Can a guy truly be just friends with a girl he finds attractive?

Assuming the attraction is what lead to you being friends in the first place (which I think is a pretty accurate assumption), can feelings, both sexually and emotional (aside from caring for them as a friend), be completely absent in the friendship?

Most Helpful Guy

• I find that a lot of times I can be just friends with a woman, but in her mind it's not like that. I have a lot of female friends that are just that, friends. And I care for them emotionally, but not physically.

Then again, I wouldn't be friends with a woman I lusted for. I would need sexual gratification or I would not bother to hang out with her. Why torture myself?

What Guys Said 5

• It's extremely painful and unhealthy for the guy so I'd advise him to get outta Dodge.

• yeah , it is possible

• Yes, especially if the girl is in a relationship and he respects it

• No freakin way because the whole time I would be thinking about having sex with her.

• It does subside. Its complicated but I get like that with friends I initially didn't even find attractive sometimes. Longest intimate friendly relationship I've had thats like this is going four years strong right now

What Girls Said 2

• Ummm I think it depends. If perhaps you'd gotten to a level where he got to know you well enough that he did not find you "date-able" then this might happen. But he'd still find you physically attractive and likely want to hook up with you if you were for it.

I've personally never been in a male-female friendship with a guy that didn't want more. I was the reason it didn't go there. I don't mean that in a stuck up way, I just think it's very common. The guys usually become friends with you because of the attraction, and that doesn't usually go away.

• Probably. My best guy friend and I find each other attractive and we've only ever been platonic. However the attraction isn't what led to us being friends... we became friends because he was dating my close friend at the time. In fact he's still with her and they're engaged. :) So maybe we've only ever been platonic because he hasn't been single the entire time I've known him.