For the ladies... how old is too old for you to date?

I am a 36 year old man, recently divorced. To put it short and sweet, I didn't want children, my wife knew this, but changed her mind (and cheated on me). So I find myself in a conundrum. I'm too old to be considered young, but I look way younger than my age. Most people think I am late 20's, 30 tops. And there aren't that many women left single in my age bracket, and those who are available seem to all have ticking clocks. So I was wondering what women (say, mid 20's) think about dating someone my age. Even if only for a casual relationship. Is it something you would even consider? I'm interested in different opinions. Are there things about an older guy that are attractive to you? (like older guys are more likely to have their life together, own a house, know what they want, are past the "bar and video game" phase, etc.) Looking forward to your responses.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 24 and somewhat silly at times, not sure if a 36 year old who has been married would be ok with someone like me. It's great that you're past the video game stage lol, but I might end up being too immature for someone in their mid to late 30s. I think I would be open-minded enough to try but I think I would resent that you had been married before and had this whole other life.

• 23* oops

• Why would you be resentful that someone had been in a marriage before? Would it be any different if it were just a long term relationship? I mean no offense, but I think that does show a lack of maturity on your part if you cannot deal with someone having lived life prior to your entrance. Most everyone you meet will have at least some experiences and relationships and the baggage that comes with that.

• Oh I agree, it's immature of me, but I can't help feeling that way. I think it has to do a little with being possessive of him and a little with feeling jipped. He had already had his own wedding, honeymoon, all the new things married people do. I would want to experience that with someone who was also new to all of it, not with someone who is a pro at marriage lol. And yes, if you were in a relationship with someone for like 3+ years, I would still feel jealous about it. My brain is idiotic.

What Girls Said 11

• I am 25 and I would not date a guy 10 years older than me. Not casual hookup, not a relationship, not even give my phone number to.

I don't understand why some men don't just pursue women their own age. I'm not a huge stickler on age myself, but what's up with guys who are just so dead set on NOT dating women who were born in the same decade?

I also don't want a guy 5 years younger than me either because they are just developmentally behind, and I feel they are childish,

• Let's face it, it all depends on the person. I think that in order for you to find your ideal woman you need to remain open to all possibilities. Keeping in mind your deal breakers. It is funny, I have never wanted children either, but have always found men who didn't, or change their mind to my way of thinking. A child free life is exciting! You can go away on weekends without planning, sex is great, a beautiful home with breakables, My partner's sister has to take a pram, a nappy bag, and 30 minutes to pack to go for an 1 hour shop. You will find someone, just kept your eyes and heart open. Good luck.

• It depends on whether you want to raise her and take care of her financially or you want someone your own mentality? I look younger also-but will only date about 6 years younger then me. Otherwise nothing in common. Do you actually believe a women in her mid twenties doesn't want children? If they say they don't-they are not being truthful.

• So you are basically saying that 100% of women want to have kids, and that the ones who say they don't are lying. I can't believe that for a moment. Given the rise of childless couples and childless-by-choice (nearly 20% of the public) your statement cannot be true.

• It is more often then not a true statement. It is a rarity that a young women doesn't want children. If you find one that doesn't-you got lucky.

• I had casual things with guys in their early 30s, so the age in itself is not such a problem but I overthink the age difference. The "no children" thing would also be a deal breaker for me because even though I'm too young right, I know that I'll want my own kids at some point.

• I don't care as long as they are hot. Like if I had the opportunity to date Robert Downey Jr. I totally would even though he is old enough to be my dad

• I don't care the age. I just care does he treat me like a lady, is he honest with me, is he helpful, does he have a kind heart, is he a good person? All these interest me, age is just a detail in your ID card.

• My limit is 6/7 years older. But, I know some girls would date older than I would

• I would go out with someone 10-15 years older than me. I'm already in my late 30s though so not the demographic you're after! But even when I was in my 20s I was more interested in men that much older. I'm in the same situation as you, never wanted kids, 20 years of marriage later he decides he does and leaves. Now all I seem to find are men who have kids or who desperately want them!

• It's a real drag trying to find someone when you just know that children are not for you. I thought I had lucked out with my wife, but she was not being honest about her desires with me or herself.

• I don't know if I would because I'm not even 20 yet, but I know at least a couple of my friends (22-25) would do it without much thought.

• 5 years is the cutoff for me.

• My max would be 10-12 years older. Some guys look young for their age.

What Guys Said 0