Why Rey Is Going Too Far

Ah, yes. You've seen her fairly cute mug all over the net.

Why Rey Is Going Too Far

And some people are irate, for whatever reason. Let me explain why JJ went way too far with Rey in Star Wars, and showed that today's feminism seems to mean "Girls can do everything better than guys".

In the course of one movie, Rey goes from being a scavenger on a hell hole world, to showing, mainly... she--

1. Is a skilled pilot, who can jump in the Millenium Falcon and expertly fly it against Imperial Tie pilots without hesitation or training or practice.

2. Is a skilled Jedi who can use mind tricks and manipulate the force with literally Zero training

3. Is a master fighter who literally grabs a lightsaber and takes on a trained, evil fighter who apparently is so skilled he murdered all of Luke Skywalker's jedi pupils. Apparently by himself?

Let's compare her to a legendary Jedi from the earlier Star Wars movies, Obi-Wan, to show the female vs male standard here. (Neither Obi-Wan or Rey are magical "chosen ones" so it is a good comparision.)

Let's look at Obi-Wan Kenobi's achievements.

Phantom Menace: Obi-Wan is roughly the same age as Rey, give or take, but he has spent his entire life being trained as a Jedi, and is the apprentice of Jedi Master Qui-Jon.

He is a skilled lightsaber fighter, and can use the force. He also gets told repeatedly he has much to learn, gets snubbed by the council when he asks to try out for the Jedi Trials, and literally wins his duel with Darth Maul by pulling a trick out of a hat right before he was going to get killed.

Attack of Clones: Obi-Wan is then a full Jedi Knight, far above Rey in training. A 30-something year old man who is a professional and a lifelong warrior.

1. He shows skill in tracking, and takes down a bounty hunter who tries to kill him in a seedy bar.

and then...

2. He gets his ass handed to him in close combat by a bounty hunter and his kid, neither of whom are jedi/sith.
3. Then barely survives and escapes Jango Fett in a space skirmish.
4. Gets ambushed and captured by *droids* on the Federation's main hideout, Geonosis.
5. Goes up against Count Dooku and gets his ass handed to him.

Okay, let's look at Revenge of the Sith:

Obi-Wan is even more of a skilled, experienced warrior Jedi.

1. He is a skilled pilot, but his ship gets ruined by tiny droids rather quickly.
2. He then takes on droids very well, and later Clone Troopers very well.
3. He *again* gets his ass handed to him by Count Dooku.
4. He goes up against General Grievous, not force sensitive, and literally only survives thanks to luck. When Grievous grabs him and lifts him up, instead of ripping the Jedi in two or crushing his throat, Grievous literally throws him next to a blaster.
5. Obi-Wan then fights Anakin and wins solely by being the calm, cool fighter and waiting for a moment when brash, aggresive Anakin made a mistake.

So let's be real here on the male vs female standard. One author I read claimed it was only because of sexism that anyone protested Rey's skills. The reality is that Rey, as an untrained scavenger, literally has MUCH greater success both as a pilot, and a fighter than Obi-Wan Kenobi himself achieves, even though Obi-Wan was literally trained as a Jedi, and a warrior, his whole life.

Untrained scavenger Rey takes on Kylo, who slaughtered every Jedi pupil Luke Skywalker had, and flies the Falcon as well as Han Solo.

Jedi Knight Obi-Wan literally has his ass handed to him by everyone from droids on Geonosis, to a bounty hunter and his kid both in close combat and in space, to Count Dooku on two occassions...

Can we see the feminism and grrrll power at work here?

638
RationalMale is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know look how harry potter turned out. I know that is a completely different genre. Still he mastered flying a broom stick and catching the remembrall ON HIS FIRST DAY! Then he becomes the best seeker ever instantly. Then just seems to master any hard skill that comes his way.

Which I do that that about the movies. Since in the books he sounds more human. As in isn't 100% perfect with everything he does 24/7.

Still just seems like they pulled the same thing with the chick. Which honestly I rather see that. Than deal with whinny annoying anakin or Luke.

Most Helpful Guy

• And showed that today's feminism seems to mean "Girls can do everything better than guys".
    Okay this has been bugging me for a while,
    You use Raylan Givens as your pic
    Okay who became chief deputy marshal after Art was shot,
    It wasn't Raylan was it.
    It was the black woman Rachel Brooks and you know damn well she made a better chief than he would have

• raylan was never a good marshall... but he was a far better lawman than art or rachel. that was his character. rachel did not achieve nearly what raylan achievemed.

