Game Review: Etrian Odyssey Untold Millennium Girl

Game review: Etrian Odyssey Untold Millennium girl

I just recently discovered this game.Which lucky for me this game turned out to be 66% off.Which the sale is going on until April 4th,so for another 3 more days.It went from costing 29.99 all the way down too 9.99.Damn right I bought this game at such a low price!Though the other ones part of it never really appealed to me.Only the untold ones have really blown my mind.Which as soon as untold 2 becomes cheaper,I'm buying that sucker! :D I will also try not to give any spoilers away in my review.

This game is part of the Etrian Odyssey series which consists of:

Main series

-Etrian Odyssey

-Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard

-Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City

-Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

-Etrian Odyssey V

Remakes

-Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl(remake of Etrian Odyssey)

-Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knightz(remake of Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard)

Spin-offs

-Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

-Etrian Mystery Dungeon

SUMMARY

Genre - RPG(Role-playing video game)

Description - It's a first person,Map making dungeon crawler.With turn based battles.You have 2 rows in the party, front and back row.

Rating - T for teensWith how far I've gotten into the game and all the content I've seen.I can agree that this game is rated correctly.Due to Fantasy Violence, Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes, Tobacco Reference,and Alcohol.

Metascore - Is about 80

User Score - is around 8.3

Game modes - Story & Classic

GAME MECHANICS

-Map Making

This is a really unique way of having a map showing you where you need to go.Since YOU'RE in control of how your map is going to look.You have to walk around and explore to finish the map 100%.Which if you're like me and a perfectionist then you're going to have a lot of fun making the map.Yes the outline of where you go depends on how the maze was made.Though you get to customize what else you want to add to the map.Like if you want different floors to have diferent colors,something to show it's a locked door,where a chest is located,etc.

-Getting items for crafting

Each time you defeat a monster they will drop items which you can take to Shilleka's Goods.Some of them will drop one rare item that gives better gear and some are needed to finish side quests. The interesting part is the way you have to get them. You have to kill the monsters in very specific way for them to drop the rare items. Some you have to kill by using ice formula,another might need it's head bind before you kill it,etc.

-Exploring

While you're walking through yggdrasil labyrinth.You come across different cutscenes that gives you the options of what course of action to take and whichever one you pick changes the outcome. Sometimes when you attack things you get items, other times it could mean what you tried to get ends up being destroyed.For me it adds to the feeling of being in a labyrinth.

-Side Quests

Some people might not like having so many side quests when playing games. In this one, the side quests add more to the game and to the characters in your party. Since it shows more of their personality and different sides that you normally don't see in the main story parts.

-Foe's

They are the powerful enemies that show up in the maze. Which if you're underleveled then they are probably going to massacre your team. Still they make you have to try and be clever when getting around them. Some are easier to predict while others start hunting you down and follow your moves. If that's not tricky enough, if you get caught and there are other foes surrounding you, they will start walking towards you during each turn in a fight.After a point they will join the fight and make it even more tricky to beat.

-Escaping

If you're in a fight you know you won't win or if your team isn't able to handle the enemy and you try to escape you will fail most of the time. The skill flee however will help you escape at the cost of some HP.

-Tricky side quests

Some side quests give vage details on what you need to find to finish a quest. So you spend a lot of time looking all over the maze.

-Fighting

If you're one of those people that like to see the fighting animation in games. I'm sorry to tell you this but this game doesn't. Sure it shows some kind of animation when you attack an enemy, but you don't see your character doing it, which probably turns some people away from this game.

-Abilities

For me the skills you get aren't bad though I can see how some people would think they are boring.They don't have cool names or seem to be mind blowing when reading them.Still the abilities all have their usefulness.

-How to get abilities

The way you get skills, is with skill points which you get each time you level up. The max you can have on most abilities is 10.

-Changing class

In story mode you can't change classes straight away, but you can once you reach a certain point in the game. When you do change you lose some levels and have to level that character back up. I once switched classes which brought down my level 34 to level 18.

-Skill points

When you are putting the skill points on each characters abilities, sometimes you might mess up or change your mind about adding them. Fear not, this game will allow you to reset all your skill points at the expense of 2 levels.

-Guild perks

Not too far into the game you form a guild and get to pick the name. Once you have chosen a name, you will be able too access the perks of being in a guild. You can start customizing grimoires, use them in battle, gain new ones, and pay for an item that replenishes your team's health or TP after each turn. Some can even raise the max TP or HP, though you can only pick one of them at a time.

-The soundtrack

The soundtrack is pretty good and fits perfectly with what your doing in each area. If I had to pick my favorite song to hear it would be this one.

STORY MODE

When you first start out in the game.It will ask you which mode you want to play in.I recommend going with story mode first.Since with classic mode when it comes to classes.You don't get the choice of having Highlander and Gunner.This game is set up where once you beat story mode.You can take your save and carry those 2 classes over on to classic mode.Which will make that experience of the game more interesting.In story mode you start the game out as a highlander.So throughout that mode you're playing as that character and answering as him.You're given 5 pre-made chacters to have in your team as you go along in the game.Which each character is awesome and I feel like they did an amazing job with each characters personality.

Pre-Made Characters

This is the protagonists in story-mode that wields the Spear.He's silent unless you're in battles.Then he makes a lot of different sounds.Kind of like Link from The Legend of Zelda.Though you have complete freedom picking certain dialogues for him to say.Which end up being funny as hell with the options they give you.Like with the chick that shows her boobies some.During this one side quest when helping her see the labyrinth, you can click on one text box that makes a joke about how she barely has any clothes on.I laughed a lot when picking it. :D I'll add a picture of the boobie chick I'm talking about who is also the person that makes weapons for you. She's Shilleka and owns a goods store where you can buy all the weapons you need.

