Taylor Swift just murdered Apple Music... Justified?

Taylor Swift just murdered Apple Music...Justified?

The first thing that came to my mind when I heard about the Apple Music announcement is "doesn't matter...they won't get Taylor Swift's music and that's the only thing that's going to give them a big enough edge on Spotify given that she's the highest selling artist by far who refuses to put her music on spotify."

Of course, I wasn't wrong. Apple Music now doesn't stand a chance and is going to go the way of itunes radio. Yet, as much as I want to believe her defense of the music industry is genuine, it feels more like greed.

For one thing, she talks about the "struggling artist" and how she did this for him or her, yet new artists, even before spotify really became religion were handing out their music for free in order to build up a respectable fan base and only then they would start charging. The fact of the matter is Spotify helps artists compete with the Taylor Swift's of the world now that you don't have to make a decision between buying her cd and buying the cd of some country/pop singers you've never heard of. By refusing to compete with them in this space, she is effectively eliminating her competition and reinforcing a economic climate such that you see in the movie industry currently: either you make an insane ton of money or you make no money at all. Either you make cds with enourmous production costs or you compete with the millions of struggling artists who are making their music for basically free.

For another thing, she talks about how if Apple got rid of the free three month trial subscription, she would consider allowing her music to be streamed by their service. Apple is simply running a business and they realize that, even with Taylor Swift, three months of free music is a great incentive to try Apple Music even if you don't leave Spotify right away. It is an action that isn't taken lightly, but out of a healthy respect for the competition, which of course benefits the customer as competition always does. Yet, she wants to be paid for that first quarter of music presumably out of Apple's pocket. Realizing it will take far too long in an area of music distribution that they may never succeed in, Taylor Swift encourages Apple not simply to pay her while they lose money for three months, but to charge the consumer. This is a request which can only be of benefit to Taylor Swift, which she admits to, therefore, this "love letter" to Apple isn't that at all. It's a hostile demand to change their policies in order so that she can make more money even if Apple's business model, which has done wonders for her, falls by the wayside under the tyranny of Spotify. Yet, Apple is clearly willing to pay her a lot more for her music than Spotify is, possibly on a monthly basis and, who knows, maybe even related to her superior streams instead of just a blanket fee. Therefore, Taylor Swift's intense greed has also made her shortsighted.

There's a reason why more artists don't join Taylor Swift and it isn't about sales. Taylor Swift gets away with it simply because she is the only one who goes against the grain of Spotify and it is a large factor in why her last cd was the best selling record since "The Eminem Show." True, America likes blondes, but Taylor's "campaign for the artist" has put a lot of money in her personal pocket and very little in anyone else's-- not the consumer who has to go to itunes to buy her music instead of having it in their collection with the rest of their music on spotify, not Apple who led what felt like a year long campaign to help her promote 1989 giving up valuable ad space for an artist that probably didn't even need it, and not the "struggling artists" who will never NEVER get anyone to spend 20 dollars on their first album or even 10 dollars on their first EP.

Obviously, she should get paid. Artists should get paid. Teams should get paid. I think artists like Taylor Swift need to step back and allow their music to be streamed. I think Jay Z's business model for Tidal makes sense except for the fact that it does absoutley nothing for the "struggling artist" and doesn't pretend to instead opting to help making millionares and billionares more millions and billions (Taylor Swift streams her music on Tidal.)The way Taylor Swift conducts her brand is greedy, shortsighted, and, ultimatly, only benefitting herself.

pavlove is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 18

• My favorite youtuber did a video about all of this :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYonFgQVG_c

• Some of her songs are good. I have to admit I love the Bad Blood remix.

However, I did realize that the statement she wrote to Apple (that she posted to her tumblr account) was not in support of the starving artist. Why did she leave Spotify? Because they weren't paying enough. Why did she threaten to pull her music from Apple streaming? Because they offered three months free that would take away from money going into her pockets! I have no idea why the media believes she did this from the kindness of her heart! The media is so far up her ass it's ridiculous.

Remember when they used to make fun of her dating life? After the song "Shake it Off" came out all of them started acting like they never made fun of her because they don't want to be one of the "haters" she sings about in the song. TS patenting "this sick beat" and other lyrics was also an insult since she didn't come up with those phrases. They've been around for decades!

