Why do girls think it's a good idea to "ignore" the guy they like?

I've seen a ton of questions like this recently, and it makes me wonder why they do this? If it's to make him miss you, it probably won't work. It usually has the opposite outcome.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes, some guys start taking girls for granted, and treat them in a certain way because they think no matter how they treat the girl, she's always going to be around. It really sucks, you know?
    Would you like it if the girl you like took you for granted?
    So to make them understand their importance, sometimes, girls ignore and have a no contact period.
    I know its Its hard to understand and you'll probably find it dumb...But then even Adam n Eve didn't know the taste of the forbidden fruit till they had it...
    You'll probably get it if a girl who you really like takes you for granted...

What Girls Said 10

• Something about creating a chase, something about having already been too vulnerable by showing their attraction to the guy, something about not wanting to be vulnerable or show "weakness" by showing their attraction to the guy (because yes, some people call liking someone a weakness, don't you tell me it's not often perceived the same from a male POV), and sometimes the girl is just getting over or has gotten over the guy she (used to) like (s), so she's not wasting her time giving him the light of day anymore. She could've also just given up.
    Personal anecdote now: I initiated contact with my crush, gave him my number and when I didn't get a call back, I decided to ignore him because if he doesn't think I'm worth a simple text, he wasn't worth me getting flustered about. And he's definitely not worth my attention anymore in any sort of way. So I'd be the girl ignoring you because you've hurt me, I've moved on, and because for me and my future, you don't deserve me looking up from my precious and important study material or life or whatever to look at you. (Which doesn't mean that you're not a deserving human, it's just in this case, I don't want to kiss/deal with you anymore. That aside, I'm sure you're lovely and awesome).

• I only ignore a guy (an not on purpose) if they ignore me. If they act like I don't exist-then I do the same. No big deal. I don't have time for drama and for games. The problem is? If I am ignoring you? It's because I am no longer interested. (and we were never friends to begin with-so why talk?)

• I always feel like the guy should chase me, to show his interest. usually I find that if a guy wants to talk to you he would. also, that putting up a 'chase' can prove to appeal to guys and make them want you more.

recently, I've been a lot more forward though and not ignoring guys. it actually works a lot better and I had no idea why I never expressed my feelings before :)

• Believe me guys lost interest quick

• oh gosh!! and have I been there… heartbroken many times! lol

it's better to change it up and tell people how you really feel because most people have no idea what you're thinking :)

might as well live in the moment and be forward rather than too shy and missing out on opportunities by thinking ignoring is good

• I agree 100%, thanks for your input.

• It works with a lot of people but not with everyone.

• because guys only notice girls when they are ignored

• Probably the same reason guys ignore girls that they like

• That be so stupid go up to him and she speak up

• That sometimes works for overeager and over-communicating people. What they see as "ignoring" will help dial them down to a normal level of interaction. I think that's how that technique gained popularity.

• Well i found out when a girl starting to care less then the guy starting to care more and other wise..
    People just need to appreciate eachother instead if being that stubborn

• I'm being ignored. I don't ignore him because I treat others the way I want to be treated. It's something about "the chase."

What Guys Said 3

• typically they won't ignore you if they like you however there are reasons why they might, i just saw earlier a question about if she did the wrong thing by ignoring him when he saw her in her car, not looking her best. she didn't want him seeing her like that (yet) and so she just ignored him. we'll see how she handles it

• Strong stupidity.

• That said, you can actually learn a lot of game by watching younger girls. They use tactics that would work on women on guys, foolishly.

• I have no idea. I am so confused about my crush right now. We both said we like each other, but that was like 2 months ago. Things change, and I don't know if she likes me, or is just playing with me. Usually she will stop me when we see each other and get hugs from me. On Friday she did, on Monday (today) she didn't even look in my direction once, and when I stopped her to give her a hug it was shorter than the half life of francium-215. Her grandma recently had a heart attack, and I asked her how she was doing, and she didn't even look at me to respond. Literally one night I will tell her I'll be busy, and then she told me to text her when I'm done and then I got a message asking if I can talk yet, and when I could talk to her after I was done, I got no response for the rest of the night, and I even tried three times the next day to no avail. I really don't understand. When we first admitted our feelings to each other, it seemed like we would be able to go strong, she would stop and hug me and talk when we saw each other in the halls. Then for a few weeks she completely ignored me, and I had almost gotten over her, when she decided that she wanted to stop ignoring me. Then we went through a period after that where it seemed like we would be going strong, I even asked her out (she couldn't make it due to her grandma) and now she's starting to ignore me again. WTF? Just tell me if you like me, and stop these stupid mind games!