She starts out as the Gunner class.I'm sure just by the name you can tell what weapon this class specializes in.Yep that's right! It's guns. :D This class tends to do better in the back row of your party.She acts pretty serious and is determined to move on and solve the mysteries that you face.She also acts very mature and tends to not crack jokes much.When it comes to any kind of food being talked about.Oh boy,does her face light up like a little excited kid!

Simon is the Medic on your team.He's also the most knowledgeable character in the party.He the opposite of how Arthur's personality is in the game.He helps to watch over Arthur and makes sure he doesn't get into too much trouble.He's 1 of the 3 characters part of Midgard Library Investigation Team in helping with research.

She is the Protector(templar) class.So her specialty is defence and to help heal the party.Her personality is awesome and I really love how they made the character.Once you play the game you can really tell that she's Canadian due to her accent (says the word eh after most things) from Ontario,and her homeland has A LOT of maple syrup recipes.She's also a very casual character and LOVES to drink.Thanks to this chick the pub is making more money.Due to the fact that she's beating every dude in a drinking constest. :D She's also 1 of the 3 that are part of the Midgard Library Investigation Team.

This is my most favorite character out of all of them.This dude is funny as hell and awesome.His dialogue is the best one to read or hear in my oppinion.He's also a real lazy bum which you find out during one of the side quests you do.He's the Alchemist on your team and is the jokester and LOVES to mess with others.He's the most outspoken character out of all of them.He's CONSTANTLY jumping into the fray without thinking first and blurts out phrases that he shouldn't.Though he is able to make some good judgements when it comes to anything really dangerous.Though sadly his excitement can cause him disapointment when things don't work out. :(

CLASSIC MODE

I haven't gotten to classic mode just yet.Since I haven't completely finished playing story mode so far.Though from what I have read about classic mode.I'm able to get an easy picture of what it's going to be like.In this mode you have more customization freedom and pick which ever kind of character you want in your party.In this mode you have 9 classes to pick from and the plot is a little different than story mode from what I hear.Which makes me really excited about once I'm able to start on that.

OTHER CLASSES

The other classes I will list now I don't know as much but still I'm going to give them a try and the concept isn't that hard.

-Landsknecht

This is basically the swordsman class.Specialist in many different weapons and armor.

-Survivalist

Are known as the Rangers and the fastest characters.

-Troubadour

These are basically bards in the game.So they are a supporter type class.

-Hexer

Known as curse makers and are masters at status ailments.

-Dark Hunter

They weild the whips in this game and specialize in inflicting negative status (poison, sleep, etc.)

-Ronin

Also known as Bushido/Samurai.Which no surprise they are masters in katana skills.

Well kiddos (reference from the game) that's all I will write about this game, since mytakes have a limit to how much you can write. I hope you enjoyed it and give this amazing game a chance.I promise you that you won't be disappointed. :)

Mustachekitteh is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 7

• Wow, its very substantial, but you forgot to mention the platform. And your own conclusion and score. That'd have been great.😃

• I knew i would forget something. :D Well I can say it right here.

• *favorite

• Sadly I haven't heard of those 2. :( besides miyamoto I don't know that many names. Ex for some company names that make certain games. Like Cap Com, Game Freak, Bethesda Softworks, EA (which was voted the worse), and Atlus. I might know more but those are the ones I can think off the top of my head.

• Another interesting game, and really great Take review :D

• i tried it before on nds , however i dont really understand how to start creating our own map , without it , the game won't progress , so i stop played lol

• I know when I first tried it. I was confused about making the map too. Since the one I tried didn't have much of a tutorial and I skipped it on accident. In the map making picture I put, the image item that looks like a pen in the upper left side. You use that to draw walls in the game.

• there is some features on map creating that was not working though
      it is probably because i played on emulator , not real nds , lol

• Ah kk yeah I can see how that could mess up on an emulator. The most important thing to be able to use is outlining the map. Other than that they will say you have completed it.

• People should do more of these game review myTakes

• Most people probably won't, this website is meant basically for asking girl/guy type stuff.

So just relationship type things along with anything to do with the opposite sex.

• Oh, please, those remakes have awful storylines! I prefer the original one where you had to think up your own backstories for your characters.
    And the first one was twice as annoying, I tell you!

• So far in the remake of the first one. I haven't found anything shitty about the story line. It just keeps on becoming more interesting.

• I love seeing those random things pop up in this one. They are pretty hilarious and I end up busting a lung from how funny it can be.

• I do remember in EOII I came across what to me felt like twelve billion squirrels.

• I've always wanted to try out this series, it reminds me of the old dungeon crawler games back in the 80's pcs like Might and Magic or Wizardry where you take a party and grind grind grind until you get uber powerful.

The map making thing sounds a bit complicated, but also unique as well. The soundtrack is quite extraordinary too.

I enjoyed your review miss mustachkitteh! making us all aware of games few people have heard of before :)

• vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

Not bad... If you were trying to make a "summary" of the game rather than a "review". Now...

vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

Pay attention!

vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

You lack heavy critique and crucial thoughts on the game. You spent most of myTake going through the whole game and it's characters without really concluding how valuable each function and element contribute to making the game the best it can be.

I assume games you are going to review would be from sort of bias where you thoroughly enjoyed the game thus showing the game in some sort of positive light which isn't bad by itself but stems away a bit from "objective realism".

vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

No need for me to say good luck as I just expect better next time.

What Girls Said 1