How to break up with someone without hurting him?

I've been seeing this guy for only a few months, and he regards me as his girlfriend. He's sweet, caring and nice, I do like him quite a lot. I thought I was in love with him, but recently I realized I might not be as into him as I thought. The truth is, I kind of realized I'm not all that ready for a relationship yet (I'm only 18). I feel like I should break up with him because if I drag it out it's only going to hurt him more. I have no idea how I can do this though...is there any way I can break up with him without making him think it's his problem and not mine?

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh YAWN.

These are always set up the same, this common proposition of how nice the person is and how there was some form of depth and how it's more "you" than him or something and how you want to "protect".

Look, you're 18, so you're a brat. You want an easy way out, the whole "caring for him" is BS, let me tell you how you feel right now: You don't actually like him, you actually want to run around, and that whole "I'm not ready yet" is equivalent to "FUCK THIS SHIT I'M YOUNG!" which is basically saying that you've not half a mind for the person to begin with.

Just break up with him without the drama, spare us all the pain of listening to how... "intensely concerned" you are. Pft, dramatic waifs.

• You should fix YOUR life before coming here to comment. People just asking advice. You don't have to get all pissed.

• The thing about fixing one's life is that you can see the train wrecks of others. It's like the Old Folks say with that whole wisdom thing: "You ain't going to listen but you going to find out!"

What Guys Said 4

• The fact that you admit a relationship is a but much for you shows how mature you are. Tell him that, and if he is a s good as you claim him to be, he'll understand. I'm the type of guy that likes pure honesty

• Just tell him you want to be friends of you feel you don't want to continue. But feelings change if you are unsure don't do anything yet unless it bothers you.

• thanks...I'll give some thought to it before taking action :)

• Yeah, a girl did this with me...you can do to him the same way...but there is a difference... My girl wanted to be her best friend. But i acted like an ass and end up the things completely with her...

• honesty..tell him your too young...

What Girls Said 2

• U answered ur own question sweetie. Sit him down in a calm neutral place- coffee shop or a park and explain to him that u like him and u don't want to hurt his feelings by dragging out a relationship u can't fully put urself into bc ur not ready for a relationship, that u both are young and have so many things to experience that it wouldn't be fair to either of u to be tied down. That's how animosity, resentment and most of all hurt feelings develop. If ur still willing to be friends, let him know that. But make sure YOU draw a big fat line in the sand and DO NOT cross it. That means no drunken kisses or sex romps, and most of all keep ur hands to urself and no flirting! I cannot express how important that barrier is. And how much damage will be done if u bend the rules. Explain that if ur meant to be together it will happen, just not now.
    Best of luck sweetie.

• it is impossible rejection always hurts. Just do it gently , try to do it in person and tell him your feelings and be sincere