Would a "joker" go for a serious person?

Am I too serious for him?
I was an early bloomer as maturity goes, several things in my past led me to a depression which matured me even more. My defense mechanism turns me into a very serious person, but once I'm relaxed and comfortable I can turn into a party carefree girl.
This guy I like turns to jokes when things go sour/serious in a bad/uncomfortable way. He's very funny in general and carefree but also because that's his coping mechanism.
He's 29, I'm 23 ... at one point he did imply us starting something, but my walls went up and I accidentally pushed him away. He said I'm too serious for him, that he could never see himself with a person like me, but it was just my reaction to an uncomfortable situation.
I really like him and I can't just forget all about it. Should I try a different approach, more relaxed, carefree, happy go lucky? Or hope that with time I'll get over him?

I see the situation as a win/win... he can help me take things less serious and enjoy life more (as he had for a time) and I could be there for the rough parts, someone he can depend on and trust.

What Guys Said 1

• "at one point he did imply us starting something, but my walls went up and I accidentally pushed him away. He said I'm too serious for him, that he could never see himself with a person like me, but it was just my reaction to an uncomfortable situation.

I really like him and I can't just forget all about it."

Just tell him this.

What Girls Said 1

• Tell him how you feel, but be warned. A Joker gets old quickly to a serious person. When you have bills and responsibilities to take care of, when they treat everything like a joke (including your emotions), shit gets old really quickly.

Its all fun and games until the responsibilities roll in and empathy is needed.