Preferring to date people outside of your race/not being into your own race: preference or self hatred issues?

Someone strongly prefers guys/girls outside of their race, and maybe is even closed off to dating their race. Is this just preference or a matter of racial, self hatred issues?

What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know, I think it just depends on the individual. For some, perhaps it's just a preference. For others, maybe it does have to do with self-hate. They may not like something about themselves so they refuse to date anyone who looks like them. I think that is rare though, in most cases it's probably just preference.

What Girls Said 3

• self hatred to the fullest. they're basically saying their race isn't good enough and other races are better

• I'm Black and I'm the same way. Its more like a preference.

What Guys Said 2

• I see this from many different perspectives.. I think if society didn't see race nobody would care about the skin color of the people we were attracted to. It wouldn't matter if they are from "our race" or not because we wouldn't identify humans in such a way. In a world where everyone acknowledges race as a kind of silly group pride thing yes I can see how it could be perceived as being self hatred to ignore people of of similar skin tones as dating options.

In a perfect world though nobody would give a shit.

• More often than not there is a lot of Self hatred issues involved in the why the don't want to date within race. There are a few exceptions, but in terms of total exclusion of their own race I believe that there are some deep self hate issues.