Is there really power in holding out to text someone back?

When texting guys, I find it hard to just wait for a reply. So I end up texting more than once. I hold out for an hour or so but I just want to know if this is a power game to not text me back right away. And right away I mean like under 15 minutes.

Most Helpful Girl

• In your situation, I'm not sure; but in general, there absolutely can be.

It sounds dumb, but there really is a whole science to texting -- not just with how long you take to respond, but also with the content of your messages (and in your case, the amount of messages sent, too).

All of these little factors can be analyzed for a deeper meaning, which may or may not be true. For example, the guy who you're talking to could conclude that, "She totally likes me, since she's always sending me multiple messages when I don't reply back right away."

Taking forever to respond could indicate that this guy is either busy, not into the conversation, not into you, or just not into texting. Since he has you wondering about why he takes so long, you could say that he's got a sense of power.

What Guys Said 3

• Yes, there is this stupid power game for some people. People's pride makes people think that if they text someone immediately, it makes them desperate.

• Yes. It's part of the game that people play. I don't believe in doing cuz it seems childish. Then again I don't text often or date so take my opinion with a grain of salt

• It's not a power game. It's that the guy is using texting for it's proper asynchronous purpose. If you want to chat in real time, make a phone call. Texting is not supposed to be an immediate back and forth communication.

What Girls Said 3

• Is there really power in holding out to text someone back?
    In regards to heterosexual relationships I find it depends on the gender:
    Yes for guys as it seemingly increases his 'social value', gives the pretense that he has a life/options outside of her, and etc.
    No for gals I find guys generally don't give a sh*t about communication with gals unless it talk of f*cking her or possibly f*cking her. I doubt most guys are hanging around waiting for a text from a gal unless it's about sex.

• Yes some people play this game. I never do this to any guys, unless if he is playing hard to get. I can say I am not so much old fashioned when comes to texting but I have my own limit. If he makes me wait for his reply for more than 24 hours without giving me any explanation or at least reply our last conversation, I will do the same. I am not his dummy. About texting right away I do think sometimes it can make the other person feels like we are only talking to them. Not necessary desperate.

• This one guy would text back super quick when I sent a booty shot but anything else he would take his time. Stupid.