Girls around 20: dating a guy who lives at home?

I am 20, in college full time, and work part time. I live at home because while I am in school, I can't work enough to hours to move out and get my own place. So my question, for girls around my age, would this bother you or keep you from dating me or someone in my situation?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not at all your 20! I live in New York City and about 95% of the people who I know that are 20 still live at home. It would in no way bother me or keep me from dating you. I've dated guys who are OLDER than 20 and still live at home. If by the time your 25, out of school, and are working, and your sharing a room with your younger brother in your parents apartment, then get worried! (thats actaully my ex's situation, and its DEF a turn off) Most people move out sometime after they are well established in a job and have the financials to support themselves. In the meantime its completley normal for a person for someone your age, in college, and working part time to be living with their parents!

What Girls Said 28

• sure. I would just look at a guy's personality. that is the most important. if he's a caring and non-selfish individual, and he is responsible and understands the consequences of his actions, then it will be ok. I'm in uni and full time, but I guess iw ould rather be with someone in similar circumstances, so it's not a turn off for me if I knew the guy I liked was living at home because someday, that won't be. we'd both move out and be independent

• I'm 22 and still live at home so I can save up for an international move next year. The guy I'm seeing lives with his brother and a roommate, but that's partially because his parents live 3 provinces away, and his brother is the only family he has here, plus it's cheaper to have roommates in the town we live in.

I don't have a problem with guys who still live at home, or at least with relatives. Especially if there's a reason for living with family.

• no it won't bother me because I go to school too and understand that most of our money goes towards paying tuition. I don't have enough money to move out so I wouldn't expect someone I was dating around my age to have a place either. it is only when guys who are out of school and should have a decent income should I worry.

• I'm 20, at university and living at home too. Spent all my loan money on scholarships abroad for my second year. The fact that you were living at home wouldn't put me off. If it did put anyone of dating you, it would only be because they were looking for more of a casual one night of fun kind of thing if you get my drift. If theywere serious it definately would not.

• Alright, I guess things could get awkward if a girl ends up spending the night with you and your mom knocks on the door at 8am for breakfast. But if you pick the girl up from her place and go back to her place, no problem at all. Besides, it's summer break for most of us, we're all home, anyway.

• of course not! You're in school and that is what I value more about a guy than being able to afford his own place with no career in mind at 20 :)

• I'm currently dating a guy who still lives at home. Honestly, it's not been a big deal whatsoever to me. He's basically in the same situation as you, he is 22, going to college full-time and couldn't work enough hours part time to get his own place. I'm 23 and have lived on my own since 18 (not necessarily by choice), and can't go to college full time because I work full time (sadly). I think it's really great to fully focus on your education before jumping into the so-called "real world." It's ugly, and I wish I'd have been able to stay at home and finish my degree, myself.

So, in a word, no.

• It wouldn't bug me since you are in school. The only ones who bug are the ones who are jobless, no school and still living at home. That is ridiculous. You are just fine though! But if your parents have strict rules for you such as curfews and things, don't expect a girl who doesn't live at home to follow those rules.

• NO! because I am the same way! also, statistics show that the average age that "children" move out of their parents home is 25, a few years after graduating! it is not a turn off at all, and I find college students with their own places to be a rare occurance

• one of my friends is so judge mental about that and it drives me crazy because 20 is still young and its smarter to stay at home while trying to accomplish stuff.

• I don't see a problem with it. I'm 25 and still live with my family so I can finish school. In Latino culture the son finds a wife.

• Um... No... Now if you were 30 and still living at home...

• Chief, If you don't mind (though I am much older than you) Girls your age don't really care because they live home too. 20 years old is still party mode. Atleast you are going to school and not not just any school, college--And working? You are a hot commodity! But I'm sure you kinda know that huh?

Peace.

• No. I might be a little uncomfortable trying to get a little closer at your place, but I say your situation is normal.

• Im 19 and I am currently dating my boyfriend who is still at home with his parents and he is 23. He stayed home because he couldn't buy a house on his own becuz he was in school. Obviously now he just got done with school so he is now looking for his own place. I think its completely fine if you have every intention to save up and move out; there's not a problem with that at all.

• I'm in college full time and work part time so I'm in your situation as well! This would not bother me or keep me from dating someone like this.

• nothing wrong with that your only 20...i expect poeple should be moved out by 25...

• i live at home as well, so wouldn't bother me. I'm in the same boat as you so I can't judge.

• This wouldn't bother me because you are only 20 and in school. But once you are out of school and working full time..pack your bags and leave the nest.

• NEVER! we understand COMPLETELY

• Never! I am in college too and I completely understand money issues (rent, tuition etc..) Don't worry about it AT all. Though it would be a little bit of a turn off if you graduated and had a great job and STILL lived at home! Good luck =)

• I am 20 as well and in in collage fulltime to and I live at home it would not bother me at all I think it’s the smart way to go that way your not in over your head

• It wouldn't bother me at all.

• No

• Not a big deal. At 20 I wouldn't expect him to have his own place yet. I realize there are guys who do but it's not like you're 30 and still at home. You probably graduated HS 2 years ago and you have goals to meet.

• It's no big deal, I'm 20 and I just moved back with my mom about 4 months ago. I'm working though. But I don't have any limitations on what I can do, like curfews or anything. So like someone else said, if you have curfews and whatnot then a girl might not want to deal with that. But since you're in school and working and stuff then it's no big deal.

• wouldn't bother me at all. I am doing the same thing. in fact, I respect guys who are going to school and working...

• wont bother me at all! its pretty common and is dominant in many cultures for the son not to move out...so I wouldn't mind at all! in fact id love to meet his family and be closer to him =)

What Guys Said 3

• I'm 25 and still live at home. There are a lot of people my age that still do. I was reading that right now more people my age are still living at home than ever before. The economy isn't helping either..

• Umm no. Your in school and working, what's wrong with living at home?

• I did my first year of undergrad and honestly had no problem with the ladies