GaG Bookclub: A Lovely Bones Discussion

@vekin @MissPoirot @SirenDep @sherbearee @VampireEmpress @littlemermaid89 @Ccp16 @Noxifer626 @GirlsLie @AnOrdinaryGirl45 @Bluewater

GaG Bookclub: A Lovely Bones Discussion

Some of you may be wondering why you're tagged, and it's because you mentioned that you read the book before so I thought you might want to take part in the discussion.

Also, sorry for the lateness. It was originally supposed to be up on the 30th of last month. Life tends to get in the way though!

Lastly, there will be no book this month. I understand that a lot of people are taking final exams and are extra busy around this time because of the holidays and all. We will resume in January.

Ok, discussion time! These are just few questions to start us off. Feel free to add to it!

1. How do you feel about the author's decision to start off with the rape/murder of Susie?

2. What are your feelings on the narrative of the book?

3. Most of the book is set from Susie's idea of heaven. How do you feel about her ideas? What are your ideas about heaven?

4. What was your reaction to the way that Lindsay reacted?

5. Did you think that Mr. Harvey was going to get caught?

CHARismatic110 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 2

• 1) because the book start like that right away you got stuck in the story and so I liked it. Luckily it wasn't too detailed.

2) The narrative of the story is very original and so i liked it.

3) Her ideas are intresing. My idea of heaven is a light place, everyone is happy and everything beuatifull and no pain, no tears, no saddness.

4) I don't really remember her way of reacting.

5) I think he wouldn't get caught

• Yeah, I remember reading it for the first time and going "wow, she dies right away". And her sister kind of closes herself off. She becomes like a hard shell not public, but in private she's torn up

• oh it wasn't the first time you have read it?

It's understandable how she acted that everyone was like "her sister died "...

• 1) Meh.
    2) Fascinating, certainly, but somewhat... bland. It gives a "I made this to be a tearjerker" feel to it.
    3) As good as any other idea of Heaven I guess. I personally believe that everyone goes to the same place after death and has to live and endless life with all the other dead people.
    4) Understandable, considering her sister had died and all that.
    5) We will never know.

PS: You get into your friend's body and have sex with her boyfriend? If that's not a bad friend, I don't know what a bad friend is.

What Girls Said 4

• I think it was a good idea to start the book off that way. it gives a different perspective than just the classic murder/mystery storyline would have.

I didn't really like the multiple different stories... I wanted to hear more about Susie herself. but I honestly thought it was funny that two teens beat up her father so easily.

I would hope I wouldn't come back as a ghost. I don't think anyone would expect heaven to be that... but I thought it was interesting that they tried to sympathize with the killer there a bit.

I don't remember about her too much... her story was overshadowed in my mind with what Ruth and Ray and Susie did together.

I'd hoped he'd suffer differently. and I don't know why Susie was happy at the end... she didn't get justice in my eyes.

• Interesting. I think it would've been a bit boring to just hear about Susie, but that's just me.

• 1. I knew she was going to die in the beginning, but I didn't really think about how, so I was caught off guard a little. But I knew when he approached her what was going to happen. Thankfully it wasn't too graphic, but still. So terrible what he did :(

2. I enjoyed the different points of view. I don't think it would have had the same impact if it was just Susie watching them; I like that instead we got to see inside the minds of the people affected by her death.

3. I think her idea of heaven reminds me of something else I read or watched years back, but I can't remember what it was...

4. I thought it was realistic the way she reacted at first. I think I'd probably react similarly if I were in her place because I have a tendency to isolate myself regardless of my mood, and the more stressed I am, the more I withdraw from people. So when she became colder and hardened herself I thought it made sense.

5. I was pretty certain Mr. Harvey was going to get caught. It was killing me when almost no one believed he was guilty, and I didn't think he'd get away with it in the end.

• Yeah, I'm glad the author didn't get into much detail. I also liked to see how each person dealt with her death. When I first read it, I thought Mr. Harvey was going to get away with it. Glad he didn't.

• I didn't read the book because there was no voting for it. I do understand your reasoning for not doing a voting, that almost nobody cared to vote, but I still believe it's not fair. I do want to be a part of the bookclub, but only if we are able to decide on which book to read as a team.

• That's fine. Like I said, you don't have to be apart of it. There's no point in having a vote if no one votes. I won't tag you anymore.

• I'd vote if there was a choise

• Well, I guess we'll see come January. Hopefully more people will join.

• 1. I feel like it made me hooked on the book instantly since I love reading murder mystery novel. Even want to write my own one day

2. I really enjoyed reading how it was written especially from Susie's point of view in heaven.

3. I thought it was really interesting (I do not remember too much details since I read the book long time ago). But I do remember that she met other people in heaven as well. I am not sure about my idea of heaven though, maybe I'll know someday.

4. I think it was good of her to move on from her sister's death, and Jack helped her take her focus from Susie.

5. Yes I did know he was going to get caught. It was nice of the author to give that closure to the readers.

And thank you lovely, this was fun to write ♥️