The 10 greatest casting decisions in superhero history

1) Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark

Who could forget the man who started a multi billion dollar movie franchise with his uncanny wit and charisma? RDJ's Iron man remains THE most memorable character in the entire marvel cinematic universe to date. I can't think of a single person whos played a superhero better before or since

2) Heath Ledger as the Joker

What would the Chris Nolan films be without Heath Ledgers Joker? Incomplete, to say the least. I don't think i can say anything about the role that hasn't already been said. Some parts are good enough to die for.

3) Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin

Who else could capture that iconic psychotic grin better than willem dafoe? I'm still surprised reading the comics how well he nailed Norman Osbournes exact demeanor, as described by Ben Urich: "Of course it was him! those eyes, so full of hate, i couldnt believe they could belong to anyone else"

4) Hugh Jackman as the Wolverine

Hugh jackman is a hairy sardonic beast who kills people with fist knives. Nuff said.

5) Robin Lord Taylor as young Penguin

Who could better capture that charming mix of sniveling cowardice and opportunist sociopathy? Robin Lord taylor is the glue that holds the entire show of gotham together, and without his transformation from lowly peon and dead man to power hungry mob boss, they likely would have been cancelled after their first season. He provides the kind of villian you just can't help but root for, even though he has virtually no redeeming qualities and is creepy as fuck.

6) Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury

Marvel was toying around with the idea of a black Nick Fury before the movies came out but it never made it into the main canon. Comic book nerds might have gotten offended at the idea, but Samuel Jackson took the role and made it his own, and nailed down to a T exactly what makes Nick Fury so damn cool. Now he's made his way into the mainstream comic canon as Nick Fury, Jr. and its hard to see him played by anyone else.

7) J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson

Just watching his performance is enough to give you an ulcer, a migrane and permanent blood pressure issues

8) Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk

A lot of great things are being said about the new daredevil series, but I would have to say the top 2 things about it are, A, that epic one take fight scene in the hallway, and B, Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk. Forget Walter White, Wilson Fisk is the one who knocks. Knocks your fucking skull in with a car door.

9) Tom Hiddleston as Loki

Lets face it, there's not a whole lot of showstopping villians in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But Loki is definitely among the most memorable.

10) Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor

Smallville wasn't quite the same after lex luthor left. The friend turned frenemy turned full blown antagonist was the source of much of the shows main conflict and character developmment. I look back on his spiral into madness and obsession with fond memories of dirty politics and daddy issues.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 6

• I have no argument with any of these.

• I love this take 😍. I agree with most (haven't seen all of them) but the daredevil tv show is amazing! Fisk's actor is downright great. The scene with the head door smashing gave me the chills... There are many other great actors as villains. Also I think everyone in avengers suit their roles.

• I totally agree, you perfected it right at the end with Michael acting as Lex Luthor. I haven't seen Gotham or daredevil series but I'll take your word for it. I haveto mention Tony Stark as Downey (funny, he can be miserable lol..) back to the topic!- his superhero character is great but with those standalone Iron Man films they were so-Eh..
    Hey what's going on with Thor? I want to see Loki take his revenge, overall fantastic take! :D

• daredevil you have to see. gotham... just watch it for the penguin. like in the first few scenes you totally overlook him cause he's this sniveling underfoot figure but his evolution to a certifiable mob boss is just delicious

in age of ultron thor had the same vision of ragnarok that dr doom had in the comics after trying to grab thors hammer. i'm assuming he's been on earth since the events of the dark world and that gives loki a chance to play king, and picking a fight with thor would expose his tricks and kind of spoil his fun. But whatever he's laying the bricks for i bet it ties into ragnarok.

speaking of which i heard baron zemo is going to play a small role in Dr strange and a bigger role in civil war. if its anything like the comics he'll probably aquire the moonstones (or possibly an infinity stone, to keep with the canon) after the events of dr strange and gain the power to warp space and move between planes, which sets him up for a thunderbolts type situation in civil war

• Yes I was a bit unsure about Suicide Squad because some of the characters kinds of overlaps? Its fairly new to me with the casting and all that. I better prep up with avenger's infinity war, it sounds exciting.