• A dead man and one who was friends with nicky

• a dead dirty cop

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 5

• I totally agree! I haven't thought much about it until now but when I saw the movie, I was really surprised at how quickly Rey suddenly was able to perform using a light saber against Kylo Ren and the Force, considering she had no training at all. I was a bit confused by that since in all prior movies, you can see how each person had to train considerably in order to learn how to do/use those things.

• The Force is very strong in her, even Kylo Ren sensed that... she is probably Luke's daughter... that's why she is naturally talented.

• That is one of the few theories that even begins to make sense. Only the Skywalker lineage would be so innately attuned to the Force so as to pick up its ways with so little instruction. That, or Abrams wants us to believe that Rey is somehow a new Chosen One, without anything being presented to us to help us understand how that could be.

Yet, having Rey pick up so soon basically creates huge discontinuity with the prequels. With the original trilogy, her fast pace is forgivable. After all, Luke achieves an awful lot with bare minimum training and exposure. Still... having her become better than Obi-Wan out of nowhere, I agree, means feminism has jumped the shark.

• @ObscuredBeyond It has nothing to do with feminism, LoL, it has to do with popularising Star Wars among female viewers... all for the profit ;)
      I think Rey is Luke's daughter, there are some similarities between them, so that theory is the most realistic, it explains why she is so talented for fighting and piloting, it's all in the genes :D

• Best take ever! I was thinking the same thing! Thank you!

• I don't think its about feminism. That's how movies are. I've seen countless movies where a guy goes from nothing to basically a skilled fighter/super hero in no time and knows how to do shit you need training for naturally. But when its a female character people think it has to be a part of an agenda.

• normally, i would agree. but this is movie 7 in a series where main characters have to learn their skills. obi wan, anakin, and luke all took movies to become skilled. not 20 minutes, lol.

• Yeah sorry I should have said I was talking to the take owner. I figured that's what you meant. I wasn't going to say anything, because I kind of touched on it in my opinion. But I wrote a lot an wasn't sure if he would read it all, so I mentioned it here.

Sorry if I made it sound like I didn't know what you were talking about.

• She reminded me a lot of Anakin--minus the whole "whiney space brat" thing. Like she was simply born an awesome pilot and using the force kind of comes natural to her. Kind of cheap, but it makes sense if she's his grandkid or great niece or third cousin or whatever the hell she turns out to be.

• ehh, anakin still got his butt kicked by dooku one round, losing some limbs, captured by flying locust before that..

• with experience. he had already smashed upone podracer lol

• Haha. He was still just a kid though. Wasn't Kylo Ren shot when he fought Rey, too? Maybe he was weaker from the injury.

What Guys Said 37

• In THIS instance, you are absolutely right, no doubt about it. Even though it seems obvious that there is some "family lineage" going on here, there's no way Rey could "Jedi up" that fast.

But, how many times have we seen a dude do absolutely ridiculously impossible things with ease in movies? Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, for example. 99% chance that any one of those "action scenes" would have killed him in real life, yet he has survived dozens of them. We know that's crap, but it's still entertaining, so we suspend our disbelief.

Yes, it's unfortunate that it's come to Star Wars (also unfortunate that women played so few roles in the original trilogy, which put pressure on them to "girl up" this trilogy). I like Rey's character, but the stupidly-rushed Jedi development just makes it that much more unrealistic. It would have been terrific to see her struggle and make mistakes and grow, as we saw Luke and Obi-Wan do - and evan Han for that matter.

But I also get that JJ wasn't trying to do the "origin story" all over again - we already know that story, so he's trying to get on with the REST of the story, and so he's asking us to bear with him with the expedited Jedi stuff for Rey. Okay, fine, whatever.

Hopefully, some day in my lifetime, we can have women heros who are organically heros instead of nearly having "super-powers". It's why I loved Ripley in the Alien franchise or Sarah Connor in Terminator - they started out ordinary, and rose to the occasion, and kept rising organically. They were strong, powerful, smart women who were REAL in ways that Rey is not.

Life is imperfect, though.

• Mission Impossible is explained by all those people being specially trained operatives... not scavengers on desert worlds.

• Except they aren't Navy SEALs or anything - they're supposed to be spys, or at least, "wet-work" operators for a spy agency. No SEAL or Force Recon operator has ever done in his entire career 1/10th of what Cruise does in any of the MI movies. And many still don't survive far more mundane encounters. So, yeah, it's incredibly exaggerated, far past being "specially trained operatives."

