GaG Bookclub: Gone Girl Discussion

GaG Bookclub: Gone Girl Discussion

@EmpatheticLady @vekin @Yusibear @xHoneyxBeex @Creativesmarts @MissPoirot @SensualScribe @SirenDep @zell0is0my0name @sherbearee @BelleGirl21 @Liveyyy @VampireEmpress @NatashaAnnJames @ixi10 @QueenofSexyFoxes @littlemermaid89 @existing_not_living

Greetings and Salutations! Let me just say thank you again to you guys for participating. I've had the idea for this bookclub for awhile and was afraid that no one would be interested. I'm glad that you all chose to be apart of it! It means a lot. With that's said, welcome to our very first discussion!

Questions:

1. How did you feel about the style of writing? (The constant change of POV)

2. What were your thoughts on Nick? Did they change throughout the book?

3. What were your thoughts on Amy? Did they change throughout the book?

4. We're you expecting the plot twist?

5. How did you feel about the ending?

For me, the constant change of POV was kind of annoying. It was like once I got into the vibe if Nick's story, it switched to Amy's and so on and so forth. I understood why the writer chose to use that style. To paint the different pictures. I felt bad for Nick pretty much up until Andy showed up. Then he became the bad guy in my eyes. But even after the writer introduced her and the affair, I still didn't really think he was guilty. A jackass, yes. Guilty, no. I only thought that he might be guilty once. I ending up feeling sorry for him again by the end. He married a psycho. Speaking of which, let's talk about Psycho Amy. From the very beginning I felt like something was off with her. She did a good job with the journal entries though. After she said that he hit her was the one time I thought Nick might actually have hurt her. I will commend the writer on the plot twist. I didn't see that one coming! I never expected that Amy would turn out to be that conniving. She was willing to kill herself to stick it to Nick. Then actually killing the other guy? Yeah, she was nuts. And I absolutely HATED the ending! Like what the hell? She got away with everything. Framing him. Murder. She basically traps him into staying with her. Wasn't the ending I'd hoped for, that's for sure.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts! Let's hear them. And feel free to discuss beyond the questions!

CHARismatic110 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 1

• I haven’t seen the movie so I didn't know what to expect at all of this book.
    I did like the style of writing, it was kind of refreshing to me. Maybe that was the reason that I didn’t want to stop reading, because it was really hard to lay the book aside.
    But still I have to say that the First part of the book was kind of dissapointing to me. After the First 200 pages it became more intresting.
    Firstly I thought about Nick that it was his own mistake that Amy did dissapear, because it was soon very clear that he didn’t do it. later I felt pity for him that although he made mistakes and wasn’t a very good husband.
    What to say about Amy? She is crazy!! Of course it took awhile before this was clear, firtsly I felt kind of pity for her to be the wife of Nick.
    I kind of expected what happend. The only thing that really surprised me was that she was pregnant at the end for real and that Nick tried to play a game with her, had thought he was broken before.
    I already told the First part was dissapointed to me, well the end was surely dissapointed, it was in my opion kind of an anticlimax.
    This is a great example of a book, that you think nice book but that’s it! I won’t recommend it to anyone and don’t think I will read it again.

• Yeah, it was a bit slow to pick up and the end just left me mad and wanting a different outcome. I wanted her to pay for something.

• would you read it again?

• Maybe. II aways try to read books at least twice.

What Girls Said 10

• I am so sorry, I haven't read it :( I could get it in our area. Plus, I have been very busy at school (it is my final year) and I have to read 7 books for school. I hope you will understand. The book does seem very exciting! I will try to read next month's book.

• OMG... I already wrote on the discussion but I forgot to hit the submit buttons on 30th September.. my bad. Just scrolled down all the vcomments and I didn't see mine...

1. I like the changing of POV, it makes me understand what's really going on inside Nick and Amy.
    2. My thoughts on Nick first, I thought he abused Amy, and then I thought of him as a weak man. He cheated and then he stayed with Amy even though he knew Amy is a psychopath. He felt he's a strong and smart person with Amy because Amy pushed him to be that person. I think he's weak as a man.
    3. Amy is a really smart and strong character. I thought she was a good regular housewife who was abused by Nick, but then, she made all of the schemes, scenario, the diary thing is genius, the game of the anniversary is even more genius. then, she killed the guy. She is a psychopath, she killed with cold blood to get back to Nick.
    4. I didn't see it coming, the twist. Great one, I like the element of surprise there. It made me curious to see the ending. how the story will be.
    5. I don't really like the ending. Nick stayed with Amy because Amy brings out the different side of him, and Amy getaway with all those crimes. A crazy ending, but it is what it is.

overall, I love the book, barely put the book down.

• I didn't like the book, because I didn't like neither his character nor hers. He was a coward who couldn't divorce his wife before starting an affair, so that she won't take his and his sister's bar, a cheat and he made his wife go back to his hometown, even though he knew she'd hate it there. She was a perfectionist, controlling, deceiving, money loving, pretentious and vengeful woman. I can see their reasoning for their actions, but it's not a healthy one. I believe they both have mental issues. I definitely liked Nick more, though, because he tried so hard and always managed to get himself in trouble regardless, he was socially awkward, he didn't know how to talk about his feelings and how to behave, and it was funny to watch him strive in front of the police. I definitely dislike Amy, she makes my stomach churn. She's pretending to be someone else most of the time, then she wonders why Nick is put off by her true personality. She can't love someone and then want to get revenge in such an evil way, she's thinking about herself before anyone else.

