Is a man who is 5'9" too short to date?

Hello everyone. So recently I read a poll that 80% of women wouldn't even consider dating a man under 6 feet tall. This seems silly to me, since that would rule out 80% of the male population!

My question to you ladies is this: would YOU consider dating a man that was 5'9" (I range anywhere from 5'9" to 5'10" throughout the day and depending on my posture) like me? Please, only honest answers, even if brutally honest. To be truthful, I stand at 5'11" with a good pair of boots, and if I head to any public place I can pretty much see the top of almost everyone's heads (I live in southeastern Ohio). I kind of fell like 6 foot is a magical number for women, and that most girls under 5'7" can't tell the difference between a man who's 5'9" and 6'0" unless they're lined up next to each other, I know I have trouble distinguishing heights between folks and I have a better vantage point than most women.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm actually feeling a lot better.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm 5'10" and have no problem. An inch difference between us isn't noticeable at all. If you focus on all the guys out there who are 6 feet or taller, then you're just going to work yourself up into some uncontrollable anxious thoughts.

I don't consider myself short and I don't see why you should either, just because you heard some girl or girls somewhere say that they only like 6+ feet. You mention that girls who are shorter won't be able to tell the difference between the two and that you "have a better vantage point than most women" anyway.

Firstly, you're not standing on a mountain lol. You're merely a few INCHES taller than most girls. That, to me, isn't some "better vantage point". Second, it's not about "vantage points", it's a matter of looking at someone and seeing how tall they are. Third, that is what we in the IT field call a "justification". It seems this height issue has you concerned enough that you're trying to downplay the idea of height entirely. That is why I'm answering this way: stop appeasing your own insecurities. Fighting to have an extra 2 inches with a different pair of shoes is more than likely screaming out to the people around you that YOU'RE the one with the height issue.

Some girls genuinely do like tall guys and won't be attracted to you. That's life man, get over it. Not everyone you come across is going to be ready to jump your bones. So if you run across a girl that isn't attracted to you because of your height, do you know what you do? Don't trouble yourself with trying to change her mind on height because you have a "better vantage point" about height.

It's all about how you carry yourself, my friend. If you let petty stuff like this trouble you, don't be surprised when nobody wants to be around you as a romantic partner.

• You know something, you're totally right. Thank you.

• I just starting having this "height complex" only a few days ago when I read the article. The boots are mentioned are regular steel-toe'd work boots, and I've been wearing them for a very long time, long before I had any insecurity about my height, so that's unrelated. I've actually been going through phases were I've been considered about various things regarding my demeanor and then getting over them. I think I'm having a quarter life crises. But anyway, thanks to you and others this height thing is starting to go away and I'm starting to feel normal again.

• Yeah, it's understandable. I used to have an issue with my body build, since I've always been a pretty slim/skinny guy. But even before I grew more into my build or started going to the gym later on, I had a random epiphany happen where I wondered "Why am I so concerned about this when nobody else around me seems to notice?"

And that's often the case with insecurities. We have traits or aspects about ourselves that are either visible to ourselves only, or only matter to ourselves. It became a lot easier for me to accept myself once I realized the age old quote:

"You are your own worst enemy"

What Girls Said 20

• I'm 5"5 my boyfriend is 5"6 I really don't give a shit about height. I don't want some dude stepping on my ass like a damn ant.

I hear tall girls are more hung up on the height thing, as they often deal with more sexism and stigma compared to the averaged height woman.

• I wouldn't mind at all. I am only 5'2, so I consider 5'9 tall.

• I would personally have no problem dating a guy who was 5'9". My only preference is that the guy be the same height as me or taller. Since I'm 5'6" then 5'9" would be just fine. The guy would just have to be okay with me being taller than him when I'm wearing heels because I love my high heels. :)

• no you aren't too short. I have dated as short as 5'6 before. and I am 5'10

• I would. I don't know how accurate that's is. I find that most girls don't care as long as he is a couple inches taller.

• Not for me I'm petite so anyone taller than 5'5 I'm okay with.

• I'm 5'0" so honestly 5'9" is tall for me. But height should not matter.

• I consider that tall because I am only 5"4 / 5"5

• I'm 5'3 and have dated a guy that was 5'7.. Typically I date taller guys but since Im short height isn't a big factor as long as he is taller than me. Muscle mass is more important than height for me

• nope, not too short for me.

• Well... I'm 5'8"... my boyfriend is 5'7".. And it's no issue :)

• I'm 5'2 so not really thats plenty taller than me

• You are reasonably fine but I prefer taller like 6'0 to 6'3. I'm 5'5. I just like a guy who I KNOW without doubt in my mind that can pick me up without struggling. I'm willing to date 5'8 and taller. But i still prefer 6'0 to 6'3.

