What does it mean when guy who never uses smiley faces suddenly texts just one smiley face?

We have been dating almost two months now. I have used smiley faces just twice before in our texts to see how he responds, but he never used smiley faces till today. I asked how his day was and he replied with one sad face. I continued the conversation with and we were doing well until he popped another weird emoji and I just left it at that because I thought he might have wanted to end the conversation. What is the meaning of him replying with just one emoji and they are not the generic smiley faces either, it had a weird hat on it? I thought it was weird because he had never used them before now and it has been almost two months.

What Guys Said 1

• It doesn't mean diddly squat. Some people aren't big on them and never use them. Others rarely use them, inky once in a blue moon. Some use them so much it's like an addiction. He used an Emoji, that is all. Do to read into things so much.

What Girls Said 1

• It means nothing. You're looking way too far into it.