If a girl has the same name as my sister its a turn off, understandable or unreasonable?

For me, its an absolute deal breaker. I don't know why, but as soon as I find out she has the same name as my sister, she's immediately not an option in my book. To me dating someone with the same name as a sibling feels like incest, even though I know it technically isn't.

I don't really mind if she has the same name as one of my cousins, aunts. I don't even mind her having the same name as my mother, since I don't call my mother by name anyway.

44

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah...it's understandable. Maybe you'd just have to call them by a nickname haha. Thankfully my brothers have really unique names so I don't have to worry about that. I went on a date with a guy that had the same name as my sister though - (guy Joe, sister Jo haha) that was weird but I was fine with it. My sister was annoyed when I told her though!

• I wouldn't have a problem if a girl had the same name as one of my brothers, but my brother's name is a male only name anyway.

What Girls Said 3

• I think it's completely reasonable, I'm the same... It's just the idea of like calling out a siblings name in bed.. ewww

• I'd probably find it strange at first if I dated or even liked someone with my brother's name but I wouldn't rule him out before I got to know him

• I understand why you feel this way, but I think it's a little over the top to completely mark her as not dateable. If you got to know her for HER, the name would become irrelevant because you would come to know all of the things that make her a unique being, completely unlike your sister.

What Guys Said 4

• I don't have a sister, so my opinion doesn't really matter. But hypothetically if that happened to me. I agree it would be a little weird at first, but what if she's an amazing girl? going to throw her away cause she has the same name as a sibling... That's kinda messed up. Lol

• If you did have a sister, I guarantee your opinion would be very different.

• I don't think so. Names aren't important to me. Not going to let something as little as a name be a deal breaker.

• Each to their own. I was attracted to a girl with the same name as my sister and it was a little awkward to me but not necessarily a deal breaker.

• I have several nicknames for my sister, so it wouldn't bother me.

• Totally understandable. Ewwwwww.