Do romantic relationships start off as friendships?

do romantic relationships start off as friendships?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not all the time, but I think the best ones do. Plus, you don't necessarily have to waste time going through the motions of "dating" because you already know each other's quirks.

The only downside is that the "friendzone" could be a possibility, but as long as there's flirting and joking and some sort of sexual tension (even slight) between a girl friend, then there's likely no need to worry about the friendzone anyway.

• what is sexual tension

• the sort of "feeling" caused by flirting with each other. The unspoken knowing that you'd both jump each other's bones if the opportunity arose.

• I really hope i can get a gf.. I want one more than anything

What Girls Said 15

• Not all, but some can. My current boyfriend and I started off as friends back in high school till middle of last year when we started dating. I think it's a great way for some romantic relationships to start off as, due to being able to get really comfortable with each other and potentially learn about some views and opinions that would be awkward or risky to wait and find out after things are already official.

• Some do, which can be a great idea because for some people it's important to be friends first. My boyfriend and I started off as friends; we liked that we got to know each other in that capacity before we began dating. Now it's almost a year later and we're happier than ever because we built up that initial trust with each other before we fell in love :)

• Mine did and we have a great relationship because of that. I think that it's really important for friendship to be at the core of a relationship. You should be able to be friends with your significant other, otherwise there's no point. Not all relationships start out as friendships, but as long as both can find a way to grow together as friends as well as lovers, it will work out.

• But if I'm not attractive how will I ever get a gf

• Flirting with as many girls as possible.

• So its ok that I'm ugly?

• Not always, but it happens.

• why did the majority of girls say that they do?

• Isn't that what you're doing?

• Yes but I don't want her to know

• I prefer that way. I can not imagine myself jumping a relationship, without knowing him.
    I have to spend time with him. It grows by time for me. Of course attraction should be in it. Without it , it is just friendship.

• Mine certainly did. He wasn't my best friend which would have been awkward, but we know a ton about each other now and we're coming up on our four year anniversary next month!

• Not always, but lots of people in successful relationships say that their partner is like a best friend to them. It helps to have that strong foundation to make your relationship better. Also, you don't have the awkwardness of getting to know someone in a new relationship because you'll already know them pretty well.

• Sometimes. I prefer it that way. I think relationships that start off as friendships tend to be better and last longer.

• personally wouldn't want it any other way

• but wouldn't that be the friendzone?

• But it's hard though right?

• sure, but all things worth having are hard to some degree.

• Mostly. Lol.

• Sometimes :) and I prefer that way!

• Sometimes. It varies.

Part time lover and a full time friend -best relationships

• A Good portion of them do yes. The more successful ones

• Best to start off as friends

• My dream is that one day just one woman would think I'm handsome

• They can. Not always but many start off as friends

What Guys Said 3

• They can, sure, but they don't have to start off that way.

• how do they start off as

• If you don't know the person before romantic overtures are made.

• They can but its not always the case.

• Not really you usually just jump right in and start dating usually there is already sexual tension.

• the majority of women I have talked to say that it starts off as a friendship First

• Well not in my experience at least not here in college usually jump right in by second date already making out and sex on third or 4th date. Thats right after meeting a girl too. If both people like each other right off the bat no point in just "being friends". But it can and does happen.