My Top 10 Anime Movies Of All Time

I personally feel anime is a grossly underrated genre in the movies category in general. It also sucks that Disney animated fare waaaay better than these gems. There are so many good anime's out there. So many to choose and none would disappoint. So reluctantly, I'm gonna choose MY list of top 10 anime movies. I'd like whoevers reading to post the the top five anime movies they've seen so that I can watch the ones I haven't, review them and update this take. Right, so without further ado.

10. Howl's Moving Castle

My Top 10 Anime Movies Of All Time.Yes! This list starts with a bang. Howl's Moving Castle is one of finest pieces of anime I've ever seen. Hayao Miyazaki is amongst the greatest anime directors of all time and this movie illustrates exactly why. This fantasy romance is worth a watch for any anime lover out there. Without giving away too much, the story blends on the adventures of a girl and a wizard caught in middle of a war. Words do not give it justice. A picture is worth a thousand words. This anime is worth millions. Literally.

9. Neon Genesis: Rebuild Of Evangelion

Neon Genisis.... What can I say? I haven't seen a more crazed after and controversial anime. Along with high tension drama, fan reaction and a few death threats. This anime perhaps catapulted the mecha genre to new highs. Also know for its reflections on humanity. Realistic protagonists and its ruthlessly oppressive atmosphere. This anime cemented its legacy in a variety manga, anime series, spin offs and movies(ofcourse). I'm giving this spot for the Rebuild Of Evangelion tetralogy. The last movie is supposed to come out this year. But based on what I've seen. It will not disappoint.

8. Spirited Away

Spirited Away! Yes another Miyazaki masterpiece. What can I say? I cannot recommend a better first anime movie than this. The subtlety, innocence and resolve of this adorable protagonist will steal your heart. This is an excellent addition to your anime list if you haven't watched it. So watch it, watch it and.... Yeah, watch it.

7. Ghost In The Shell

So... This anime is difficult to recommend just because its awesome. So awesome. Badass protagonists. Badass antagonists. Cyberpunk done right. Yes. Exactly, makes Blade Runner look like Sesame Street. This sprawling anime will leave your jaw open while you watch what the beautifully directed animation cut lines in your head. Hell yeah. Even if not for the story, this is a must watch for its aesthetics. The story is awesome by the way. AWESOME!!! Phew, sorry. Also there's supposed to be a 2017 Scarlett Johansson starter based on this movie. Hope they do it right.

6. Samurai X: Trust And Betrayal

Sob. Strictly speaking this is an OVA. BUT.... All the four episodes strike together to make a movie about two hours long. This is anime greatness. I wish that I'd placed it higher on the list but as a fan of the series I'd admit to being biased. This masterpiece will move you to tears. There hasn't been a single person that I've showed it to who hasn't shed a tear. The soundtracks, the story, the swordplay, the animation, the characters, what the hell, the whole bloody package. This is my personal recommendation for a mature touching anime. Watch it, absorb it and you will wonder why the west doesn't make stuff like this.

5. Dragonball Z: Resurrection 'F'

Its Dragonball Z.... Need I say more? Sigh. Ok. Now, if you haven't watched Toonami. I'm sorry. You've missed out on your childhood. This anime is the reason why most people turn to anime in the first place. Now talking about the movie. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a theatrical screening of the movie and I was blown away. That should not mean you shouldn't catch it on the small screen though. This is the perfect way to get your adrenaline pumping. So.. Put on your power readers and go Kame Hame...

4. Grave Of The Fireflies

Yes. This movie... One word. Haunting. It will haunt you. So I will tell you in the very beginning, if you do not do tragedies. Do not go for this. This isn't for everyone. After this movie ended, I sat and wept for a full twenty minutes. Its so beautifully done. This movie manages to do a Schindler's List. Its rare for a movie to potray war like that. Even rarer for an anime. If you can steel your heart, this movie is definitely a must watch.

3. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Yep, this is probably the top romance anime movie on this list. If time travel is your thing, hell yeah. This movie is so refreshing. The humor, the scientific explanations, the romance, the characters and the visuals. They're all excellent. Pick this up for a romantic afternoon with your partner. You will not regret it.

2. Steam Boy

Yep. Before you go hating me, pure anime lovers. In this anime's defense. Its a technical masterpiece. Its grand, probably the most expensive anime made here. This is soooo good. You will lose yourself to the visual. Not to mention it has a good story to boot too.

And dumdumdumdum

1. Akira

Yes! Hell yes! This is the greatest anime movie of all time. The godfather of anime films. This movie perhaps changed the way people saw animes. The outstanding visuals, plot, characters, mad science, philosophy of this movie is unrivaled. So, this is my must watch anime film for any of you, anime fans or non anime fans, it deserves your attention.

Afterword:

So, before you bust my balls. This is my list. If you disagree, please post. I'd actually be happy to view the movies you think deserve the best spot and I shall edit it accordingly.

Honorable Mentions:

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, The Animatrix and several more really.

Top 10 Anime Movies List - Part II

Chief16 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• @Nik1hil
    I don't know any of those movies except for spirited away which I loved it. ^^The only other anime movie I remember seeing is my neighbor totoro. I had seen this movie as a kid so I don't remember to much about it except certain parts.

I normally just watch anime and read manage. I tend to not go for the movies.

• Allllllll of Studio Ghibli <3

• I have almost seen all of these! HUGE High five anime lover! lol ! I am more of romantic anime!