• what? no they dont. suicide squad is pure dc.

infinity war is just what everything with thanos and the infinity stones has been leading up to. you know, the aether, the visions gem, the tesseract, and the power stone from guardians of the galaxy. there are like 2 more stones to be revealed before thanos goes and fucks shit up. no clue what he's going to do but its epic enough to be a 2 parter

• Great list! I agree with everything. Especially what you said about Vincent D'onofrio and Daredevil! Great show, to me the best super hero show at the moment. And Robert Downey Jr. was sinply born to play Iron Man.
    I would add Christian Bale as Batman to that list. He was a great Batman 😄

• the only problem with downey jr as iron man is he's almost too likeable. he's supposed to be sort of a villain during the events of civil war, at least he is in the comics, and i dont know if he's going to pull it off.

• MY only problem with Downey Jr is he can't seem to get this iron man personal out of hisasystem, and they have since become one and the same.

When it came out, I thought iron man 1 was amazing. Now I have no desire to watch it, and am disappointed every time I see iron man in anything else (by that I mean Robert Downey not playing a super hero, but it's iron man anyway)

• @Fortres right, yeah, i think people saw how great a job he did and they keep hiring him for the same type of roles. it has gotten a bit one note. i thought the sherlock holmes movies were great but since then benedict cumberbatch has kinda one upped him mainly by being more of an unbearable douche. those slow motion fight scenes are still dope though

• I definitely agree with the Joker, Tony Stark, Loki, and Penguin.

• I agree with this list, especially J. K. Simmons. You could have added a few honorable mentions though. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen were really good on-screen, even though I know them better as Captain Picard and Gandalf. I also think the entire cast of The Dark Knight trilogy was good. Great take :)

What Guys Said 21

• James Spader as Ultron. C'mon people!

• he was definitely a good fit. i love when he tears off that guys arm by accident and he's like, oh, i'm sorry, i'm sure that'll be ok

• Ian McKellan as Magneto.
    Patrick Stewart as Prof. X

• I WANT PICTURES OF SPIDERMAN!

• 4) Is a no. Wolverine is a midget. Hugh Jackman is 6'2.

• I know! Right? Like short muscular Irish men are in short supply? lol I mean if worse came to worse they could have found a Mexican without an accent to play Wolverine.

• Edward Norton as The Hulk
    Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
    Ian McKelland as Magneto
    Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Ironman
    Micheal Jai White as Spawn
    Heath Ledger as Joker
    Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool
    Wesley Snipes as Blade
    Samuel L. Jackson as Fury
    Chris Hemsworth as Thor

• No Christian bale? He changed the whole super hero movie industry!

• Heath Ledger died before they could make a sequel. Bad casting decision.

• hmmm I don't think Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury is a good choice, First off , he played Shaft, and Nick Fury was a younger buff guy. It should have been Terry Crews.

But the best one would have to be Hugh Jackman, He looks like the character.

• I'd like to comment about Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin. Dude it's as if they took Kingpin right out the comic books and into live action. He plays him so well. I'm blown away by this TV show. I can't wait for Punisher and Elektra to show up. It's going to be good.

• yeah the only difference is his shoulders are much broader but i'm not sure if someone with that kind of proportions even exists

• Yeah that's very true.

• Oh, so we're just going to forget about Micheal Clarke Duncan, huh? He seemed to fit the Kingpin's size standard just fine.

• Christopher Reeve as Superman?

Christian Bale as Batman?

Patrick Stewart as Professor X?

Henry Cavill as Superman?

• JK Simmons is without a shadow of a doubt the best casting decision I think that's ever been made in a superhero movie.

A casting decision SO perfect that future films about Spider-Man are actually SCARED to touch the character of JJJ again because they know JK Simmons' performance as the character was absolutely unbeatable.

