Girls, when you respond to a text message with only a smiley face, what are you trying to say?

It's all in the question. Say you're texting with a guy and in your response you give a smiley face :) and nothing more. What is your reasoning and/or intention behind this? Obviously context is important, so if you can come up with more than one scenario with different rationales then feel free to list them all.

My interpretation is that either she's run out of things to say and is trying to keep the conversation alive, or that she doesn't want to keep up the conversation anymore.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with your guess

What Girls Said 6

• I usually use it when I run out of things to say but I still want to continue talking to a person, or when someone (not necessarily a guy) thanks me for something. But I tend to use pretty much a lot of emoticons in normal text conversations with my friends so... there's usually no special meaning behind it.

Cheers~

• You're right, I sometimes use it as a break from saying lol or haha over and over

• usually it's because I have no idea how to respond to whatever he just said, but I still want to keep the conversation going.

• usually if it's just a :) it means I don't know what else to say lol. you're right, it could also be a way to end the conversation, but not necessarily.

• I have used it to show that the text received made me smile and to keep conversation going. Sometimes that's all I have time to text and it's better than no response at all.

• I use it to show the guy that I'm happy. Not that I don't know what to say or instead of lol. I'm trying to show the guy that I'm interested. Me using a smiley face in a text is one step before the winky face. I'm trying to let the guy know that I want to flirt but testing the water.

What Guys Said 1

• When a girl uses the smile emoticon, it gives me comfort to know that she is happy talking with me. I also use the smile emoticon a lot myself whenever I text girls to show them that I am happy talking to them.