Would you date someone with different religious beliefs?

I mean would you date a Christian if you're an atheist or the other way around? Or would you date a Muslim if you're Christian? ect

Most Helpful Girl

• I did in high school for a few years (I'm an agnostic, he's very Protestant)- he was (still is) a really great guy and we got along really well. We compromised really well for a long time- I'd go to church with him now and then, he'd never pressure me about things and I'd never question his beliefs. We just kind of kept it separate from us as couple. The problem was that his religion was a HUGE part of who he was- not that he ever pressured me to change my beliefs or anything. But in the end he wanted someone who he could share that part of his life with all the time, not include it now and then but mostly keep it apart from the relationship. I also knew I could NEVER be part of an organized religion- it just doesn't fit with my own beliefs. So, we parted ways, but remained friends.

A few years ago he met a really nice girl who's a part of his church and they got married last year, just had an adorable little son. In the end, I think that's what he needed- someone who shared his beliefs and way of life so they could build a life together.

And me, I needed someone who could give me the room I need to explore belief systems and question traditions when they don't fit with my own moral/ethical code.

• I feel the same about your last sentence. My way of thinking is so far from the mainstream and I have no desire to follow.

What Girls Said 16

• I am an atheist, and I am currently seeing a guy who is actually in a Christian jazz band. He's very religious, he goes to church and everything. I cannot stand religion and all the ridiculous things people are driven to do because of it. But this guy knows his stuff, we've had discussions and they always ended rationally because we both knew what we were talking about. He doesn't drink, smoke, etc... Whereas I am the exact opposite. But we're very fond of each other. We introduce each other to new things. And neither of us shove our beliefs down other people's throats.

• Date? Maybe. But when it comes to having a family (dunno, just think it would be nice to have one someday) I would DEFINITELY not have one with a religious person. I mean, think of the kids! On one hand you'd have a mummy who says that belief in god is delusional, on the other hand you have a Christian or otherwise religious daddy who says that everyone will be saved as long as they believe in God. So the kid is stuck in a home where mummy is going to hell according to daddy and the preacher, but then again daddy is stupid because mummy says believing in god is stupid. Plus there would be arguments between me and my religious mate, not to mention the family (most often the family is at least just as religious as the son). I wouldn't be able to take it, honestly. I think you need to be on the same page with basic things like religion and social issues, otherwise it's gonna be tough.

One of the religions I would DEFINITELY avoid dating members of is Islam. I may dislike Christianity, but I'm genuinely SCARED of dating (not to mention marrying) a Muslim man. The culture truly fascinates me and I like to research it, plus I think Arabic is one of the most beautiful languages out there, but their relationship customs just creep me out. Not to mention I'm too much of a big mouth to last with a Muslim guy.

• No, I've tried dating outside of my religion before and it definitely affected the relationship. After that, I decided I need to be with someone who shares my beliefs.

• Perhaps, but only if they were not particularly religious. I would never be able to date a highly religious person, as our beliefs would be much too different, and we would just be too different.

• No.

• Of course.My dad was raised Greek Orthodox, and my mum was Jewish.

In the end, they taught me the idea to look into every religion you hear about.One day something may strike a chord, and you'll want to believe in it. However at the moment I'm agnostic. I'm not sure though how compatible I would be with someone who was an extremist in any religion, like the followers of the Westboro Baptist Church.

• My mom was raised Greek Orthodox and my dad was raised Catholic. They didn't raise me with a particular religion and made sure I looked at everything critically and decide for myself. Pretty similar situation I think.

• Nope I love my religion but its futile to date someone who doesn't share your beliefs because then you can't help but want them to convert and I can't force anyone to do that when I wont

• Date? Sure.
    Exclusively date? Maybe if they have similar standings, moral values, and beliefs (I.e. the same religion, different branch). Any other exceptions would cause difficulties in the later stages of dating because it is work done by two people. Very hard work, I must add.

