to the movies, but I do understand that many people don't like it, cause you cannot talk during the movie.

But let's get to the poll, shall we!

• Classic: To the movies! Nothing wrong with it
  • Grabbing a coffee or a drink during the day
  • Invite her over to your place and watch a movie or just hang out (we're talking 'serious date' here, not one night stand)
  • Take him/her into town, to a bar/club and have a good time
  • Other (You know the drill, please comment your answer) ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• NOT the movies. First dates should be about getting to know each other. It's kind of a tactic to avoid interaction and it prolongs the part where you decide if you like each other, which kind of sucks. Also, movies are pricey. I vote for a cheapish meal, coffee or a FEW beers (no getting tanked). Short, but with enough back and forth to see if a second date is worth it.

What Girls Said 7

• First off it really depends on the type of girl and your personality as well. If she's outgoing and really likes to talk and your like that as well then I would say grabbing a coffee or a drink during the day is perfect. I tend to be on the more quiet side, so If I was going on a date with a guy and we were getting coffee I would be a lot more nervous than I already am. Most fist dates that I've been on we usually have dinner somewhere. You might ask well isn't that the same kind of environment as getting coffee. Not really because dinner there is a lot more to eat so it requires less talking and there are more meals such as salad, appetizers, main course, and dessert. Try not to get dessert so that you can go somewhere else for ice cream, so the date doesn't seem too short, and then maybe afterward you can go back to her place where you picked her up and hopefully she'll invite you to come in, and if she does I don't know what will happen, but usually what I do is ask if they just want to watch tv. And eventually that's where the date ends. This is how my usual dates have been. Dinner also shows more of a serious side to the date then coffee. If you do decide on going to the movies you guys should have at least a meal before hand so that you can get to know one another. Also try to keep the date short in case you run out of things to say.

• Coffee/tea type of date is good for a first date. Same with a lunch date. It would give me a chance to talk and get to know the other person, and they can get to know me, and it's not expensive at all. Then if we want to go on a second date, that could be somewhere more fun and interactive, like skating in the winter, bowling, going to the beach (if you're near one), things like that. It's good to have fun with people you're dating! I would save the movie or longer dinner dates for maybe the 3rd or 4th date on.

• I would not do the movies. That being said it kind of depends on the type of girl. I'm outdoorsy so some of the best first dates I have been on is where we go hiking or snowshoeing. It depends on the girl and her interests. The safest bet is coffee or drinks just to get to know each other in a relaxed environment.

• I like b and c

• I'm personally happy with the grab a coffee and light lunch for a first date.. I like the casual setting, it makes me feel comfortable and not not as self concious.

But as I've said on another question like this, the best first date I ever had was when the guy surprised me by taking me to a paintball game. It was brilliant, fun and something I hadn't done before, it lead to some great dates to.

• I prefer dinner then if the date is going good, sitting by a campfire, having a few drinks and just talking and hanging out.

• Some sort of activity you can do together to quell the nerves/break the ice and then dinner afterward so you can talk more and get to know each other better.

What Guys Said 6

• Voting 'E'

I'd prefer doing stuff the girl / woman wants to do but if left to decide I'd probably have grabbed from her during conversation about her tastes and decide accordingly.

However, left by myself

1. I'd grab a cup of coffee in an uppper level coffee joint that's not too crowded to chat up and ease things out a bit

2. Go for a good movie in the evening to avoid the crowds going home after a work day (actually allows time for both to think about each other while 'watching' the movie, reminiscate over the first interaction)

3. Get going for some good drinks and dinner at a fine dining restaurant probably a roof top candle light (glass dome air-conditioned ;) ) with soft music

4. Drive off probably to a sea front or on top of the hills before we mutually decide what to do next :)

• Movies are bad, as you said, you can't talk. Meet for drinks is always a good first date.

• I would take her out either bowling or an ice rink.

• Drinks + the Movies. Movies as the reason/catalyst, drinks as the interaction.

Personally, I don't really like going out on a whim; I like having a proper itinerary, or something to look forward to and get excited about. That's why I only ask girls out if there's something to do. 'Hanging out' doesn't cut it, unless it includes a trip to an exhibition, the movies, a trip to something fun (arcade/carnival/laser tag) or it's a national holiday.

• What's truly sad is that our dating "culture" is such that men need to ponder and worry and stress about what first date, like we're playing a huge game. But hey, women expect to want to have sex on first date, and if you don't fulfill that, you're boring.

• While it is true guys generally have to 'take the lead' when it comes to the first date, we are not the only ones who worry and stress. Girls are just as anxious for first dates too! Thoughts like "what if he doesn't like me?" are on her mind as well!

• Perhaps a strip club...?