Top Five Guy-Approved Rom-Coms

It's a cold, December Saturday night. Your significant other cuddles up close to you on the couch and says, "Let's watch a movie." You can feel the dread pile on as you wait for her suggestions.

"Not another 'Bride Wars' night," you think to yourself.

Don't fear because below I listed five guy-approved romantic comedies, brought to you by The Movie Network's guru Tim McMahon. These flicks are sure to please both parties and make for a successfully steamy evening in doors.

1. When Harry Met Sally

This smart comedy allows both the male and female leads, portrayed by Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan repectively, shine. The characters are relateable and timely, making it a classic that can be enjoyed during countless viewings.

2. 500 Days of Summer

Told from a male perspective, this film captures the significance behind a doomed relationship that opens your eyes to falling hard-and-fast in love. The characters are wonderfully charming, and your girl will appreciate the strong, female lead played by Zooey Deschanel.

3. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

What guy hasn't fallen in love with the "perfect" girl, only to get squashed and humiliated in the end. This Judd Apatow-helmed film stars Jason Segel as the pitiful, yet likable, lead who eventually meets his match when he takes an unplanned trip to Hawaii and comes face-to-face with Mila Kunis' smart, yet sexy, character.

4. Love Actually

With the holidays quickly approaching, this timeless tradition is full of awe-worthy moments and laughs. It's a thouroughly enjoable film that scales the wonderment of boyhood crushes to the difficulties of a lover lost. It's a Christmas-time must-see.

5. High Fidelity

Much like counting down this list, John Cusack plays a record store owner who counts down his past five girlfriends to find out what went wrong. Plus, who doesn't love a good John Cusack flick.

23

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

• I was a sleepless in seattle, you got mail, pretty woman, runaway bride and notebook kinda person.

• You forgot crazy stupid love, oh the humanity!

• #2 and #3 are lol

• Only saw the first one, and that was on a plane.

Not my kind of movies - she better like classic Clint Eastwood.

• Forgetting Sarah Marshal is a chick flick?

• Those all suck and I would never watch them.

• The part where they stomp Tim Robbins in the record shop is my favourite. "Patchouli stink" just put it over the top for me. XD

• The Princess Bride is also on the list.. who doesn't like the fire swamp

• Damn I was gonna say that.
      Classic romance, classic adventure, classic fantasy, classic comedy. That movie is brilliant.

• When Harry met Sally is a classic, I live that movie!

• blah. i would say pretty much none of these. forgetting sarah marshall was alright. i would pick:
    A) eternal sunshine
    B) warm bodies
    C) chuck
    D) she's out of your league

even then i feel like romantic comedies are just poor excuses for regular comedies which happen to have romance. the girly pandering just makes up for lack of an original concept, or very good comedy, or anything else that makes a good movie. i mean there's love stories in the matrix, or in fight club, the difference is there's more to it than that, not all the character development revolves around "i love this girl, how do i make her fall in love with me" which is frankly ego porn for girls

• oh i would also say Urusei Yatsura which is basically the only anime worth watching :) it is about boy meets alien, boy accidentally proposes to alien, alien falls deeply obsessively in love, boy tries to chase other girls, alien shocks him with lightning bolts. most of the show is spent with him trying to chase other girls and her getting pissed off and zapping him while she brings only misfortune and crazy bizarre situations, but there are some very adorable moments where he shows that he actually loves her and in one episode she has a chance to live in a parallel universe with a handsomer, more romantic, more faithful version of him and she chooses to leave it for her real darling which is indeed true love at its finest

• Romantic comedies are just porn for women, they distort your perception of reality and give you unrealistic expectations of real people

• Friends with Benefits is a great Rom-Com!

• I'll agree with 2 & 3, but not the rest.
    I actually like most romcoms anyway, but some of my favourites are: Just Friends, Easy A, 40 Year Old Virgin, American Pie, Clueless, 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, Chasing Amy, Lost in Translation...

• chasing amy yes
      we had to edit together a reshoot of that for film class

• 'Chasing Amy' isn't a rom-com, neither is 'Lost in translation'. 'American pie' barely qualifies as comedy, let alone romantic one it's more like "Look boobs, ha ha!".

• @gaaxure - I'll admit that it's debatable whether Lost In Translation qualifies as a romcom (I did put in a disclaimer saying as much, but then removed it because I didn't think anyone would be that anal), but there are certainly romcom elements to it. One professional review said, for example, "... it's also a wispy romantic comedy with little plot and some well-observed comic moments".
      The others are unquestionably romcoms. You need to watch them again.

• I have to agree.

• Leap year and Serendipity

• I loved all of those except number 3.

• Does Four Weddings and a Funeral count as a rom com? I thought that was awesome.

• I wonder if Sleepless In Seattle is a guy - approved rom-com

• Is the Princess Bride a Rom-Com or just an action Chick flick?

• 500 days of Summer, is just awesome. Biased by the male view. But still really awesome. It hits some fundamental male thoughts and actions like no other movie I've ever seen.

• Where in the heck is Terminator or Princess Bride? Hmmmm? ;)

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 3

• Ladies, please do not subject your innocent partners to this bullshit torture. He did nothing to deserve this and if he did do something, he still doesn't deserve watching this shit with you. Watch this on your own time. Do not cry about the fact that he left you. Thanks.

• love actually ♡

• Nice list! About Time is pretty awesome, too.