Is it necessary in your relationship that?

Do you think it's necessary that your boyfriend/girlfriend's family likes you? Like could you be in a relationship with someone if their family didn't accept you? I personally don't think I could do it if he is very close to them, it would be different if he barely saw them but it would still be pretty terrible I think.

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend lives at home, we've technically been together for a year, and his family pretty much hates me. Although I've realized they're more welcoming with me when his mother isn't home, so I'm guessing she's most of the hate towards me. On the other hand, my family loves my boyfriend and treats him like family, and he's thought of my family like his own. It's made seeing each other a tad bit more difficult, but we get through it.

• It's always a little bit more tough with the mom. Lol. But I can understand that, but I'm glad you are able to work through it. I don't think I would feel comfortable going over to his house to see him. I'm not good with that kind of stuff haha.

• Lol I see, strict is never fun when you're in a relationship. But that is crazy! Does she have a reason to be like this towards you?

• She's very picky I guess when it comes to her kids. His sister, who's in her 20's, still lives at home, has no boyfriend, graduated college, and just works. She wants them to just focus on school and work and pretty much have no social life, at least that's what I see. She's told him before we started dating that she didn't want him having a relationship. But we got together anyway. I guess having me in the picture irks her because he wants to spend time with me instead of what she wants. If that makes sense!

What Guys Said 2

• is it necessary? no.
    does it make life easier? yes.

i used to work with a guy, who had been with his girl almost 10 years (they were getting married on their 10yr anniversary) and their parents had never met. very early in the piece of of the parents had said or done something wrong in regards to the other family, so the couple decided not to have the families meet and it just stayed that way. to get around any complications with wedding invites, they decided to elope and go to vegas to get married.

i personally had a situation as well, where a girls father hated me, so she kept dating me in secret and then he found out again a year and a half later, and although still not happy, he realized it wasn't a phase, so he started to put effort in to be civil towards me because he could see that his daughter was happy. it did make things hard with all the sneaking around tho.

• Yes. I think so.

What Girls Said 3

• Necessary, no. Not if it's impossible to get them to like you for whatever reason. But is it a huge bonus? Definitely, especially if the relationship is a long-term one and has marriage potential.
    But generally, I feel like it's a lot easier for girls to impress their boyfriend's family. If you're smart, polite, down to earth and kind, they would be crazy not to like you. And if you're lacking in any of those areas, you could simply try being extra good when you're with them. It's not terribly difficult.

• I agree 100%!

• Yeah. My parents and I kinda disliked some of my brother's girlfriends, but that was often simply because they were kinda snobby/bitchy.

• Yeah, that's never a good thing. Lol.

• I used to be in a relationship where neither of us could tell our parents we were dating because they disliked each other. So now I do prefer if my boyfriends parents like me and I work hard to make them like me. I dress nice and act polite. I would of course stay with my boyfriend if his parents didn't like me but it might make the relationship harder.

• Hm, i wouldn't say it is highly important but i think it helps a lot . My boyfriend's family likes me. Especially his grandparents.. boy do they love me coming over to visit lol and his parents do too so i never experienced the family not liking me.

• Yeah I understand that. I met my boyfriends whole family within the second week of dating haha. They love me and I get along with them great. But I was just curious because I know there has to be some people that don't get along with they significant others family.

• I use to be too nice then i got sassy lol !! I'm friendly but then again.. Lol

• Lol and there's nothing wrong with a little sass !