I've said it once and I'll say it again. TS has the best marketing, sales, and PR team in world because I don't understand the hype. Also the song "Shake it Off" has to be her worst single in my opinion. In the end TS is a business woman. She isn't mother Teresa and everything she does is a calculated business strategy. If she had written that statement without mentioning the struggling artist people would have called her out. Mention the struggling artist and now you're a hero and "woman of the year". Yes I did read an article where someone said she should get woman of the year award for this. smh

• i don't see the problem

• it was staged.

• i would empty my load all over her face if i had a dick but her music sucks.

• Well what you said about eliminating her competition in paragraph three isn't too accurate. You see, the majority of artists build a fan base on other free areas like YouTube, Twitter, and even live at their own performances. You always need to build a fan base before you upload to ITunes so people know you. Even if it was free, then the people who have built their fan bases and ready to sell their music won't get any of that money for a third of the year. Just think, everyone is going to download as much as they can for free in the first three months. There for, the majority of sales for someone's album would be for free, giving the people who already have a small following of people no income. I still wouldn't buy some unknown artists music even if it was for free unless I got some sort of reccomendation. You see, building a fan base isn't ITunes/ Apple Musics purose. Apple music's purpose is simply to sell the music. You can always build a fan base in many other ways, so Taylor Swift isn't exactly eliminating any competition.
    Also, Taylor Swift isn't known to be greedy. She is quite the opposite actually. Search up how much money she has given to other people this year alone. This month she gave $15,000 to a man who saved his family from a fire. A few weeks back she gave one of her fans $300 because she said she came from the Phillipines and could not afford anything but a plane ticket, so she had to sleep outside. She gave money to that girl so she could have food and a hotel to stay at. She always gives, and she never shares it online, itis always her fans wwho had these experiences.

Just my view on it, being a singer and fan of Taylor's. Sorry if this sounds offensive in any way, I don't meanit to come across like that

• Taylor Swift is overrated

• She's a greedy woman money gone to her head

• I didn't even know what Apple music was until I saw this but it's definitely changed my opinion on Taylor swift. She's greedy and selfish. I don't like her anymore.

• In terms of the struggling artists, i don't think she means artists who have yet to broker a record deal or are not yet making a living from their music alone. I think she is referring to signed artists or independent artists who rely on the money from their first album as their primary income. Or Independent labels that rely on an initial albums sales to stay open. I'm pretty sure a lot of those smaller labels also haven't signed up to apples 3 month free plan (which as you mentioned is simply a marketing tool to make apple more money) because it wouldn't be financially feasible, which is why their artists won't be on apple music and therefore essentially be absent from that market. I think in general this has less to do with individual musicians and more to do with the small businesses that represent and publish them.

• I liked a few of her earlier songs, but she's too country for me now. I do want to know where she got that dress...

• I'm a fan of Taylor Swift. Always will be. plot twist: I AGREE. She often plays the "selfless, innocent" persona that the media labeled her as from the beginning. She's not that dumb. She is striving for a complete takeover, she's lucky to have such a great marketing department. In some ways, she's genuine, in other's, she's fake. The thing that I've always loved about her is her songwriting. She's made me dream of being a songwriter since I was 8. That is why I will never stop loving her. However, reading her letter, I could easily pick up the feeling of 'wait-this isn't genuine at all.' and cringe when other artists are calling her a "hero". I only hope this actually does help up-and-coming artists like she claims it will. for now, I'm sticking with spotify. I may try the free three month trial, but if Swift is favored, it may require a boy cott. Very well stated take.

• I've always thought she was overrated. In her country days, everything was about getting revenge on her ex-boyfriends. Now, it's... something bizarre. She sounds like she sold her soul. Yet, retains some illusion of class. Which is some relief. Because the other two big ladies that sold their souls for fame are now complete trash. Miley in particular went off the rails. She gets history wrong, theology wrong, has no etiquette, and wears outfits so horrendous and demonic that I suddenly feel more comfortable around Lady Gaga - who was also a trashy weirdo.

Taylor vs. Miley is going to be a re-run of Norah Jones vs. Christian Aguilera. Both acts employ the "sex sells" angle, but it's a war of class vs. trash.

• I thought it was Taylor vs. Katy Perry?

• sold her soul?

