Would you date someone with mental illness or neurodevelopmental disorders?

Meaning someone who suffered from major depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, autism, psychopathy, sociopathy, narcissism, est?

It seems to me, most of the people who have trouble dating on this site have some type of mental problem. Some I'm just curious as to how many of you all would date someone with these problems. Please state the reasons to your answers.

Also, Please feel free to share your experiences with being someone with a mental disorder in the dating world. Or your experience with dating someone with a mental disorder in the dating world.

• Yes, Please explain,
  • No, Please explain.
  • Maybe, depending on the disorder and how healthy the realtionship was and how they treated me
  • Other, Please explain.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've taken antidepressants before and I've dealt with mental issues. I think it would be hypocritical of me to reject someone on that basis alone. If they are stable with therapy and all that then I see no reason to reject them. It isn't like people who have issues can't be functioning members of society. I wouldn't date a psychopath or sociopath obviously though.

• Of course some people with issues are functioning members of society. Psychopaths and sociopaths are usually status people in society. Many schizophrenic people are also very successful people. However relationships are simply a different dynamic, being you're relying on this person for your needs in a partner.

What Guys Said 5

• It depends. I'm currently on a Psychiatry rotation at med school and of the patients I've seen if they stable on their meds and are actively trying to get better through psychotherapy then I can date them. poorly controlled with terrible adherence are no-no. Some of the more chronic ones that require lifelong help would be difficult too. Everyone deserves love though and many of my patients have or have been in relationships

Some people here may have some undiagnosed illness or they may be in denial. With a lot of mental health problems very few people wil admit to seeing a professional. They will try to heal themselves or dismiss the symptoms. Even if they go to a professional they are the only people that can change their situation

• As a med student, you should know that all conditions can't be helped with medication or professional help, no matter how much someone wants to change their situation. Also if someone has a mental illness or disorder it isn't logical to hold them to the same standards as a mentally healthy person, even with medication and professional help. Their brain doesn't function properly, so often times their behavior isn't going to be proper.

• That is a very optimistic view that you have. But I believe it is dangerous to set bars too high for people with mental illnesses and disorders. Their frustration for not reaching goals they simply aren't capable of reaching can be more harmful to their condition. They maybe able to reach some steps and to accomplish some goals, but to say they have complete control over their situation if they want ti badly enough is cruel.

• Of course some illnesses like Pervasive Developmental Disorders or most Personality Disorders have a poor prognosis and are difficult to manage. Anxiety and Mood disorder have a good prognosis if the patient manages them self properly. It wouuld be easier to date the latter as "normal" functioning can be restored

• MDD, yes.
    Bipolar, yes.
    Schizophrenia, no.
    Autism, yes.
    Pyschopath, no
    Sociopath, no.
    Narcissist, no.
    GAD, yes.
    OCD, yes.
    DID, would be hard, but possible.
    PPD, depends how bad.
    Schizoid, no.
    APD, no.
    BPD, probably not.
    AvPD, yes.
    Dependent PD, perhaps.
    Phobias, depends on the phobia.
    Eating disorder, yes.
    ADD/ADHD, yes.
    Depersonalization Disorder, yes.
    PTSD, yes.
    PTED, no.
    Rett's, unlikely.
    Tourette's, depends how it presents.
    Separation Anxiety Disorder, might get a bit... overwhelming.
    Panic disorder, yes.
    Sleep disorder, yes.

• It all depends on how close to a healthy relationship they can operate.

• i have lived with people who suffer from bipolar and i know a lot of woman who are known sociopaths so what can you do?

i have known a lot of girls who are sociopaths and i have mild bipolar so what better combinations?

maybe it's my own but i doubt it

a lot of girls and guys here in my city are either sociopaths or psychopaths

they don't know they are but once you describe the symptoms they blush in embarrassment

• No. I have gone down that road before it and wasn't worth it. If she is bad enough she needs to be medicated, then I don't want anything to do with her.

What Girls Said 6

• Maybe. It would definitely depend on the disorder. So, it would depend on their maturity level, behavior, ability to interact and socialize in a healthy way, etc. If they were seeking help for their problem/disorder and could maintain a good relationship, then I probably would.

• yes, I would. In fact my boyfriend of one year has depression, anxiety, PTSD and I have depression, anxiety, history of anorexia, and borderline personality disorder and we have the most amazing relationship ever. Mental illness doesn't matter as long as the relationship is healthy. People without mental illnesses can have bad relationships just as easily as people with mental illness. My relationship is extremely healthy despite our mental illnesses. We barely fight, my boyfriend is an absolute gentleman and treats me like a princess, we are a perfect match and are very honest and open with our communication and always listen to each other, we apologize and take the blame when necessary, and are very patient and understanding with each other. Basically what I am trying to say is that, as long as the person has good qualities when it comes to relationships and the two people are able to maintain a healthy and happy relationship, mental illness should not be a problem at all. And when you love someone deeply you do not mind if they have a mental illness and you love them for who they are and you love the good and bad in them.

• Thats awesome, I'm glad you've got a healthy relationship. Of course mentally healthy people can have awful relationships. Mentally healthy people can also take advantage of a mentally ill person to use that against them in the relationship. My question was simply to get the opinions and experiences of others regarding mental health and dating.

• It depends on the mental disorder. For example, I would never date a pathological liar, a sociopath, a nymphomaniac and a narcissist for obvious reasons. Anything else is acceptable I think.

• Schizophrenia, psychopathy, sociopathy, narcissism (and possibly bipolar), no.
    Autism and depression, yes.
    I voted C. It also depends on how severe these disorders are. If they are mild, I could almost date someone with any of them. Almost. It really just depends on the person and how much I'd be able to put up with.

• And it also depends if said person is taking meds, is recovering, is able to handle their disorder/illness etc.

• I said maybe. I won't judge them for their issue. And, I can't help who I fall for.

• Maybe? My aunt has a neurological disorder so I can't judge.