• It's worth noting that Rey
      - clearly is loaded to the gills with force sensitivity
      - had not used a lightsabre but seemed to have an extensive melee weapon background, which might be worth more than the odd lightsabre lesson in the jedi temple
      - is primarily being judged on a come from behind force fuelled victory over someone who was nursing a blaster shot to the side.

• Shutting this misogynistic rant down:

Unfortunately, the more accurate analogue to Rey is Luke - by choosing to make your comparisons with Obi-Wan, who was never the lead protagonist in any film, you're showing that you're trying to make your "Feminism Gone Mad" claim work using selective bias.

1. Luke ends up being a skilled pilot, jumping into a spacecraft he's never flown before and - like Rey - "expertly flies it against Imperial Tie pilots without hesitation or training or practice"

2. He picks up a weapon of a type he has no training in, and pretty easily manages to blast his way through a bunch of soldiers who have trained all their lives using those very weapons (In contrast, Rey almost completely fails to shoot an unsuspecting stormtrooper in the back, because she forgets to take the safety off, alerts the trooper to her presence and loses the element of surprise, and nearly gets shot the very first time... this makes her borderline retarded in comparison to Luke's sudden, magical commando skills)

3. At the beginning of ESB, Luke somehow manages to use telekinesis to retrieve his lightsaber, despite no one telling him he was able to do that

Now, a few points you forgot to mention about Rey.

"2. Is a skilled Jedi who can use mind tricks and manipulate the force with literally Zero training"

This argument completely ignores the possibility of natural ability. People make the assumption that Force based skills MUST be taught... however there's nothing in canon that says that has to be true, and Luke's telekinesis in ESB proves otherwise.

If you think about real world skills and talents, there are many that people can do without being taught. Some people can sing brilliantly without any vocal coaching. Some small children can actually swim without ever being taught. The list goes on. So why not the case for Force abilities?

• "3. Is a master fighter who literally grabs a lightsaber and takes on a trained, evil fighter who apparently is so skilled he murdered all of Luke Skywalker's jedi pupils. Apparently by himself?"

People keep bringing this up and ignore some very vital points:

1. Ren was badly injured. No, not just grazed with a scratch. Shot by Chewie. Did people not think for a moment that there may have been a reason Chewie's bowcaster was focussed on during the film? It's almost like the film-makers wanted to make a specific point about how powerful it was. Chewie shoots stormtroopers and literally sends them flying. Han asks to borrow it and takes out several troopers with one shot.

Ren got hit by that very weapon - it would kill pretty much anyone, so to survive it he was probably using almost every OUNCE of his Force power to keep himself alive.

• 2. He wasn't trying to kill Rey, he was trying to capture her, which is a pretty challenging thing to do when the person you want to capture has a deadly weapon and is perfectly content with killing you to defend herself

3. Ren is NOT fully trained - this is specifically indicated by Snoke. And we see how this is the case, in how uncontrolled and undisciplined Ren is.

Adding these three facts together, and taking into account that Rey was basically at full strength and Finn had already softened him up... it suddenly doesn't seem so implausible that Ren could have been bested.

• Exactly :D

• Indeed. Another reason Episode 7 sucks. Luke and Anakin needed two films to do everything Rey does in just 20 minutes, from using a mind trick twice, force pull and beat the ''ultimate bad guy''. Politically correct bullshit by forcing romance between the black guy and the feminist Rey. I do like the idea of having a girl as the main character for once, but this Star Wars chapter is just horrible. The only thing I like is the music of J. Williams who never disappoints and all Chewie/Han scenes. I won't discuss the visuals because even though they're great, they're nothing better than the previous films.

• 1. Kylo was injured.

2. He was emotional breaking because he was having trouble being strong with the dark side. Also, he felt beaten because he couldn't break Rey with mind tricks. He thought he was stronger than he was, and realizing how weak he was frustrated him. He was stronger in the force and better trained than Rey, but she was fighting because she felt something great in the force; he was feeling abandoned in the force.

3. He just fought Finn, so he would be physically drained some.

Also, I know this is supposed to be the same universe as the last 6, but you have to remember Disney is in charge now, not Lucas. Truthfully I never felt Anakin or Luke ever being that strong in the force or great fighters. It just never really came through in the movies. I know it was mentioned a lot, but through the action it never really showed. So maybe Disney wants to show a light side of the force character that is actually powerful.

Maybe there are stronger people in the force than the Skywalkers. Just because they were the chosen ones before doesn't mean they are the greatest of great. Time passes and different qualities are revealed. Disney is trying to be epic, so they need more than one family to show it. Or maybe she is a Skywalker or a Kenobi.