• i dont get why she's doing this. i mean your music is already on youtube and i can listen to it for free. what are you trying to do? lol

• I know she stole a photohgrapher's work so I find this hilarious.

• Music is an art and was used, in those days, for entertainment and for a musician to express themself. Her and all the other musicians doing this show that all she they about is the money. This is how you tell the difference between an artist and a musician. Artists love making music more than making money.

• Hahaha Taylor's music doesn't even have enough level to be in my playlists. I think it's her lost. Spotify is better off without her. Even Alicia Keys is on spotify. Who is Taylor to b better than Alicia Keys and many other greater musicians?

• Alicia Keys puts exclusives on Tidal. What are your thoughts on that? Seems to me she's less greedy but still more interested in lining her pockets than giving her fans her art.

• i freaking love her! taylor swift is such an inspiration in everything she does. she is quality and everything about her screams great quality. she never half asses things. I think this letter was great, because she wasn't sticking up for herself, but for the working class musicians, who don't get enough compensation for their hard work. it makes no difference to her if she gets money from spotify or any other streaming service. She wants musicians to be fairly compensated for their art and she uses her fame as a platform to draw attention to the importance and value of music. I think she is incredible, it shows she cares about the world, not just herself :)

• Amen! You and I would get along just fine! I own all her music and she is so hot! A lot of her songs have to do with my life too. Especially her song, "MEAN!" That describes a lot of the people on here that are bashing her!

• break ups is so not all she writes about though!! Listen to these:

tied together with a smile -she wrote this about her bulimic friend who couldn't see her own beauty

a place in this world & the outside - both of these are about not belonging and looking for your calling in life

mary's song- about her neighbours' relationship (happy marriage, not break up)

love story- about the actual romeo and juliet, because she didn't like it that they both died , so she made a song with a less tragic ending

change- about independent record labels and how she believes that the underdog can succeed in the show business too

long live- tour memories. for her band and everyone that went on tour with her

the best day- she wrote this for her mother about her childhood and growing up

never grow up- again about growing up, she wrote this on her first night in her new apartment when she was feeling alone and too grown up

innocent- she wrote this song for kanye west after he humiliated her!!

• there's more!!!

mean -about a journalist who bullied her, but this is a great song for anyone who's going through bullying

back to december- she apologises in this one to her ex

fearless
      sparks fly
      enchanted
      ours
      22
      starlight
      the lucky one
      ronan - about a little boy who died of cancer
      welcome to new york
      blank space- making fun of herself so people like you won't
      shake it off
      you are in love
      bad blood
      new romantics- about our generation. a great song actually

could list more, but there isn't enough space. do your research before you make ignorant statements.
      she writes about things that inspire her and make her feel things and I wish everyone could express their feelings in such a beautiful way.

• I find her funny. I dowload her music as mp3 for free and before you ask, it's pretty decent quality. Not Tidal, but enough for me. Just look at how the doesn't want her music on Apple or Spotify but puts it on Tidal. It's all about the money. Taylor Swift is a talented, pretty, greedy bitch.

• That she is. She needs to be called out on it more often. Girls your age are her lifeblood her first, second, and third concern should be getting it to you the easiest way possible and then consider how to make that financially feasible for her as well.

• I have all of her music and you are awesome for liking her!

• Are you being sarcastic?

What Guys Said 31

• Taylor Swift being greedy? No, she's being a capitalist, which in America isn't a bad thing.

Why not make the most money you can, when u have the influence in American music that she does?

• That's not the same capitalist though. She will end up losing.

• You completely and totally missed what was going on here.

Apple, THE MOST VALUABLE COMPANY IN THE WORLD WITH THE LARGEST PILE OF CASH IN THE WORLD decided to start a streaming music service to compete with the dozen or so that already exist. To promote their new service, Apple decided to give a free 3-month trial of their service, which they have every right to do. However, Apple intended NOT to pay ANY artists, big or small, streaming royalties for their music for that 3-month period.

Again, Apple is fully within their rights to offer a free trial, but they are absolutely NOT in the right to compel artists and others to PAY for that free trial by deciding not to pay them for their work. Taylor Swift is exactly right about that.

It would be no different if I was starting a restaurant, and I decided to give away free food to people for the first week, and then told my food suppliers "sorry, I'm not paying for the food I ordered (and received) from you because I decided not to charge for it." Does anyone think it would be okay to do that?

