Is it tough to trust dates when you're making $100,000+ a year?

I would imagine a lot of guys would have no problem picking up dates if they're making a lot of money, but how would one determine if the date was in it for the money?

Also on the women side of things I hear it strikes a guy's ego if she's making more money. So would it be difficult to date?

Most Helpful Girl

• It is tough. I dated a dude with a six figure income for some time.. he really didn't have a problem talking about the money that he made, which is a mistake. But even if he didn't talk about it, looking around at his possessions it wasn't hard to see that he clearly made really good money. In prior relationships, and even relationships after ours ended, he made the mistake of giving women access to his money only to be screwed over in the end. He tried to give me access to it, but I wanted to show him that I didn't really give a shit about any of it, it was about him and I declined.

Just don't talk about your income with people unless you're serious with them and your financial situation is relevant, like you guys are considering getting married or moving into a place together. Definitely don't give them access to it before then either.

• That's pretty silly that he would give you access to his money (especially if you're financially stable). It was like he was asking for trouble. I'd imagine the second you used it he probably would have tried to make you look like a "gold digger" and accuse you of all the stuff his exes were doing.

• how do i know which girls are like that tho

• by the way can uanswer my questions please

What Girls Said 10

• personally if i was rich (this applies to if i was a guy too) i would pretend to be poor/average until a few years into the relationship. i would feel so paranoid that someone was only with me for the money if i told them i was rich and id never properly be happy with that sat in the back of my mind forever

• I was living with my boyfriend at the time and new that he wasn't make much and I was self employed and we never talked about how much money either of us made. we helped each other out and that's how it should be. when times were tough for him I paid for some extra things that he couldn't afford for example medical bills and dental bills. when times were tough for me which wasn't often he paid for groceries. its better to never talk about money because then you have to wonder if the guy/girl is with you because you make more money then one self.

• Your income is not something that you usually discuss on your first date. If a girl is asking you how much money you make on the first couple of dates, then she's probably got that at the top of her list. Then you have to ask yourself if that trait that she has (of being interested in her potential new boyfriend's financial status) is important to you too.

I think that men and women both should write up a 1-5 item list of things that they want their potential mate to have (deal-makers) and a list of 1-5 things that they will not negotiate (deal-breakers).

• Simple, if you have a lot of money and don't want girls to go after you because of your money: live a humble life. The more you surround yourself with expensive things, the more obvious it'll be that you're rich. Also don't talk about how much money you make.
    To me money makes no difference if we both make enough in order to survive. If I made more money than him, then so be it. I don't care, and it would be a shame if he did.

• I think most women a little older than you would much more prefer a guy with money.

• That wouldn't surprise me at all.

• The rich guys and also smart ones, will have pick women who are emotionally and financially independent and don't care about the amount they'd earn.

• i just don't give out that information.
    i always turn down men i don't find attractive. my clients include surgeons, lawyers, investment bankers, fashion designers, business owners, accountants and various executives. many of them are interested in me. who cares if a person makes over $100,000? i don't even want to know.

• I believe it is difficult to trust your date when you are making a lot, yes. Most of the guys that I have dated, I made way more than them. I didn't have a hard time trusting them at all. They never asked me to pick up the tab or to buy them anything. Once when a guy asks me to start buying him stuff, then from that point on, I do not trust.

• When I first tried online dating a lot of guys would stop talking to me once they found out what I did for a living because they assume someone with my job title makes a lot of money.

It was hard finding dates. So I learned to be vague with my job description, focus more on playful interactions, and whenever possible hang out with other professionals. Admittedly the guy I found is not a professional, but I don't care because he loves me for me.

• what do u do and how much do u make?

• If you click on my username you'll see. But even when I was still a student studying for that degree, it scared some guys knowing what my ultimate job will be.

• Income is something I don't discus when I'm dating.

• Simple.

Don't mention your money. Don't try to win her over by buying presents or treating her to fancy meals.

I'm turned off when a guy talks about how much he makes, honestly. It makes him sound desperate and one-dimensional.

• question to me treating her to fancy meals shows that u are commited to her b/c you're willing to sacrifice ur money to help improve ur future with her? its like showing how much ur invested into the relationship. thats how i see it is that way off?

• You shouldn't be investing in someone you've just met. You don't know anything about them. They might not be a good match or even a good person. If you want to spend money on your partner, save it for when the two of you are more serious.

What Guys Said 11

• I never reveal my income until quite far into the relationship. If the girl asks, she's probably a gold digger.

My gf knows I have a very high education level from the top school in the country. All she knows is that I never have money complaints. It's been 4 years, and I only told her how much I make a few weeks ago because we're filing our taxes as common-law for the first time.

• I make a lot more than that. You can almost always spot a gold digging bitch. If she is going to try to use me for my money, then I use her for sex, and get rid of her when she no longer interests me, but That's only for good diggers. I generally try to conceal how much $ I make for that reason. I show them just enough so they know that I am not some slouch douche bag that lives with mom and delivers pizza for a living, bit not enough to activate the greed monster.

• What do you do?

• I am what we like to call a "security consultant", "security contractor", "force multiplier". However you wish to call us.

• I didn make that much when I was single.

If I were single again I don't know so many high salaries in this city I wouldn't anticipate anyone going after that. Gold diggers here are looking for at least a quarter million a year I assume.

• You'll run out of women long before yo run out of money so enjoy - one will stick w/o the dough

• Well do you introduce yourself like "Hey my name is ____ I make 100,000+ a year" if so then yeah probably

• I would just not talk about. If anything I might act broke initially.

• No, not really. People tend to make their intentions known rather quickly.

• Never ever ever ever, under ANY circumstance tell a date how much you earn. If you have to lie about it and say you make like $30,000.

• You don't have to tell them about your income. If I made that much I wouldn't tell them.

• It could be. Golddiggers may be attracted.

• I don't personally know too many people who make $100k+ per year, and those that I do know of are typically married. Also, they've started from the bottom at their respective companies and worked their way up to the big pay day.

• Depends on where you live and what you do. All the people who work for me make 100k plus. We hire college kids for 80k/year out of school (none on my team tho).

It depends what circles you run in I guess. I tend to focus on career oriented with similar earning potential.

It would be different as an athlete making 10m a year because where do you find a peer?

However 100k isn't that much. I was over that mark by age 27.

• @AidenBlue what career were you in to be making that kind of money at age 27?