• spirited away is #1 for me

• Yeah, but its too generic in my taste. If you've been watching anime for a long time, you'd call it a great movie but definitely not something you'd put on the very top. Me? I've been doing anime since I was 4.

• Let me preface to say that I typically hate Japanese anime. I love Disney's animated movies because they are cute looking and have plots I really like... but I just think the art style, voice acting, body movements, and plot of Japanese anime looks and sounds silly. That's just my opinion on it, agree or disagree.

With that said, I've tried the style many times. There has only been one anime that I have absolutely loved and not turned off after the first 20 minutes and it's Spirited Away. I absolutely love the plot of that movie, it's really awesome. I have tried other anime from that same director but never liked any of them. So I am a one hit wonder when it comes to anime, and I definitely recommend Spirited Away to anyone that likes (or maybe even dislikes) anime!

He did a really nice job on that anime, and this is a good take. Very interesting. Maybe I'll give it another go, who knows.

• Cool, my favorite out of these is Dragonball Z: Resurrection 'F' :D

• guys who love this stuff are fucking cute. love ur list!

• This is a pretty good list! I'm def adding some of these to my to do list!

• Glad I could contribute. So what's your favorite anime movie?

• I REALLY loved Summer Wars and Metropolis but I'm not sure if they compete with Spirited Away :/

• Yeah, well. Its unfair to compare them to Spirited Away but they're really great for being movies from smaller studios.

• Howl's moving castle is the best anime movie of all the time ❤

• Yeah. At one time, I thought so too. So give me your list.

• I give this MyTake 5 stars

I haven't watched many anime movies yet. But Myiazaki movies are usually always worthwhile (I have watched both Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away, but somehoe the 1st was the one to blow me away).

And Samurai X come on! That whole series is amazing. I remember watching it on general cable when I was 6 years old (even then, although violent, I was amazed by this masterpiece). I will probably rewatch it soon.

• yep ^^

My childhood fave. Can't not mention it

• Understood.

What Guys Said 16

• No list is complete without Code Geass

• how is anime underrated when so many people love them? if anything, theyre overrated.

• you see so many craze about anime. there's even a site for anime called myanimelist. How r they underrated?

• Because Asians contribute most of them. And Asians are also near 60% of the worlds total population. You don't see Japanese anime movies grossing anything nearly as a western animated film.

• My number one is One Piece: Strong World.

• I could a write whole 20000 word limit MyTake on One Piece and that wouldn't be enough. I'm just waiting for them to conclude it.

• What? Why not? I also support ZoroxRobin.

• There's just no canon proof and Oda has given MANY subtle hints of LuffyxNami to be canon. But look, can we just agree that One Piece is awesome? I really don't wanna go arguing this again like I have with other people.

• Grave of the Fireflies is too damn good... I cried like a bitch while watching that one...

• 2, 3,4 and 5 I haven't seen yet.

I thought the rest were quite good.

• Well, you've watched Akira. You're a comrade in my book.

• It was good, the crushing death thing made me cringe but it was still a good movie.

• Yeah, for a 1988 film. Its plenty spectacular.

• You Sir have good taste in Anime and not those who like that Kawai (Secretly Pedophile) type shit. I salute you.

www.quickmeme.com/.../...47932c5d65e826bb5dda4.jpg

• Number 1 has to be my absolute favorite!

• There's some good ones one there. Have you ever seen Macross Plus?

• No. I will check it out. Thanks.

• It's a sequel to a TV anime show Macross/Robotech so it'd probably make more sense if you saw that first.

It has Bryan Cranston voicing the main character.

• I want to hear what @Mustachekitteh wants to say

• How can you exclude "Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend" :)?

• Sky Crawlers is a good one. Beautifully made.

• Ghost in the shell.

NUDITY IN ANIME RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

• Good list, my only complaint is that the picture from "The girl who leapt through time" is actually from the 3 part movie "5 centimeters per second", which is another pretty good anime (although not top 10 worthy). Other then that it looks good, I would put "Castle in the Sky" on here somewhere too. I know we dont want to flood the top 10 with Miyazaki films, but Castle in the Sky had such an incredible storyline, and characters that it has to be on there somewhere. Otherwise good job!

• We could do a top ten Miyazaki list. But thanks, I haven't seen Castle in the Sky. I'll be catching it tomorrow.

• Well you are in for a treat because I think I liked Castle in the Sky better then Spirited Away or My Neighbor Totoro, good luck watching it because its fantastic!

• Decent list but you're missing Finding Nemo and Monster's Inc.

• Um. This is an exclusive Japanese feature. I'll do one for Hollywood anime's later.

• Howl's Moving Castle was in the list.

Approved.

(Nice take! :) )

• This is a great list, but mine would be different. I'll just do a top 5.

5. Princess Mononoke

upload.wikimedia.org/.../Princess_Mononoke.png

4. Castle In the Sky

www.mildlypleased.com/.../...e-sky_wallpaper-2.jpg

3. Grave of the Fireflies

laraandthereelboy.files.wordpress.com/.../...1.jpg

2. Vampire Hunter D

nichegamer.com/.../vampire-hunter-d-07-01-15-1.jpg

1. Spirited Away

filmfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/.../...ed-away-3.jpg

I never considered anime as the same as cartoons like Disney. It's different. It is a shame that anime isn't as popular as it should be in the USA, but then again we have so much other stuff (movies, our own cartoons, TV shows, etc.) so it's understandable.