None of the movies had very good character development to me, including The Force Awakens (I also thinks it's a terrible title). And the Jedi seem more like cowards than saviors. They always hide when things don't go their way. Yoda did it, Obi Wan did it, and now Luke did it. The heroes shouldn't have to go looking for their saviors in the greatest of hiding spots

Just because a woman is powerful, doesn't mean there is an agenda. This kind of stuff happens for male characters all the time. If Rey was male and did what she did, it would just be bad writing or bad character development. She is female, so that's all it is, bad writing and bad character development. Forget about the gender of the characters and focus on the actual characters. Kylo's and Finn's character development wasn't very good as well

Does Finn turning good make it an agenda to show black people aren't bad? He risked his life to save Rey... Agenda Agenda Agenda

What bothered me was how the men always wanted to make sure Rey was ok and thought she couldn't take care of herself, etc. And she kind of blew it off like it was irrelevant. Which it was irrelevant, but for some reason the filmmakers wanted to show it. But it didn't need to be in there

• It's also more surprising how the First Order (or whatever it was called) gained power so quickly. Weren't they weakened in the original trilogy. Why do the good guys always stop fighting and let the bad guys gain so much power.

And the characters thinking Jedi are a myth or whatever they said in the movie. It hasn't been that long. Why would the great protectors of the galaxy be forgotten so easily.

Also, the Jedi take kids from their families when they are young just like the Stormtroopers. Jedi aren't allowed to have families. I'm assuming Stormtroopers aren't either, but I don't know. Why are the Jedi the good guys, I don't get it.

• Yeah action movies seem to gloss over promising plots. They show something that would be an interesting concept, then they throw it away forgetting the reason they showed it.

I think they took the wrong route with this new trilogy. Rey could still be the main lead and hero, but I think Episode 7 should have focused more on the rise of the First Order and Finn switching sides. Kylo and Rey could still have big roles, but Finn's side switch didn't make sense to me. I think it should have been the First Order's first big attack, not them already a super power everyone fears.

Then Episode 8 I would have mostly focused on Kylo with us learning why he turned to the dark side, but in the end he switched back to the light. Then by episode 9, it would be Rey's turn to defeat Snoke. Basically it would be the slow build of her controlling the force that you mentioned. She could still be presented as overly powerful in earlier episodes, but she becomes more consistent with her power later.

• I see the 9 movies with these endings. It's been awhile since I watched the first 6, so I may be wrong.

I - Light wins
      II - Dark wins
      III - Dark wins
      IV - Light wins
      V - Dark wins
      VI - Light wins
      VII - Dark wins
      VIII - Light wins
      IX - Light wins

Unfortunalty, I see it as Light winning in VII. The focus shouldn't been on finding Luke. Why would the Dark side want to find Luke. He's been hiding not causing them any trouble. To me the rise of the First Order and Finn's betrayal would have been the better story. But what do I know lol.

Disney accomplished their goal. Breaking records and making me want to watch the next one. I may complain about it a lot, but I really want to watch. I say someone else mention the made Rey the focus and power to get women bigger in the franchise and buy merchandise. Which probably makes the most sense.

Sorry I write so much lol.

• She's pretty hot tho

• In my opinion, I don't really have any problems with the things Rey did in the movie. Her ability being able to pilot the Falcon was it was probably in her blood to begin with, and since she appears to know what to do to pilot, I assume this is not her first time flying. As for her fight with Ren, Ren had been shot in the side before hand, seriously injuring him and therefore was probably using a lot of his force ability to sustain him, meaning he was not fighting Rey with his full focus, as well not directing all his force ability at her. Ren would probably not have been in a suitable mind frame after his meeting with Han Solo, allowing Rey to have the upper hand. Rey in the duel, had full access to her force abilites, which Ren had said to Snoke are growing at a considerable rate. Rey also proved to have more force power then Ren too, when she resisted his attempt to torture her, getting into Ren's mind instead, proving herself more powerful. During their duel, Rey had all the advantages, but despite that, Rey was continually being forced to retreat, and was only just capable of doing that. I also think Rey in the past had received some Jedi training before she was abandoned, but while she appeared to forget, the training remained hidden until needed, allowing her to fight Ren in a duel. And another thing, Obi Wan is one of the best Jedi in the order, and despite Rey's abilities, I think Obi Wan is still better than Rey as a Jedi, since Kenobi was portrayed the perfect Jedi, even though there were Jedi with far more power.

