Is it appropriate to get a small birthday present for a guy I've been talking to online but haven't met face-to-face yet?

I've been talking to a new guy online for a little while. He invited me to his 21st birthday party and wanted me to be his date, but it's the night I'll come home from school (5 hours away) and I'll probably be home too late and be too tired to make it. We're still planning to get together another day, though.

Since we haven't actually spent time together yet, would it be a bad idea for me to get him a small present like a nice journal or a book? He loves reading and writing poetry.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, that's adorable and perfect. Why can't more girls be like you?

• Aww, thanks! I didn't think it would be a big deal if it was just a little thing. I know it's better to wait until things are serious until you get more expensive things, but I really do think something like a book would be sweet :)

• And it's even personal. Seriously, congrats, this guy is lucky.

What Guys Said 1

• sure you can gift him a brand new webcam and add a note to it " I See You"

What Girls Said 4

• As long as it is a genuine gift and you aren't giving it for any alternative reasons, it should be fine.

Most people enjoy reviving gifts on special occasions.

• I think it would be fine as long as you keep it very simple. If I were you I would just get him a thoughtful card or something or even a funny one to break the ice. Save buying an actual gift until you really get to know him/get more serious.

• That sounds really sweet but weird in my opinion.

• It sounds like a good idea. Its just a book or a journal nothing fancy. So yeah why not. It shows that you're actually getting to know him and listening to what he likes.