Is it ok for a guy to date his friend's exgirlfriend after he cheated then broke off the relationship?

So my friend was dating this girl. I met her through him and we became good friends. After dating for a little over a month he cheated on her then broke up with her and is still with the girl that he cheated with. (She also didn't know he cheated till a month later, she didn't know why they broke up as he ignored her)

After the break-up he started to push his close friends (ie me) away and I haven't seen him much since.

I really like this girl and I think she likes me, but I don't know if it's ok to date my close friends ex. After i broke up with my highschool gf my best friend started dating her days later. He won't speak to me any more and I lost a lot of friends over that... It got pretty nasty between us... I don't want that to happen again.

I would appreciate your opinions and a yes or no as to if I should pursue a relationship or not.

• Go after her.
  • Don't risk ruining the friendship.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would talk to your friend first and get his blessing even though he was an asshole and cheated on her.

What Girls Said 2

• Well, i can see your problem, but i have to ask you this: is it worth loosing a friend? this guy sounds like he would care what you thought if he were in this situation. i say go for it and if he asks just say he was the one that cheated, so in a way he has no right to talk. good luck.(:

• Your friends sound like total dicks. I say, go after her. Her ex cheated on her and she deserves better.

What Guys Said 2

• First off your friend who dated your ex sounds like a dick. Second Yes this friend cheated on the girl you are interested in but I think the right thing to do and "guy code" calls for you reaching out to this guy and telling him you like her and would like his blessing. If he agrees, go for it. This happened to me before, I had dated this girl for over two years, we broke up because I moved away and the long distance relationship wasn't working for us. One friend (he wasn't even close) Called me and said hey I talked to "NAME" this past weekend I would like to ask her on a date would that be okay with you? I gave him my blessing becuase she deserves to be happy. They ended up dating for a month or two. Next thing I know a guy who I considered to be one of my best friends is dating her, he doesn't know that I know but another friend asked me if it bothered me and thats how I find out. After he had been dating her for like 3 months he calls me and asks if its okay if they date and that he was sorry he didn't tell me sooner... that he didn't want to hurt me and that he would break up with her if I wanted him too. Of course I wasn't going to say I wasn't okay with it. I told her to treat her right and it took a couple weeks to get it over it. I was upset, sad, pissed... but in the the end I accepted it. She was happy, and although were still friends we are no where near as close as we were before.

• Dude, If you feel that you can't break up with her in future, then go for her, otherwise dont.