Is it a good idea to date if you never want to get married?

Assuming you are a guy dead set against getting married/having a family... Should you even bother trying to meet women in the dating scene. It seems the majority, if not all women are looking for relationships to progress to that level of commitment.

One thing I am aware of is my weakness for women. I think it is very possible that I could be seduced into marriage and family even though it is something I don't want. It would seem the safest thing would be to use "professionals" for sexual purposes and avoid the dating scene altogether. I would think professionals are more likely to want to keep things strictly business and not try to seduce me into a commitment.

Any opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• Just be very clear up front that you don't want a serious commitment with the other person. It's hard to be seduced into a marriage/family, especially since at that point it's usually the commitment itself which keeps the relationship alive rather than attraction. Of course you could just survive off professionals, though that'd probably be expensive and would lack any real companionship.

Out of curiosity, why are you so against that much commitment?

• I don't care to be involved in the power struggles, constant compromises, duties, responsibilities, and legal obligations involved with marriage and children.

It was a long and painful process to gain some level of financial freedom and I don't want to give any of it up. Maybe one day I will change my mind, but not anytime soon.

• Well just realize that you'll be involved in all of those with every person you meet regardless of romantic involvement. And many committed partners decide to never get married to dodge the legalities, though not sure if I'd recommend that, lol.

What Girls Said 2

• Shoot maybe one day you will want to be married, but for now just date whoever. People set on marriage won't stay with somebody who isn't.

• why shouldn't you date? not all relationships and up in marriage as you already know, so why don't you have a great time together? maybe you change your mind someday maybe you don't, but why shouldn't you enjoy now? i don't think i like the idea of marriage too but i enjoy having a boyfriend and i had great times with them. don't worry, just have a great time if you like someone :)

What Guys Said 2

• Yes keep dating. We don't all want the same things in life. What you will get from dating will be wider experiences, being told about things you may not have considered, actually feeling part of real life moments and exploring the world with people.

You can't get any of that with hookers. As men we were born to explore. Don't worry about the future. You may change your mind about marriage or your may not, the focus should be on the journey of life...the outcome is always death.

• I'm like you. You'll be fine. Love only lasts a month or so even with insanely hot girls.