Songs of Nostalgia

Some of us have songs that bring us back. Maybe it's because it's a song that played during a key moment in our life, or it's a newer song that makes us reflect on the experiences we went through in the past...and yet didn't have quite the right song for it, and now do.

Some of these songs are happy, and we smile, and it's bittersweet. Bitter because it's in the past, sweet because we're reflecting back on it and can realize how grateful we are for the memories created.

Some of these songs are sad, poking at our souls like toothpicks and leaving slivers of misery in their absence. But the sad songs are just as important as the good ones, because we remember the mistakes we made and the problems we went through. And it helps you. It helps you to remember not to make those mistakes again.

Here are a few songs that spark that feeling of nostalgia in me.

Lukas Graham - 7 Years

This song simultaneously makes me remember my life when I was younger and makes me think a lot about the future. It's kind of a double-whammy song. Can one even be nostalgic about the future?

Escape The Fate - Situations

This is a song I used to listen to almost religiously when I was in 8th grade, and it was with my then best friend. Since then I've not only outgrown this type of music, but I've outgrown that best friend. Never fails to bring me down memory lane, though.

LMB - Pay the Rent

This is actually a super personal one because this is my uncles band (he's vocalist and guitar player). And the video features some of my family members. But it reminds me of childhood, because it's a common occurance for him to break out his guitar and just start strummin' songs. Even now, as we're all older, he'll still bring his guitar over on a lazy summer afternoon / evening.

Now that I've let y'all into some of my nostalgia inducing songs, share some of yours in the comments. Can even tell me the story if it tickles your fancy.

teawrecks is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 9

• This song always 'talks' to me

• Well I love the original Karate Kid and it was a staple movie of my childhood and I love the song your the best around that plays in it during the tournament scene. I even had a moment like Daniel did in the movie when he did the crane front kick and hit Johnny in the chin. I had a moment like that in one of my martial arts tournaments back in the day were I was fighting a black belt I think it was she attacked with a kick I blocked it and countered her with a beautiful round house kick to her neck I got cheers, oos and awes from the entire crowd, dojo owners and and various well known fighters and masters I lost the match to her but it was my "moment" of glory and she was a worthy opponent and your the best around was playing in my head as it happened heh.

Rocky music always nostalgic and I always bodybuild to it, always go the distance.

This is a nostalgic song for me because the author is a youtuber who makes his own music all on his own and it's awesome but all of us fans have always rallied behind him so he made this song to signify us as we are like part of a pack, a family of sorts.

That's a enough for now lol.

• I had a think about songs that stand out or mean something to me (Nostalgic) for want of a better word. I keep being drawn to my mid teens to early 20s (the 1980s), I suppose when music was strongest in my life.
    Lyrically a songs stand out from the time
    "Spirit" by The Waterboys , "Bad" by U2 and "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division
    Soundwise from that time
    Obviously U2/Waterboys , The Smiths, Stone Roses, The Cure
    Apart from that time
    "Knocking On Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash's cover of Trent Reznor's (NIN) "Hurt"
    In sound
    Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska album, Neil Young's Rock era, The Doors and late Beatles, Lou Reed.
    (Too many to link videos so I just listed).

• One of my favorites was our wedding processional song.

this song was playing on the radio when my ex wife told me i was going to be a father i will never forget the song or that moment. and i will forever love it.

• I'm a Nirvana type, myself.

• The original batman cartoon theme song.

What Girls Said 3

• I actually know Escape The Fate - Situations song. Though i don't remember where I heard it for the first time.

Only song I can think of is the one my boyfriend sent me. After I confessed that I liked him and wanted to know if he felt the same way. I was stuttering like mad while doing it. Then shoved a song in his face since some of the stuff I couldn't get out.

This song isn't really a nostalgia song. Every time I hear it I just think about all the times that my boyfriend has sang it. So now I always hear him singing it instead.

• Oh my god this was so well timed. The weatjer is getting warmer and it always makes me nostalgic xD i was just thinking I needed songs like these

• Fix You - Coldplay

In my freshman year of high school, I was introduced to the world of theatre, specifically, the behind the scenes stuff. I made lots of friends, and had a lot of fun. Towards the end of my sophomore year, I began developing depression, and theatre was my escape. My friends there made me happy. With them, I was content.
    Flash forward to the final spring musical I would ever tech, to the final show, I knew it would be emotional, but that day only makes me smile. Starting out as a group of 8 freshman who joined the tech side for the spring musical in our first year, only 3 of us made it all 4 of those years. We sat in the house, about 6 rows from the stage, right in the middle, saying goodbye to the theatre, for that was the final performance we ever did in there, together. Out of the random, my friend started singing this song, and after a few lines, we joined him. To this day, I don't know why he started singing it, but it just felt right. A smile comes over my face whenever this song pops into my head, and I remember the friends who unknowingly helped me through a difficult thing.