Could you be friends with someone after they rejected you?

If so, what would change? Could you treat and/or see the person the same way ever again?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm still friends with guys who've rejected me, and I'm still friends with most of the guys I rejected. All of us are in relationships now.

Getting rejected isn't a big deal in my circle. Its the equivalent of stepping in shit. You wipe and wash your shoe, but you don't throw that shoe away.

If you enjoy someones time, company, and friendship. That should be a value in itself. If you don't enjoy a persons time, company, and friendship, it makes sense to not keep them around.

• You've never had lingering bitterness or disappointment even if you did enjoy their company?

• I'm the exact opposite. I have total confidence in my abilities in that regard. I'm less assured when it comes to dating. Partly because I have very high standards so I don't pursue girls often. Rejections hurt a lot more for that reason.

• I hold confidence too! I just get pissed missing out on money and in essence my livelihood. Being able to live comfortably has always been the most important thing to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends and family. But accruing relationships (platonic or romantic) isn't my top priority. I don't want to get married or have children, so I guess that is only natural. From what I've noticed in my short life, people are attracted to liveliness and people are attracted to people who allow them to be human. Standards are awesome, but sometimes you have to let people be people. If you make them jump too much, they'll start walking in the opposite direction.

I just think your internal self, and your life need to be secure above all else. It changes socializing into a completely new ball game, and who/what people are becomes very clear.

But thats just the inner dribbles of my mind. lol

What Girls Said 8

• Yeah and I've done it in the past. If a guy rejects me, no big deal. I just see it as hopeless and move on (I can usually convince myself out of liking a guy fairly quickly). And then I continue hanging out with him because I could always use more guy friends.

• It depends in what way you were rejected. I can say that you can still be friends with them, but that is only if you're not bitter about the rejection. If you are bitter then being friends with that person who rejected you won't be a good thing. Anyway, I personally think that you should not be friends with people who rejected you, for sure there will be a point where you will feel the bitterness and you will feel bad about the rejection.

• Yes, b-c i like a guy for more than just sex. If were not 'together' were still friends were just not having sex. so yeah, i can do that.. no problem. if sex was the main thing i wanted out of a relationship, than i wouldn't see the point to being 'friends'. but it isn't like that for me.

as for feeling bad about rejection, i don't. i appreciate it when people respect me enough to be direct and not waste my time.

if he was still ok being friends id appreciate that. a lot of people who reject are the ones who do not want the friendship. b-c they are 'uncomfortable' lol.

• If my crushes were not close friends but I was still friendly with them and polite to them even if they rejected my feelings for them. I am still friends with this guy I was seeing (and thought we finally going to be an official couple) I mean romantic feelings were rejected, they were rejected and nothing I can do about it and I had to respect that. I will not keep hatred simply because they didn't have the same romantic feelings as I did for any of them.

• Two guy friends rejected me, but they are my pals so I got over my feelings for them and just remained friends.

• If we were already friends (and I developed feelings, and told him) then yes. This actually happened to me, and the guy is still one of my best mates :)

• Only if they were rude when they rejected me. After a friendly rejection, I could be friends with them and eventually move on.

• In what way do you mean rejected? If they completely dumped me as a friend and ignored me or told me they didn't want to be my friend anymore then probably not.

I suppose it depends what you consider rejection.

I had a very good friend who stopped talking to me as much and stopped seeing me all together as his girlfriend who he had children with wouldn't allow it. She was very controlling. I was still there for him and only usually saw him if they broke up. I stayed his friend as I knew what was going on and wanted to be there if I could.
    Then he broke up with her and got a new girlfriend and we saw each other all the time.
    All of a sudden he just stopped answering my calls, I called a couple times and text a few times with no reply since. This time, no, I can't be friends with him. I have been a great freind to him over the years and for some time. If I saw him in the street I don't think I'd even stop to talk, but I would be polite and say Hi as I was passing.

• That's terrible. He wasn't a good friend. I meant if you wanted to be in a relationship with them and they said no.

What Guys Said 9

• Well Sometimes when a guy/girl likes you so much and you reject them, their crush turns to anger and hatred...

• If they weren't rude to me when they rejected me then sure. I'd eventually move on and find someone else. I mean we have to understand that we don't appeal to everyone and we shouldn't find it offensive if someone doesn't feel the same way about us.

• Voted 'A'

Yes why not?

• No, I can't.

• Depends on the rejection and how much I liked the girl. If I really liked her a lot it might be best for us to just not be friends.

• Really depends on how i felt about them in the first place, how i asked, how they rejected me, etc.

Also depends on how you define "friend".

But yes, if there are no hard feelings, I can, and have.

• As a friend, no special treatment, stuff like that. However i would try my best to make them regret it by them seeing how amazing i am haha

• depends how much i liked you.

If i really like her, and then got a "i have a boyfriend", what would be the point of sticking around. to what kiss her ass?

• It depends on the situation and how well things go over, how I feel about the girl, etc.

But if I liked her enough and she turned me down, I doubt I'd want to be friends with her after that. It's not very enjoyable to hang around someone that you still have an interest in but can't do a thing about it.

That has always confused me- why girls are so eager to stay friends with a guy they reject or break-up with. Is having friends and people around that important to girls?