• dailybolly.com/.../Salman-Khan.jpg

That guy is like 5'8-5'9 ish... your telling me he can't pick you up... -_-

• As for the pic, it is not me. But the fact you called her attractive tells me I am just as attractive because we look alike. She has my same birthday which i completely find odd. Ever since then i became a fab if this model. Only diff my eyes are Brown

• You just contradicted yourself big time!! Lmao

• I'm five foot ten and I would date a five foot nine guy. I have before.

• I'm 5'2 a guy that was 5'9 would be fine. I once dated a guy that was 5'5.

• not at all

• I'm 5'4, I consider that height average for a guy. And yeah I would date a guy that tall. I condsider that tall lol. Anyway, I don't care about how tall he is. If I feel happy when I am with him and vice versa then everything else comes second.

• I'm 5'9" so that is perfect haha. Guys at my college all seem to be shorter than me haha

Girls often say that they want guys 6 ft tall but really they're fine with any guy as long as he is taller than her/her height.

A lot of my female friends are tall and they are in long relationships with guys that are shorter than them so you may even get a girl who is taller than you ;)

• why is this such a big deal to you? Wouldn't you want to date someone who likes you for who you are and not ur height?

• I don't care how tall a guy is as long as he's taller than me. (5'8")

• That was always my understanding that women are happy as long as the guy is taller. I get that women want a hulking kind of guy who can protect them better, but gee whiz, I'd like a woman with perfect curves too, but if a cutie walked past me of average build that perfect ideal in my mind would evaporate.

What Guys Said 11

• Actors standing at 5'0"
    Danny Devito

Actors standing at 5'2"
    Dudley Moore

Actors at 5'4"
    Michael J Fox
    David Faustino
    Jason Alexander
    Emilio Estevez,
    Richard Dreyfus

Actors at 5'5"
    Dustin Hoffman
    Scott Caan
    Ernie Reyes, Jr.
    Daniel Radcliffe
    Woody Allen

Actors at 5'6"
    Jack Black
    Elijah Wood

Actors at 5'7"
    Tom Cruise
    Robert Downey, Jr.
    Josh Hutcherson
    Robin Williams
    Christian Slater
    Javier Bardem
    Al Pacino.

Actors at 5'8"
    Ben Stiller
    Mark Whalberg
    Jeremy Renner
    Don Cheadle

Actors at 5'9"
    Jason Statham

Catch the drift? ;) :D buddy you are taller than most people, you come under the 'tall category' not even average :D

• I'm 5'7 and I know most girls want a guy who is taller than them. Some say that if a guy is their height or shorter then the guy isn't "strong" or "manly" enough which is total bullshit. So when I was single i would generally only approach girls who were shorter than me. Now tho, my gf is 5'8, an inch taller than me. It's not even all that noticeable. i've learned to just stay away from girls with unreasonable assumptions like that.

• Come now. If 5'9 is too short to date, what would that say about me... as i am 5'5. You should count your blessings

• To some women yes.

I doubt its 80%, I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of women would RATHER date a guy over 6ft though.

I'm 5'9 and would highly suggest buying heel lifts or boots with a heel. I notice people treat me different with just an extra 2 inches of height.

• Just realised you said you already have a pair of boots that make you 5'11, I'll try reading next time :)

• Haha, it's cool. I must admit, I feel pretty good at 5'11". feelsgoodman

• Guy I'm 5'7" and still manage to get dates albeit with shorter women, but yeah I wouldn't mind going out with a taller woman, only slightly though since I don't want to have to get a step stool just to kiss you.

• Don't sweat it man, most guys aren't 6 foot tall, and just because they are 6 foot doesn't make them good dates. If all girls HAD to have 6 foot then the vast majority of women would be single.

• I'm 6-3 but overweight. The two cancel each other out :)

• 5"9 is very average for a man. Most women are shorter than that. So you shouldn't have much of a problem. If you were 4"9 that might be a problem.

• There are guys a lot shorter than you out there that would die to be your height.

• Despite what most women will tell you height is a huge deal breaker for a lot of them. Most women I talk to actually believe 6 foot is average even though it isn't. You are however correct that most of them can't tell the difference between one inch when meeting the guy in person. When meeting in person other factors come into play, rather than abstract numbers. If meeting women on the internet your height will play a larger role in whether or not they will consider you.

• I just tell the girl I make up the lost inches "DOWN THERE"...