Girls, when considering dating someone, does what they do for a living matter?

Would you be more apt to date someone who works As a cartpusher or dishwasher or something more glamorous, if you love someone, does that stuff matter?

Most Helpful Girl

• Work ethic above job title is far more important. It's a bonus if men love what they do because most men identify their success by their job. It seems to make them all around happier if they feel proud and successful. If they are a hard worker, and are willing to do any job to provide for themselves then that is honorable, and it makes me admire them all the more.

• Thank you for your input, I was wondering because I work as a cartpusher myself sometimes at my job, and I see women when I'm out pushing carts and to be honest, I get embarrassed and think "there's no way In hell a women would wanna have anything to do with someone that does a job like this"

• These are the girls to go for.

• I like the way you think, I think it's cool that you respect a man who makes a living at actual labor not just sitting behind a desk, pushing paper around.

What Girls Said 14

• Depends on if we were just dating vs, if we were planning a life together.

As long as he had everything I wanted in a guy, I wouldn't care if he had a minimum wage job. As long as he was able to support himself financially, and wasn't constantly asking for financial help or loans.

However, I don't believe I could plan a future with a guy who didn't make more than minimum wage. It isn't economically sustainable. It isn't possible to live off of minimum wage. So that would mean he would expect to solely live off of my finances. I don't want to get married, and I don't want children. So I have no interest in a Stay at home husband. Unless he had a realistic business model that he wanted me to invest into (so he could work from home). I would not plan a life/future with a man who only made minimum wage.

• Yeah. dead end min. wage jobs are a no unless he is in school. its still not as good as having at least an entry level job in a career. he should make good money to where he's not living hand to mouth and can't afford to do anything

It does matter b/c when im deciding to date someone, we're in the preliminary stages, so im not in love with them. its better to rule a guy out right in the beginning if u know he's not going to work w/ ur lifestyle rather than go along with it anyway

• Some of these comments make me sort of sad, but at the same time glad I'm single

• I actually am planning on returning to school and learning an actual trade, preferably one that pays well and involves a fair amount of manual labor, I wouldn't feel right if I was at a job and didn't earn my money without manual Labor.

• I would consider the consequences of manual labor vs intellectual labor. Manual labor will take a toll on your body. You may not be able to work at 65 because your body becomes slower and weaker.

An intellectual job like engineer, investor... etc has a much higher potential for income vs manual labor and you can do it well into your later years if you really need the money or love the work. Provided you don't get Alzheimers or some mental disease. But that would affect both types of work.

• First of all a job is a job which says a lot about self worth, reliability & timekeeping. a good job is fab sure, but to have the pleasure of a partner in any job is a bonus. Can always work up the career ladder & stuff. Nowadays it's more of a question of mmmm working or not working lol. I know I would be happy as long as I was cuddled & treat like a princess no matter how much or little income there is there must be love to seal the deal lol

• If it's like drug dealing or something shady then that would be a dealbreaker, but any job is fine really. I'm in my early 20s though so nobody is expected to have that much money. For marriage or down the road I could see that becoming more important.

• It matters. I want someone who provides services that require some kind of degree. I want to be able to relate to him and I can't if he does manual labor. Plus, it's not sustainable for him to work such a minimum wage job. I want him to at least be able to take care of himself.

• You can't relate to someone that does manual labor? I've meet a lot of people that I've enjoyed talking with that are contractors or work in grocery stores.

• Aw thanks for remaining friendly :)
      I hope you find a girl who appreciates what you do.

• No problem, I know we had a disagreement, I Just wanted to be on good terms. Thank you, I'm sure I will. :)

• Yes.

I'm a 20 year old full time university student with a part time job as a nanny and I work part time as a desk receptionist.

I don't expect him to have a part time/full time job or an internship, but I will only date someone who is enrolled in university. I want someone who shares similar values to me and for me, education is important.

Now, if he were out of college (say older), I would again only date someone with a college degree and who has a job. If he's older, I wouldn't date a 30 year old working at in retail, sorry. I just expect someone around that age to have an actual career. And if he didn't, I'd feel like we come from very different lives and backgrounds.

Money doesn't determine happiness, but it sure does beat the stress of living paycheck to paycheck or struggling to get by.

• Yes I'm in my 20's

• As long as he's doing something it doesn't matter. I wouldn't date a parasite because I see no future there.

• Yes, it is important to me that guy has a stable and respectable job

• if you love someone nothing matters

• yes it does!

• I wouldn't date someone making minimum wage for a living. I make ~80k so the guy would need to match me

• I wouldn't care what you do for a living. I care more about someone's personality and them being respectful and them caring about me then how much money they make but I think it depends on how you are raised and what you care about

What Guys Said 4

• I was just talking to a friend of mine.

An older guy (36) was chasing after her (29). She said while he's nice, caring and fun to be with, she would not consider a long-term relationship with him because he "lacks ambition".

He is a mailman and has been since high school. She is a nurse.
    She questions his ambition because he seems happy at his work and does not consider anything more. However, knowing the future of "snail mail", she thinks that when he ultimately gets laid off in 5-10 years, he will have no skills to put on his resume. Yet he does not prepare for this pending scenario by increasing his education or skills. It's like waiting for doomsday, and she wants no part of it.

• Well I've read quite a few personal ads. I think the non political correct answer would be that many women seek "educated" and "successful" men. I do believe women in general tend to desire a guy more for his money as we age. No 18 year olds aren't thinking about it as much. That being said, there are a lot of women that don't care as much [(they would almost generally prefer money) okay they would always prefer money probably] and are more focused on finding a companion to enjoy life with.

To those that say money doesn't matter, I've spend the last few days dealing with though financial decisions I've been researching the hell out of when I'd rather be outside enjoying life. Having enough money matters.

My guess is that the women that feel picky about a guys financial situation are the women that generally have tons of options. No I didn't disguise this answer in makeup but it's a general thing I think I've noticed. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm not.

What I'm saying is I think your financial situation is important in general which is why what you do has importance. Would women want to date doctors if they make $10 and hour? Generally not.

• My options were not limited, I just know what character a man has is more important than his portfolio. Money is such a temporary thing and can be gone in a moment. Then what? If he doesn't know how to go work his ass off he'll prob start planning your murder for the insurance. And if he keeps it then when your beauty depreciates and you aren't as valuable he will replace you with a newer version. I want a man who comes home from work tired, dirty and proud... pay scale is unimportant.

• I think part of character has to do with how responsible you are with money and how well you take care of your family. I can't look respectably at a man who brings nothing financially to the table and will have his family in near poverty conditions because he refused to plan for the future and do something that would gain him better earning potential.
      Everyone doesn't think struggling is cute

• @ jstfaxlumbrjax That's an interesting way to look at it, and it makes a lot of sense. I think most women want money though :P Especially if they are really pretty and have lots of suitors.

• Yes its important for a woman to have a good job and be able to handle her business because I'm not handling it for her.

• I know this isn't my place to answer but you could also ask if you truly want to be involved with someone who values your job more than you. And the opinions of those who do value jobs more than people probably wouldn't mean as much anymore. Your job can always change but you'll always be you.

• No, it's ok that you commented, thank you and I appreciate your insight.