Why most people nowadays call every Electronic Dance Music genre as “EDM”? Why such a generalization?

EDM is a very generic term. EDM obviously means, Electronic Dance Music, but it has many subgenres. Not every Electronic Dance Music genre is similar. I just hate generalizations. Like this or the “Alternative” one. If you go to a music store, they just round up every music genre that’s not Pop, R’n’B or Rock as “Alternative”. Like for example genres like New Wave, Post-Punk, Gothic Rock and Alternative Rock fall under this category. Very generalizing isn’t it?

Anyway, now about EDM. Here’s a list of 10 different EDM subgenres. Each one is different than each other.
(In Chronological order)

1) Hi-NRG

2) Electro

3) Italo-Disco

4) Detroit Techno

5) Electronic Body Music

6) Acid House

7) Hardcore Techno

8) Eurodance

9) Dream Trance

10) Progressive Trance

Most Helpful Girl

• It's the same as pretty much every other genre. Metal can be divided into loads of different sub-genres such as thrash, death, black, folk, pirate, power, glam, hair, same with rock and indie and most other genres of music. It just works like that.

• Yeah, I don't have much knowledge about metal-related music generally to be honest, but it has tons of different genres as far as I know. Same thing here though. If someone tells you "I listen to metal", can you really understand what exactly he/she listens to? No!

• Nope, you can't, but that's why you ask them and you develop a greater understanding and a deeper friendship with the other person. It's just that EDM is not alone as being a genre where loads of different styles are all lumped together, so there's really no use singling it out and acting like the generalisation is unfair when the truth is that it happens to pretty much every genre of music.

Most Helpful Guy

Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 2

• That ain't hardcore. Hardcore was the likes of scooter and helter skelter. Eurodance is called old skool. They brought out trance and then chillout trance then drum n bass. It started with acid house and garage. It was all progressive depending on the drugs and the venues and the tech available. It was the best time ever. It sadly died a sudden death in 2003 when all the posers and mainstream clowns got involved. When it was underground it was minted.

• Electronic
    Dance
    Music

E
    D
    M

Thats why.

• but it has subgenres...

• A subgenre still falls into one general genre.

• Both this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHW_vyPXF3Y

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teikt7l96u4

Are part of EDM general genre... but look how different they sound... like day and night...

Is it bad to be a little more particular? When I ask someone what music he/she likes and he/she tells me "EDM"... do you expect me to understand what EXACTLY do you like? I don't think so.

People are just bored to explain as it seems. It's not bad I think.