I mean can you imagine that? Can you imagine a character in any fictional media that was played so well by an actor, other actors just didn't bother with the character ever again because it was too good? Not even Superman has received that kind of treatment.

Incidentally I'm interested to see how David Tennant will tackle the Purple Man. I've always wanted to see him play a sarcastic rapist, and now my wish is granted.

I'll admit I've never been a huge fan of RDJ as Stark, however. I think it's a good performance for ULTIMATE Tony Stark, but a lot of people say he's a good 616 interpretation of Stark, which I never really agreed with. 616 Stark was always a little more humble, not quite as ironic playboyish.

• stark 616 humble? fuck no. he and reed richards bet on fallacious predictions and gambled the entire future of the human race on their massive egos. his self fulfilling prophecy singlehandedly caused the civil war, the death of goliath, aunt may, and captain america, and gave the thunderbolts the power they wanted while turning his back on his closest friends. and yeah, he hated himself for it, or whatever, but he still DID it.

david tennant as purple man could either be incredibly good or way off base. we'll have to see

• Thank u my dear friend

• I think there's a few that deserve a place on that list -

Chloe Bennett as Quake
    cimg.tvgcdn.net/.../150420-news-agents-shield.jpg

Ron Perlman as Hellboy
    cdn.indiewire.com/.../

Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique
    www.flickeringmyth.com/.../...ue-in-2014-x-men.jpg

Chris Pratt as Star Lord
    vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

and most importantly, Chloe Grace Moretz as Hit Girl
    www.readjunk.com/.../news_1209_hitgirl.jpg

• Yes! Of course Chris Pratt as @Star_Lord
      Would u agree? Also Jennifer Lawerence is a good mystique

• @Fionna19 Awwwww, Thank you so much for the mention my lovely sis, OMG, Another star lord is here. If he don't agree with you, I'll agree with you, Yes her inside is good, She was induced by Magneto then become a villain.

• Why didn't they (the photographing company) use her regular bust? It's pretty damn nice on its own without photoshop. Anyone else disagree?
      (If you do, ofcourse I'll have to find an online link for a sanity test. Don't put me through that hassle. lol)

• What's this jk Simmons / j Jonah Jameson you speak of?

• jameson, the guy peter parker works for in the spiderman movies. Dead on for the character in the comics

• Ahh, makes sense. I walked out of spiderman 2 and never went back

• he was in spiderman 1. the guy who yelled a lot

• The list is pretty sound except for that Smallville guy. (#10) Never really watched the show.
    And as for Nick Fury, who the hell else would they have cast? Wesley Snipes... maybe?

• Smallville was legit.

• i just finished the civil war series. at what point does it happen? sometime mid 2007? cause its a white nick fury palling around with winter soldier during the events of Civil War

• The episode I saw happened last year, but I don't know if it took off or not. The last time I saw the Amazing Spiderman series, Nick Fury was bald; just like in the movies.

• 8 ) - 8) emoji needs to be fixed. Add it to exception or something like that. All #8 on this site are 8)

• How is HL not number one 0_0

• I felt like maybe he was just a bit overrated because he died making the part.

• No, that's not the only reason he brought views. His performance was incredible, and basically he stole the movie. He made it so that the Dark Knight put the other batman movies in its shadow. Robert Downey was okay, but in the Iron Man movies, not comparable to Heath Ledger

• I know he's great that's why I put him number two

• marvel has yet to fail with getting the cast correct.

• I think Heath Ledger should be #1.

• I disagree with 2 and 5... Jack Nicholson and Danny DeVito were much better as Joker and Penguin.

• Damn I loved Ledger

• depends on which comics. nicholson played the 1 dimensional joker. Ledger had depth to his psychopathy

• Joker in the comics was a different type of psychopath, he had sense of humor (Nicholson's Joker), Ledger did not.

• More from Guys
    1