How important to you are religious and political views when dating?

For example, I don't think I could ever a date a republican. Unless she was willing to reconsider her views. I also couldn't date anyone who took religion seriously.

Are either of these things important to you?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say pretty important. I prefer intelligent people and it's proven that intelligent people tend not to be religious. Sorry if that makes some of you butthurt but this has been proven by 54 studies over the past 90 years.

Secondly, anyone who would still support the republican party just proves that they're ignorant and exhibit an inability to educate themselves about something before having an opinion on it and/or lack the ability to think for themselves. Or they're just a greedy asshole.

All traits that I wouldn't wish to pass on to my child, thus I would not risk impregnating them.

• Awesome response. Totally agree with everything you said.

• "... it's proven that intelligent people tend not to be religious..."

-You mean like Adolf Hitler?

• Hitler never took an IQ test, but many reputable sources estimate that he was well above average intelligence. He did commit very atrocious acts, which everyone can agree were wrong, but that does not mean he was not intelligent.

What Girls Said 17

• LOL I'm a republican who takes religion seriously :p

In any case, I could never date a non Christian. Too many issues that would come up - conflicting views on lots of major issues. Just couldn't happen.

I could probably date a Democrat. I'm not huge into politics but I really can't stand people always harping about how they're poor because of "the man." Everyone's trying to get through life just like everyone else and everyone's not complaining about it. Just put your nose to the grindstone and make your way through life.

• This is a trick question to me. Christianity is not a religion, but that's the thing. Christianity came about because other people were practicing their "religion" that they made up. So God brought about the fall of "religion" by bringing Jesus into this world so we could pray to him only.

• I wouldn't care much as long as their views don't interfere with our relationship/day to day life and as long as they didn't try to convert me or make me change my views. I'm very open-minded, but I hate having people trying to shove their own beliefs down my throat.

• I'm apolitical. As for religion, I was born into a Christian family and still value that part of me. However I am open minded and see things differently. I wouldn't not date someone because of their views. I agree with someone taking religion too seriously e.g. Extremists.

• I wouldn't go with someone who was a complete atheist/different religion apart from maybe jewish, and I wouldn't go with them if he was church of God and prophesy- definitely not. Politics isn't really a problem as long as his opinion was based on Christian AoG morals

• There actual views don't matter too much (i. e. I don't care if they're different to mine). Not trying to change mine is important.

• I don't date religious people or conservatives

• I don't really care about political views, but I am an atheist and I would only date a guy who's not religious. I just can't be with someone who believes in hell or thinks I'm going there just because I don't follow Jesus. I'd probably date a Jew though :P With some Jews, it's just culture and community and not actual beliefs.

• 100% Importance. 10/10.

• Important. I do not believe who you are is independent of your views.. political and otherwise.

• Religion is super serious to me. It's what shaped me to be person I am, if you couldn't respect that then no offense, as wonderful as im sure you are, I don't think I could ever date you. Unless you were willing to consider my views.

• Well u wouldn't wanna date someone that's against ur religious views period because that's bound to cause conflict however if they're neutral then go get em tiger

• I agree with you completely, I have strong opinions on both political and social political motions and I also don't like people who are strict when it ones to religion, I don't really think it would work out to date someone who doesn't agree with some of my views, because I like people who I have something in common with. I don't agree with the whole opposites attract idea

• Not that important unless they're hardcore about their beliefs and push it on me

• Yes, and no. I can date you as long as it's not coming up in conversation constantly and you're not forcing me to do the things you want to do, but when I start thinking about long-term for life maybe I really need to be on somewhat the same page as you.
    This is actually the reason I had to talk to my boyfriend about religion a few days ago. I'm not super religious and have my doubts and theories and I think he might be the one so I told him about it to see how he felt about religion. I mean, for me it's okay for him to be religious and everything, but I can't marry some religious nut that drags me to church every Sunday and makes me pray with them. I will go to church with you no problem, I'll pray with you no problem, but I'm going to do it on my own terms and no, it won't be every Sunday or every time you pray.
    Same with politics. I frequently run different social issues by him such as abortion and gay rights to see how he feels about them. I don't think I could marry someone that was against gay marriage.

• Great answer. I don't see how anyone can not care about politics and religion in a relationship. I care about how other other people are treated, and politics & religion greatly jnfluence people's opinions on those issues. Like you said, I couldnt date anyone who felt that being gay was a sin and that they don't deserve the same rights as others, among other things. Thanks for the answer.

• Religious= Very.
    Political= Not at all.
    You see I personally couldn't seriously date someone who wasn't a christian because it would conflict with too much of how I choose to spend my time and make my choices, they wouldn't understand me as well and guys are never fans of abstinence unless they're christian.

What Guys Said 9

• Your post already gives away that you are a very intolerant person. Why would a Republican have to reconsider her views? Having a look of how the US is going downhill I'd say, her views would probably be the better choice than yours.

You also seem to think of yourself as superior towards people with religion. That whole ubermensch thing went pretty bad last time, I wouldn't take that road and reconsider your perception of this world before you require anybody else to do so.

Beside: No, you can't have a long-term relationship with anybody who doesn't share the same basics as you do. It just won't work.

• Neither are important to me and just as well... having opinions on either outside the norm in Ireland often don't go down well.

• LOL what a coincedence...

For example, I don't think I could ever a date a Democrat/Obama supporter. Unless she was willing to reconsider her views. I also couldn't date anyone who wasn't Christian.

• Religion as you people say and Politics are one in the same thing. You can't believe in God and not care who's in office, letting Satan into office seems pretty stupid to me.

• Letting satan into office? That's a joke, right?

• No, not really.

• Political views, I don't really care too much to an extent.

Religious, I wouldn't care to date someone who wasn't Christian, i also wouldn't find it particularly good for having a civil relationship. It just seems like unecessary drama

• Very important. There need to be minor differences at best to have a lasting relationship. There is no way I'm falling in love with some marxist nihilist girl.

• Looks like we can't date.

And not just cause i'm hetero.

Although I'm not a republican i am christian, and find your bigotry disturbing

• That's fine. I find the bigotry that goes along with every single religion disturbing.

• Thanks for "setting me straight", genius.

• Stan, why are you so mad?
      try to understand!
      that I just wanna be friends!
      I just don't want you doing some crazy shit.

• I'm a Jewish democrat. My gf of 4 years is a Christian republican. It still works out.

• Religion I can deal with to a point (if she's religious but she's not a zealot, I'm OK), but I can't bear a right-wing bigot in any way and I feel uncomfortable with left-wing extremists (which means, I'm OK if she's very leftist but not if she's also an activist).

• I broke up with my girlfriend because she wouldn't pray with me or go to church. I need that, a helper who is going to be there for me.

Political wise? How could I NOT care about the future of my country, and my very life, and the lives of my family? Politics are EXTREMELY important. I am a conservative. How could politics not matter?