Interracial dating a real thing?

What are your opinions on interracial dating? Would you do it? Do most people you know approve of it? Is it true that some people will have sex with people of other races but never date them?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a first gen Australian (my parents were born in Sri Lanka) and about 95% of my relationships (casual, dating or serious) have been interracial. To be honest it's not something I think about a lot. An attractive person is an attractive person, and culturally I have more in common with Australians than I do people from my parents country.

My SO is white (Croatian descent) and after we started dating he jokingly said, "Ah, forgot to ask my parents if they're okay with interracial dating!" We laughed about it because it's really not a taboo thing here.

I find it really weird to know that people have race fetishes and the like. I'd be quite upset if I knew a guy was dating me because he thought I was something new or exotic. My skin colour just shouldn't be a factor.

• Maybe you mean have a race preference? Because for it to be a fetish it would have both the preference and would have to be considered unusual. I doubt liking a particular race would be seen as unusual to many. But I understand you don't want them to notice why they are attracted to you. Unfortunately many people have preferences they are aware of.

• It's hard to resist the gag dialect lol :P

• But I try so hard to do so...

What Girls Said 3

• Well my boyfriend is black although I do not strictly date men of other races. I'll date anyone I'm attracted to regardless of race.

Meh, I know some people who disapprove but their opinions mean nothing to me.

• Well my parents obviously approved it when they got married and had my sister and I. I'm mixed with black and white, and dating a Japanese man.

• I'm a black girl with white boyfriend :)

What Guys Said 3

• Yeah it happens. I haven't done it very much, but I have a little. I think the reason is there are just more white people where I live and I tend to be able to relate to white people better. But yeah I don't really care about that kind of stuff. Getting along and being attracted is the important part.

• Yeah, I have and I would again.

• I seriously don't understand this big fascination with races in this day and age. You'd think with all the need for equality and acceptance, people would stop identifying with race when it doesn't really mean much at all anyway.

I date whoever I like, regardless of race. I don't see race, only a dateable or un-dateable girl. My girlfriend is Colombian, so I'm not sure if that "qualifies" as interracial dating.

But seriously man, what is the big deal? Why the fascination with skin color? To me, it's not all that different from people that look down on certain races for this same, stupid reason.

• I don't think he means it in a derogatory way.

• Non-white people, generally speaking, have to consider the possibility that the person they are attracted to, if they are white, is not attracted to their race--so, unfortunately it is an issue whether it should be or not. I wish there was no stigma or people left who only date within their race and everyone was just seen under that attractive/non attractive rubric but its just not the case.

• But is this still an issue if the two are ALREADY dating?