How long should a break/no contact typically last? How to proceed?

A girl I was dating said she wasn't sure about getting into a relationship (which to me meant being FBO/bf-gf as we had already discussed and agreed to seeing each other exclusively), she never really stated what she meant by that, but after she said this I decided I would stop contacting. However that lasted two days and she texted me saying she missed me. To which I reciprocated and said it was good to hear from her.

Since then we went out once, which she indicated a great deal of interest in and afterward she said she would text me. Which she did. But since then the only communication has been text and it's gotten stale, and she turned down my invitations for other dates.

I'm just trying to figure out if she needs more time? or if perhaps I was wrong to ask her out again? Overall the lack of communication has been frustrating enough as is, and I think she has some issues to work out. We are both on spring break right now, so I know for sure we won't have any contact for at least a week. But I'm just wondering if perhaps I tried to push to quickly, and she needed more time to square things away in her head, just curious what is typical for these situations, for now I'm going to try and move on.

Most Helpful Girl

• Okay so I get this. As a girl, she's into you, but she knows its not the best thing for her right now. Talk to her, tell her you need to know what's going on... Does she need more time? Does she just want to be friends? Because if she's right for you it will work, but having said that, she should respect you enough to give you a straight answer about her thoughts. I hate lack of clarity personally and texting makes it hard. Texts are great for when your busy, but they lead to confusion. For example, if she's really busy and can't talk much, she could tell you in a text and call you latter... anyways my point is talk to her... because don't assume your done, because you never what it is going on in her life and people deserve the benifit of doubt.

What Girls Said 1

• It looks like you don't know what her intentions are or you can't read her. Why didn't you clarify this with her when you went out?
    At this point, I would let it be and see if she communicates with you again. If so, ask her out and talk it out otherwise you'll be in this shitty place once again. It looks like you're more invested in this then she is.

What Guys Said 2

• She knows you, and she has had the chance to meet you since you asked her to and she has turned them down, "taking a break" in 90% of cases means whatever you had, is going to end. Love is blind and irrespective of whatever else is going on, this is a person who despite your advances, has declined them for whatever reason. She clearly knows how you feel so i'd back off and if you haven't heard anything in a week or two then call it quits or at least ask for a straight answer since playing you and keeping you on hold isn't fair on you.

• "taking a break" is a death sentence to a relationship. She's letting you down easy