What does it mean to be high maintenance?

Why is this term usually used to describe girls and why is it seen as a bad thing

Most Helpful Guy

• As most of the guys have already answered your first question, I'll try to answer the second one :) The reason why guys don't like high maintenance girls is usually because that person requires more than she gives. It's basically like throwing away resources for nothing.
    one quote from somewhere is "to gain something one must present something of equal value" This just means balance, for a relationship to work you need balance and mutual love/affection to each other. If a relationshp is one-sided where one is always dominant, it isn't a good one. In short, people don't like inequality (#sexism) in any kind of situation. or that's the ideal world... I think.

Hopefully I have provided a valid answer!

• Yeah I think it's important for mutual love and affection to equally be shown on both sides of the relationship.
      You did provide a valid answer :)

What Guys Said 6

• High maintenance is when a girl is seldom pleased, with anything her fella does, she's always jealous, she's needy, she's bitchy she's everything, even the nice stuff and great stuff, which puts her in the grade of high maintenance. Have you ever come across a child who always says "I won't, but I want, no but can I, please, why not, don't care, whatever, this explains high maintenance, its a spoilt way to live, and it ends up a lonely one too, x

• Their emotional/mental makeup is such that vast amounts of energy must be spent to just begin to keep them on an even keel.

• High maintenance to me means that the person needs to be continuously pampered, either by themselves or by others, which will quite likely be an expensive habit to fund.

• The amount of effort required to keep a person happy should not exceed a certain amount; the term itself is actually "variable" to the onlooker as the more a person dedicates resources (time, money, and/or spiritual, physical, mental, emotional ) to themselves for whatever reason the less that the partner has access to.

So in some cases being High Maintenance to some people can be as simple as asking for $100 while to people who value their physical currencies more the $100 can be meaningless but they won't stop exercising for 3 hours a day no matter how special it is to you that your cousin is getting married at their normal workout time.

• To me, it means a diva, always has to be her way, can't do anything on her own (either genuinely or just plays that way cuz she thinks its 'cute' or something), always drama, drama, drama, gets annoyed when you do something on your own or with friends/family, scared to try anything new, scared of everything in general, etc.

• In that case being high maintenance is a very bad thing.

• For the most part, yes. However, some guys like that but most think it is exhausting.

• Hair, Nails, Makeup, branded everything, Heels.

They're mostly superficial and expensive to maintain.

What Girls Said 1

• Not sure why men only use it to describe women. But it usually refers to a person who requires a lot of effort to please, or someone that brings you a lot of drama and grief.