• I'm atheist and I really cannot stand religion. It's complete ludicrous to me, however, if they weren't like really religious and praying and going to church and stuff I could deal with it

• Yeah I would

• I have no religious beliefs so would I date a Christian? As long as he's not super religious probably so.

• Nope. My religion is a huge part of who I am. I could never date someone that didn't share my beliefs.

• No they will think I'm a devil

• Yes no question about it. As long as they don't try to change mine

• If they are not to religious. Sometimes it might not be the guy or girl but the families sometimes they get in the way and wish and hope you end up with someone as the same beliefs .

• If you already have strong spiritual beliefs that you know you're not willing to change, unless the other person believes what you do-AVOID IT. If they believe in a different doctrine or deity all together I strongly urge you to avoid it. Educate each other if you want but don't date and fall in love with each other. You'll both try to convert each other or try to come to a compromise. Raising a family with two different beliefs is not going to be easy if you feel very strongly about yours and don't want anyone else's imparted on your future children. There's no need in hurting each other like that

What Guys Said 9

• I'm nonreligious, so I suppose it'd be easier to date someone else like that, but I wouldn't rule anyone out over it. They would have to be accepting of my beliefs and not be up my ass about showing me the light of their particular religion, which for some inexplicable reason is deemed more valid than other ones, for reasons unbeknownst to me. My girlfriend is Puerto Rican, and about as normal of a girl as you'd ever meet, yet she and her father practice Oraceon, which is basically Santeria. It's kept pretty secret from me, there's a lot I'm not supposed to know about as non-"follower" or whatever. There's a lot of weird shit like animal sacrifice, but that's only at ceremonies, and she doesn't do it herself, a "babalao" does it. It sounds absolutely nuts to me from the outside, haha. But honestly, I don't care. It helps her find a peace within her soul, and that's fine by me. And all I really see of it is a small cabinet with figurines of different saints (its based in Christianity) and she has to do this weird salute anytime she passes a cemetary. Whatever's clever. Anything else, she and her dad travel to Cuba for, its pretty much a Carribean thing. I guess its more of a spirituality than a religion per se. Doesn't affect me, so what the hell do I care?

• Yes so long as they don't expect me to join them in their belief... I mean if I didn't date a religious person I'm basically cutting out a massive percentage of potential dates based on something irrelevant. Fair enough we don't have the exact same beliefs but why is that a bad thing? It doesn't affect a relationship greatly.

• From what I've seen on personal ads it seems like most girls here aren't religious. That's probably because of where I live though. Like in Texas I think religious people would be a big majority yeehaw

• Dude pack up and move to San Francisco. Most of it is non religious people and a third of the city is Asian.

• Ha, sounds almost ideal for me, especially since San Francisco has a few things I'd be interested in... Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge... the fact it's where Charmed is based. lol

• No, however that might be because of my perception. I wouldn't go into a relationship knowing that it would only be a short term thing and I will marry the girl I'm dating a few girls from now. If I did then I suppose I could date anyone of any beliefs, even an evangelic atheist but I suppose for the long term it wouldn't work.

I'd prefer to date someone who is Christian because you don't need any unneccessary drama

• I'm an Atheist and I dated a Christian girl before. Really, the relationship just comes down to two things: respect and understanding. You respect each others beliefs and choices, and you understand each other and where each other are coming from. Without those, the relationship won't work.

• I could date a religious person as long as they're okay with me not being like them. Also if they were okay with our kids making our own minds up about religion someday instead of being pushed into it as children. If they grow up on their own wanting to be religious I fully support that. Most people who are raised with it join the religion of their parents so I'd like if they could make up their own mind about that.

• no I would not

• I would date a Jew Confusian or Buddhist. Not a Muslim (too dangerous) or Hindu (too different.)

• Yes, couldn't care less. I'm an atheist and wouldn't care as long as the other person didn't try to force her beliefs down my throat

• No. I'm an atheist and I couldn't date a religious person.