• I don't think it has nothing to do with feminism, you're being paranoid. Some characters have the Force stronger than others.

I mean, no one bats an eye when kid Anakin Skywalker beats the crap out of several aliens on the pod race. Hell, kid Anakin Skywalker fought in a starship fight on Episode 1.

Luke Skywalker also fights, without previous training, in the destruction of the Death Star and completes the mission himself, no one bats an eye there. Also, Luke trains roughly days with Yoda and everything Yoda teaches him is to control his urges and his anger while doing Yoga like positions and moving objects, and running through the forest. Yoda also tells look that his real test is to face Darth Vader, after that confrontation is where Luke comes back in Return of The Jedi as a Jedi.

People often forget that Chewbacca shoots the living hell out of Kylo Ren too and during the fight Kylo Ren is bleeding to death (that's why he hits himself to pump himself up for the fight). He fights Finn, he wins to Finn and then he goes to fight Rey. At that time Rey feels confident on the Force true, but Kylo was already beat up and tired.

Let's also take in account that these stories revolve around the Skywalker family. Rey, as far as we know, could be associated with Snoke somehow or could be an Skywalker herself. But just as Luke and Anakin, the Force is strong with her.

• anakin had podrace experience and even wrecked one pod... and was a lousy pilot.

luke acted like a scared beginner in the x-wing, but did have flying experience in small, high speed crafts.

• Scared beginner? lol

Yet you didn't explained Luke's training, which wasn't much other than "control your anger and focus". Lukes real training was facing Darth Vader, Rey's training was facing Kylo Ren. What's your argument there?

Also, you didn't addressed the fact that Kylo Ren was more than beat up when he faced Rey, and he was already bleeding to death. But if you chose to discredit all of the points I'm making by two small paragraphs then okay lol

I also forgot to mention, in The Empire Strikes Back even before Luke was mentally trained by Yoda, Luke was able to retreat his lightsaber from the ice and taught himself to do it using the Force. Just as Rey did so in the prison escape.

• Lol no Kenobi is still far more skilled then her in almost every way lol, but I do agree it is kind of crap how she went from zero to hero just like that, the only way from a Star Wars prospective that she could be that skilled just like that *snaps fingers* is if she is lukes daughter.

I mean even Anakin the chosen one and the most naturally powerful and gifted force user to exist needed training before he could become as strong as he was and he still lost to far better duelists with better experience.

Now of course we could chalk up Rey's victory to the fact that Kylo was shot by a bowcaster in the stomach and well we saw what it did to storm troopers lol, flung them around like little rag dolls, plus he was wounded in the shoulder by Finn, and a jedi or sith can sustain themselves through otherwise fatal injuries but it requires immense concentration like what Kylo was doing during the fight plus he was tired from fighting Finn and emotionally ****** up from you know doing what he did on the bridge. But even so Rey still shouldn't have been able to beat him now it is true that only a force user can unlock and harness the full potential of a lightsaber but even with that, the fact that she had no training at all which means she should have lost against someone trained in lightsaber combat. Though Rey did look like she had been taught in the use of staff weapons or self taught herself so there is that but still even so, she still should have lost, it was rushed plain and simple.

Just ridiculous

• i think you're taking it a little bit too seriously. usually when i go to a movie, i look for entertainment and not sexism. sure, it may be that way, but who gives a fuck? don't be a bitch. i'd rather her do all that shit than sit through all the exposition, complex and muddled political subplots.

• The problem is, it isn't just entertainment, it goes to popular mindset. A mindset that says "equality=women can do everything man can do without even having to learn it."

• ok, sure... that may be. but I DON'T CARE!!! you know what this is? this is the same type of shit you have to deal with in English class. like when the teacher asks you was that mole on the tertiary character's left ass cheek symbolizes. i don't care. i'm trying to enjoy the book (in this case, movie), not say what it says about society. if you want it to be realistic, don't watch a fucking movie about aliens, lightsabers, space ships that travel the speed of light and empires across galaxies that don't actually exist. that's like trying to find logic in a cartoon. a cartoon can literally have anything it wants to have in it. it doesn't need to be realistic because you can draw every conceivable thing ever to be thought of.

• Jango Fett was a fierce and dangerous bounty hunter, and his son even better when he took up his father's helmet.

Obi-Wan also hates flying, and he thinks flying is purely for droids.

anyways, I'm not taking a stance because I haven't watched Star Wars yet lol. If you compare Obi-Wan's character in his other line of work though, like the Clone Wars animation, he is very impressive.

