Would you choose your pet or your partner?

A little backstory: I have a dog. I would never give him up because a man didn't like my dog. (I'm more likely to stop dating a guy if my dog doesn't like him!)

However, I was on a second date with a man and the subject came up. He said if his significant other didn't like his dog he would have no problems giving up his dog (whaa?)

Question: Would you ever give up a pet for a partner? Comment to explain why!

• Yes
  • No
  • Hell No
  • Maybe/I Don't Know

Most Helpful Girl

• Men are temporary. Cats are forever.

Just kidding. I'm actually pretty torn.
    I love my cat... I wouldn't ask my partner to give up his dog, even if it's a yappy little shithuahua. So I wouldn't expect him to ask me to give up my cat. And frankly we have both had our pets longer than we've been together. I don't think it's fair to ask your partner to do that, but at the same time I think it's silly to pick an animal over your partner..
    Ideally you could find some type of compromise, like animals only in a certain room. If it was allergies, that's understandable, but I probably wouldn't even want to be with someone who asked me to give up my cat simply cause they didn't want it around. So I guess it depends on the circumstances or reasoning behind them wanting the animal gone. Deathly allergic is a good reason and I would likely comply, but "i don't want the cat" is not a good reason and I would tell them to take a hike. Mostly because I would never ask someone to do that. For the record, my cat is extremely well behaved, so there would be no unruly behavior to cite as a reason :P

What Guys Said 8

• I think people and their pets should socialize with eachother and do their best to get comfortable with eachother.

If my pet does well socializing and warming up to my partner, then my pet stays. If it does not, then my pet goes. If my partner does well socializing and warming up to my pet, then my partner stays. If she does not, then my partner goes. In this way, they can both stay if they both do well, but they can both leave if they both do not do well.

Seems fair to me.

• I wouldn't give up an ant farm for a partner because I don't want to be controlled. If there was a acceptable reason to me I might.

• Depends on the reason and how long I knew the person. If it simply cause the didn't like it than no, but if it was for a legitimate reason like they where afraid of it or allergic to than I would consider. It all comes down to in the end who will bring happiness, which in most cases is a human being.

• Depend who came first honestly.. If my dog came first then she needs to get over it, she won't take my dog away from me.. If we've been dating long and we got a dog and she couldn't handle it then we'd find the dog a new home.unless i really like the dog and she's just too annoying, then its adios

• Hell no, she can fuck right off!

• Sounds like your male friend is lying too you

• I've loved my cat for many years now. I would not give her up for some girl I don't know very well. My cat is like part of my family. Very close to me.

• I don't think so, none of my pets that I would ever have would be of any trouble for any one

What Girls Said 6

• I think it would depend on the situation. If it's a guy I just started dating, no I would not choose him over my dog. If it's a long term partner who I could see a future with, then yes I would consider it.

In the end, pets are not more important to me than my loved ones. Don't get me wrong, I do love my pets, but they don't mean more to me than the human beings in my life (the few people that I truly love).

Also, if a long term partner chose his pet over me then I would question the entire relationship. Of course, I would never make my boyfriend get rid of his pet unless there was a legitimate problem. However, it would be a major turn-off to me and possibly a deal breaker if a guy's pet is more important to him than me even after several years of being together. Just my honest opinion.

• This one is hard, im currently in the process of having my dog get sent back to colorado, while my partner gets to keep his. So in a way, im kinda giving my dog away for him,(i think) but, the situation is very delicate. My dog attacking his because she, is super protective of the baby, and while it wouldn't be a bad idea to have friends take both dogs, his is super attached to hin and could never be seperated. So im doing the right thing and having my dog go back home (where she will nesuper happy with friends and family) and we are keeping his dog so she can enjoy her, pater years. Would I get rid of a dog because someone i was dating didn't like her? Hell no! My dog will always come forst in a situation like that.

• Yes I would and will give up my dog for my partner. My dog will be in good hands and well cared for and I can see him whenever I come home.

• My dog goes before any guy

• I dont think so but i might if that someone is believed to be special enough.

• 0|0