I was curious to see how the events would unravel though, despite knowing the ending by the reviews. I couldn't understand how the story would result to that, I couldn't believe it. I mean, I wanted Nick to publish his book and fight to win custody of the baby. I didn't expect him to give up, I 'm mad at him for giving up. I don't get his reasoning: 'Oh I 'll stay with this woman because noone else will fake her death for me', as if that's a good thing, or like he's not worthy enough to find someone better, or because there aren't any edgy women who aren't psychos. They 'll never be happy with each other, they will explode in anger and resentment eventually.

• Yeah, his reasons for staying were lame. He doesn't trust her, probably never will, but he stayed anyway. He still should've published the book.

• the ending just didn't seem natural, like the author changed her mind the last moment

• Can I ask, how do you drag yourself through a book you don't like in order to discuss it? Personally I can't read a book I don't like, it's physically impossible for me to take notice of what is being said.

• Well I haven't had to do that yet. But I'd have to keep telling myself that I committed to it so I have to do it. I didn't dislike this book tho.

• You forgot me 😀
    1. I had slowly gotten used to journal writing and descriptive of the storyline. I can judge that it was mostly based on Amy, in right because she kept the story spinning. It felt like I was reading a teenage girl's diary which was annoying, the focus could of been more drawn to her actions and plans, a criminal insight.
    2. Nick was the cheating unemotional ass in which most would be team Amy and then the shift of paying back and playing her game was a personality change and then when he was submissive at the end. I think he was portrayed stronger than the character Amy. We could see why he became the way he did but not her.
    3._Relating to the previous question Amy character can be hard to comprehend, her motives were brought early on so there was not a massive difference.
    4. No I did not think she would come back and hold Nick captive.
    5. It felt too original to be honest, certainly wasn't worth doing a movie about!.

• I didn't hear anything from you since I asked for September suggestions so I thought you quit. Your name is still on the lost, I just skipped over it.

And I have yet to see the movie but yeah, that ending. It could've been so much better

• @vekin Yes I've seen the movie. I think you should still watch it and compare to the book.

• Okay, thanks for the advice

• First of all, thank you for this idea! It was a wonderful way to pass the time, and I love the chance to discuss a book with others. I have not been able to do that in a long time. :) I've also wanted to read this book for a while now, so this gave me the push I needed to get to the library and actually read it.

Onto the questions at hand:

I know this tennis match of writing bothered you extremely, but I have to say that I did not mind it. I enjoyed being able to read the thoughts of the two main characters in a first-person style of writing. It really gave you a look into their personalities (real or made-up).

I felt sympathy for Nick throughout the book, though there is always that contempt when you learn that there was someone else in the picture for him. However, after reading on and learning of Amy's psychotic nature, I can't say I blame him at all for moving on to someone sweeter and more simple (not a negative thing). To be honest, I had heard comments from others before reading the book that spoiled it for me. I heard that Amy faked her death, so I knew right from the bat that Nick did not do it anyway, so I am sure that changed my opinion of him before even delving into the novel.

Again, since I heard about the plot twist before reading the book, I had a negative opinion of Amy from the start. I knew what she had done, and I hated her for it. However, I did not realize just how bad things were going to get, which made me really wish she were arrested or found dead. I realize how hateful that sounds, too, haha. That would incriminate Nick, though, so it would not have worked out in his favor more than likely.

4. Were you expecting the plot twist?

Yes, I was, in the sense that Amy framed Nick for her murder. It was spoiled for me, but that does not mean that I did not enjoy the story any less. It was nice to read that the husband was innocent as mentioned in the book as well.

5. How did you feel about the ending?

You and I already discussed this. I HATED it. The ending makes Nick seem like some wimp, giving into every one of Amy's sociopathic requests. I do not know how he, Go, Boney, and Tanner Bolt could have proven that Amy set up everything, but... just UGH.

• You didn't tell me the book was spoiled for you. But yes, I kind of ruined it for myself because the chapters in my Nook book have titles and I read through them and one of them was called "the return" but this was right before he found out that she framed him.

As for the ending, I agree. Nick totally wimped out. He should've kept trying. Or went ahead with the book!

• Seriously. They were so set on it being him they didn't even really try to look at other people.

• "It's always the husband" after all.

• I literally have only read the first chapter!

***hides in a corner from shame***

• the story style reminds me a bit of how Veronica Roth did Allegiant. so I liked that writing style... for when you're at the end of the series; for when you're already used to the characters. it seems awkward for a stand alone book, especially with mixing up the times that everything happened.

I like both the characters, but I feel like Nick's pov is a little more honest, since it's not all cheery at first and he wanted to expose everything. I was surprised that (spoiler!) Amy was the evil one in the about the 2nd half of the book!

and the ending... I like how Amy got karma in a way, before she went psycho and ruined any sanity in the book. but the ending was interesting... Nick didn't really have a choice. it was either stay with her, or let her ruin his and an (spoiler!) innocent's life as much as she could.

• I rather liked the tone of the book. Nick stayed fairly sympathetic for me, but Amy is a psychopath. He must be one too for staying with her. I could sense that twist coming from a mile away. Of course she did it. Of course they stayed together. He loves the drama. He wants to be famous. I'm not particularly pleased with the ending, but that's the sign of a good book, no?

• Like wasn't expecting the twist. I was trying to figure out what could have happened to her. But where did you get that he wants to he famous?

• I really wanted him to leave her.

• Same, but he never will because he lives for that drama.

• I unfortunately did not get a chance to read it. :( I am not sure if a book club is for me. I will try again this month. September was hectic for me.