Yes, Taylor Swift is very wealthy, and could afford to go without those streaming royalties. And, yes, it's easy to accuse her of greed (and, honestly, that could be a little true, but a bit of greed is good - it motivates people to be productive), but she is also using her powerful voice to help out all of the writers, producers, indie labels, and of course, artists, many of whom ARE up-and-coming and have no influence, to get paid what they are due. In most cases, it isn't much - a couple hundredths of a penny each time their song is played, but Swift has 100% of the moral high-ground here.

And, that's why Apple caved almost immediately and agreed to pay the artists for their music (like they normally would) for that 3-month period.

• I have a hard time buying that a mediocre pop artist is going to "murder" the world's largest multi-national company.

• not apple... apple music

• It absolutely isn't because of Taylor Swift. Spotify is just better in general.

• after she threatened to not give her music to apple music if they didn't pay every artist for the free trial they agreed to pay every artist for the three months now Apple is going to be at a huge loss

• I have read your whole take and I don't understand a shit from it, next time write in much more simpler English. When it's coming to Apple, fuck them, they are shit, every product you buy from them is overpriced and you can get better one elsewhere for soo much less money. Apple should bankrupt really. I'm just surprised that people still buying their products and services, I find it funny and in the same time ridiculous because who would pay few hundreds of pound for iPhone when you can get better phone for much less?

• Her musics shit, who gives a fuck

• Taylor Swift is greedy but her music is the shit it is amazing

• yeah if you have the mental capacity of a 16 year old girl

• LOL when I first read this I thought she had murdered Gwenyth Paltrow's daughter.

I guess that wouldn't be funny to GP...

• That's pretty fucked up.

• Music is the devil. And I'm not saying that just to be ironic or funny or cute. Devil worshipers have owned the music industry since the 60's and they use it to imprint subliminal messages in your subconscious. Your brain is like a computer, when you listen to music it's like going to a website full of adware and malware and turning Adblock Plus off. Science has proven this, you can learn something 100x faster if the person teaching you puts it in a song. Why do you think we have the alphabet song? To help kids memorize all those letters. When you listen to music you're letting the devil stick his penis in your ear basically.

• I don't listen to her music, intentionally which is not to say I dislike her or it. I do think she is attractive and would like to get down with her just once.

• She is queen, today she can play with the system as she wants to. Apart from it have a look at her ancestry, she is from a royal family and her forefathers controlled banks and economy, it's in their D. N. A to manipulate and change course of things to aid themselves.

• I think she is over paid already. Along with the vast majority of mainstream musicians and artists. Also, I think the fact that movie stars, famous musicians and pro-athletes are making six figures, while police officers, fire fighters and teachers are making a few dollars above minimum wage is proof that, as a country, our priorities are completely out of wack. Nicolas Cage isn't teaching the next generation the skills they need to be successful in life. Taylor Swift isn't out policing the streets. Lebron James isn't pulling people out of a burning building. So why should they be making six figures and be placed on a pedestal?

• very true. i've thought about that myself. i think that's why people don't really care when the entertainment industry cries about piracy.

• she didn't murder anyone Apple has the money to pay the artists but they wanted to keep it all to their selves

• Taylor Swift is a walking joke now. I used to like her and the way she conducted business, but now she's just a greedy feminist cunt who cares nothing for the "struggling" artist and everything for her own wealth and image. "Oh no, a tabloid didn't call me by name! I NEED FEMINISM!" No bitch, you need a chill pill.

• I have a hard time deciding which one I hate more; Apple or Taylor Swift. So I really don't care.

• haha why hate Apple? Because they aren't innovative anymore?

• Heh, thanks. I just got an android phone and I'm transferring my entire music library over to it. Goodbye Apple! :P

• Congratulations and good riddance. To tell you the truth, with my horri le experience with how music sounds on phones, I have stopped using phones to store my own music. I use dedicated mp3 players. Even I have an android phone though.

