Should I go to Prom with someone besides my boyfriend?

My boyfriend, who does not attend this school, is not allowed to go to prom due to a prior engagement. I haven't told many people about my relationship and so only our mutual friends know about this relationship (My parents wouldn't approve of me being in a relationship and since there are family friends in school, I haven't told others about my boyfriend).

I want to go to prom as I am a senior and this is my last year. But going without a date is seen as taboo at this school and so I don't know what I should do. I have a guy in mind who I can go to prom with but at the same time I don't know if I'd be betraying my boyfriend.

What would you do if you were me? How would you bring this up to your boyfriend/girlfriend?

If this topic was brought up to you (with you being the party that cannot go to prom), would you be okay with it? Would you be hurt or jealous and if so, how could I quell such feelings?

Thank you so much!

What Guys Said 2

• I think if you express your concerns to your boyfriend and make sure he understands how much this means to you, then he might be OK with it. As long as the guy you have in mind is only a friend then it should also be ok.

• If you are serious about your boyfriend you shouldn't. It sets a paradigm of respect.

What Girls Said 0