• Well, i disagree with you in two points:

1) Anakin in episode 1 was a very skilled pilot and he was waaaay younger than Rey. Rey in VII i think is like 18 or something like that. We don't know exactly, but maybe she already had some training with spaceships.

2) This is something crazy that i thought, i am not sure if it is true or not. Maybe she was is the chosen one and not Anakin or Luke for that matter, if she is actually the chosen one (considering that R2D2 and Luke felt her pressence VEEEEEEEEEERY far) she would be naturally good with a few Jedy Skills because she is that good.

Although there is a lot of loose ends in the story though, honestly there is not much chracter development for her: Where does she come from, Why does she have Jedy powers etc etc.

I think though, everything that you have said and i have mentioned will be clarified in episode 8.

• She has Jedi powers because she's Luke's daughter... Which is why he felt her presence from far away, just like Luke's father did while he was in space even.

• @Rainie_ lol why did you spoil that fo me :( o wanted to find it out.

• Lool I thought it was obvious 😂😂

• I haven't seen the movie but I've seen this debate online a few times and I think you made some good points.

• No other character in the history of Star Wars is as OP'd as Rey. I would say this even if Rey was a dude. All the greatest fighters of the Star Wars saga have had their asses' handed to them at least once at the very beginning of their journeys. She literally does a Neo (see Matrix) at the climax of the movie.

• Your right, it was really unfortunate for star wars fans to see that. I agree with everything you said. But in the end, who cares, it was only a movie. I know everyone is tired of this being politically correct culture where we have to show women as being superb to men in every way but whatever. can't we just enjoy the movie and fuck all the politics.

• Judging by this latest star wars, no, we can't. It will be forced into popular movies and every aspect of mainstream media.

• WHY THE HELL DID YOU NAME YOURSELF AFTER DIE HARD FILM THAT CENSOR JOHN MCLANES LINE

• @KENKONG brought up some really good points by comparing Luke to Rey. However the problem with this is when it was done the first time with Luke we gave it a pass since it was the original trilogy and no one really knew the rules yet for Jedi training.

I actually thought Finn would at least know how to use a light sabre since the other stormtrooper had some sort of blade to defend against it; implying that stormtroopers must get some sort of training with melee weapons. Even Luke received basic training from Obi Wan and didn't seem nearly as skilled as Rey in the beginning. Luke was naturally talented but Rey seemed to be born with these abilities and it made her character too overpowered.

• Kylo Ren was severely injured when he fought Rey. Chewey shot him in the leg with his bowcaster which usually just blows limbs off. Finn did scrape him a bit during their scuffle. And he was never fighting to kill her. There were a few moments when he could have taken her down but he chose not to because he wanted to turn her. Plus there's theories on why Rey quickly picked up on the force and is skilled with a lightsaber.

• Good post. Though Old Ben was a notoriously bad pilot.

A better comparison of natural piloting skills would be against Anakin - the chosen one himself. Anakin was a force sensitive pilot prodigy, and Rey flies a poorly maintained Millenium Falcon (Han was always tweaking and fixing things in the original trilogy just to keep her flying), better than Anakin flies a Naboo fighter with the help of R2D2.

Seriously, I am afraid of watching this movie again because there are just so many holes to pick apart, each of which has the potential to ruin the whole saga.

• Obi-Wan hated flying but that doesn't make him a bad pilot!

That, and at least Anakin had experience pod racing... but when he got in that brand new naboo fighter and took it off autopilot, he flew it as skillfully as your average drunkard.

• I could rant on this movie forever.

Fuck Jar Jar Abrams.

• I like her as a character, she is destined to be a great Jedi, basically - the Force is her natural ability.

• Her exceptional strength in the Force may yet be explained. And Kylo Ren was in a weakened state when they fought. Having just done what he had done, he was in emotional turmoil and would have been very unfocused. He had also been shot in the abdomen with Chewbacca's bowcaster, previously shown to take down two stormtroopers with the blast from an indirect hit, and to send stormtroopers flying and shatter their armour with direct hits. It was probably taking all he had just to stay on his feet after being wounded with such a weapon.

• Episode 7 was a mess. They clearly didn't understand star wars. It just seemed like random scenes put together without any memorable moments other than the kylo and han solo scene.

The rey and Kylo fight was so bad. kylo's character was also so bad. Everything was really bad with this movie. its great because its star wars and episode 7 but not impressed at all.

• More from Guys
    17