• I don't recall any news releases claiming Taylor Swift put a gun to anyone's head over at Apple. They are the ones who conceded QUICKLY to her clout, demonstrating openly that it is legitimate, honest, and well-earned. Everyone knows, including Taylor Swift, that there is no such thing as a free lunch. After any presumed 'trial period', the consumer is going to be suitably reamed enough to more than make up for it.
    And speaking of benefit to artists, don't forget that Ms. Swift has employed hundreds of them during her career as both a country and pop performer. I would think they count in your eleemosynary crusade for the downtrodden of the world.
    What seems largely forgotten is that Taylor allows her music to be disseminated electronically in spite of the fact that '1989' was designed to be what is called a 'concept' album. The most notable of these are the Beatles' 'White Album' and Elton John's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' and 'Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player'. These records contained librettos and colorful artwork designed to provide the listener with hours of enjoyment along with the music itself. In this regard, Taylor Swift attempts to give her fans the biggest bang for their buck.
    Please research more before you post.

• Let's see how Apple's margin of profit does after some time with Apple Music. I'm thinking about the reality of the music industry and about Apple's interests, because in order for Apple to compete with Spotify they have to make a profit with Apple Music or otherwise it won't make sense to continue it. Hundreds of artists? Spotify has given attention to thousands of artists through the way they distribute music. Look, don't talk about what Taylor allows... and don't compare her to the beatles. This isn't a question of how talented she is as an artist. This is about business and how she bullied Apple into giving her more money because she knows how desperate they are to beat spotify (who she asked the exact same thing from and was told no.) It may make sense in the short term to squeeze the bigger company since they have more money, but over the long term she is crippling that big company as the smaller company only gets bigger. Spotify is not a fad. Apple wouldn't invest this kind of

• money if it were. Don't just worship Taylor Swift so much that you lose your grip on logic. You are looking for ways to justify Taylor Swift despite facts. The facts are people can get their music from Spotify. The majority of artists are willing to endure the price that one free trial month puts on them the artist and not on spotify. Taylor Swift is not because she is a record setting artist. The logic she supposedly believes in doesn't make any sense given that many independent as well as mainstream artists have benefitted from being able to have their music delivered in this way rather than through purchasing individually. So, not only is Taylor Swift greedy but she pretends to not be greedy, which is worse. Taylor Swift will get paid mega bucks and Apple will lose god knows how much money. Then, we'll be right back where we started. I truly believe this selfish behavior is going to start a process of fans losing faith in her.

• @ Take Owner I'll take your age into account when discussing pop history, but you keep missing the point. How did Taylor Swift 'bully' anybody, other than being successful enough to wield her well-earned power over a corporation that is obviously no more influential than she?

• Apple don't need t swift there money man

• obv they do they were willing to change their policy and pay artists for those free months when their music is beings streamed for free which is a ton of money that they're not getting back just because Taylor Swift wouldn't let them use her music.

• Wait was this before Apple came out with all their products

• I'll just wait a few months and see who wins and agree with them.

• I think all musos should give these guys the finger. Bottom line, millions of dollars are made by someone and its not the musos who make it.

• I am pretty well against all of these streaming services, though I have had to buy music from them because the music was only available through one of these services. the only thing good about streaming is the fact that it doesn't produce any physical garbage.

the artists are creating something that people can enjoy. touring doesn't give them tons of money, they have to tour and sell their albums to make anything. people don't understand how much money it costs to rent a studio, hire a producer and sound engineer, move their equipment around and so on. and they don't get paid until they hit the radio, sell a cd, or hold a concert. and usually they don't sell out a concert unless they are super popular or rent a small place. and I believe that they might get 10 cents per album purchased, and not very much for each show they play while touring.

anyways napster came along and that's when shit started to hit the fan. that's when Metallica went nuts over this file sharing and downloading. If people are enjoying their product, then the artist deserves pay.

Taylor swift is trying her best to persuade and correct this movement, to bring the income from music back to the artist. rather than just going to a shit company like apple. the only thing apple deserves is money for ITunes or whatever.

I respect her for trying, because only someone with her popularity would be able to make anything happen.

• She won! (they should really allow you to edit/update your mytakes. I'm actually happy since it proves my point that Apple needs Taylor Swift so bad that they are willing to pay several percentage points higher for all the music they buy rights to in order to accommodate their 3 month free trial. (it's coming out of Apple's end.) Now, we have a really fight on our hands.

• So now, Taylor is greedy? I suppose. But she's no Leann Rhimes. We can at least be grateful for that.

• More from Guys
    11