Books That Have Been Banned or Challenged

Books that have been banned or challenged

When I was younger, I remember hearing about books being banned. I didn't realize its importance, I wondered why people cared so much because it's just a book. Now that I am older, I realize citizens and governments ban books because they are afraid to have their ideas and beliefs challenged, they love sheltering their children, and because books give people ideas, they have to control what the people say or think one way or another. Some of these were required reading when I was in school and quite a few of these are some of my favorite books the parents who tried to ban them don't know what they're missing.

The Great Gatsby

Probably the first great American novel that comes to the mind of almost anybody, this book chronicles the booze-infused and decadent lives of East Hampton socialites. It was challenged by the Baptist College in South Carolina because of language and references to sex.

The Catcher in the Rye

Banned for vulgar language, moral issues, violence, scene that included a prostitute, and excessive violence. In 1960, a teacher was fired when the teacher assigned the book to her 11th grade English class he later won his appeal.

Harry Potter 1-7

I believe it was number most banned book from 2000-2009 because of the Christian community. It was banned for the glorification of witchcraft and magic also because Dumbledore is gay. By the way these copies have very clever designs. In 2001, a group of parents staged a book burning of the Harry Potter books. Firefighters intervened before a match was struck and the parents settled for using scissors to mutilate the copies.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Banned when parents complained it embraces white supremacy. Also for its references to rape, sex, incest, profanity, and racial issues.

Brave New World

Banned at a high school in Delaware when parents complained that students could easily understand the sexual and drug references with a simple google search. In Corona, California a group of parents tried to ban it because it centered around negativity.

Of Mice and Men

Retained in the Brainerd, Minn., School District curriculum in 2014 despite the complaints of two parents who objected to the use of “Jesus Christ” as a curse word, the use of the n-word to describe African Americans, and the term “Japs.”

Lord of the Flies

Another required reading for me. I read it sophomore year of high school. Has been banned because of violence, alleged racism, and inappropriate language. Description of the boys hunting the pig is graphic. I think my teacher said the boys raped the pig. A few boys also kill several other boys because of their negligence.

Fahrenheit 451

Really ironic that a book set somewhere in the future with a totalitarian government that makes firemen burn books has been banned. Banned for using Gods name in vain, language (nothing much worse than hell and damn) book also discusses being drunk, smoking cigarettes, violence, and references to the Bible.

My Brother Sam is Dead

I remember my 5th grade teacher made this book required reading and I really liked it. Banned for profanity, violence, alcohol consumption, and unpatriotic views.

1984

Another ironic book to be banned. In 1981, parents saw it as pro-communist. Some book reviewers called it a veiled attack against Josef Stalin. Has sex scenes that are graphic also has been challenged on social and political grounds. The term, "Big Brother" still pops up in pop culture.

Ginnyweasley97 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 25

• books shouldn't be banned but maybe don't read brave new world earlier than 11th or 12th grave.
    I read it in 9th and we were wondering about what was going to seen,
    There were 3 kids in the class (private school) My money was on it being a cult ritual, another kids said drugs, the other said an orgy.
    It was all three,
    The teacher got a little redfaced

Orgy-porgy, Ford and fun,
    Kiss the girls and make them One.
    Boys at one with girls at peace;
    Orgy-porgy gives release.

• Great take! I have heard about these being banned. Especially the Harry Potter in Christian communities. One ministry I volunteered for a long time ago we were informed to take out any Harry Potter, Pokemon, Spongebob, Batman, etc... Because of witchcraft. We had to sort through children's shoebox gifts like US Customs agents looking for. the stuff which I thought was dumb. Even. Captain Underpants was banned in many schools for being too crude. Not to mention many of Jack London, Ernest Hemingway, F Scott Fitzgerald, Einstein, CS Lewis, HG Wells and other American, British, Jewish and other authors books were banned in Nazi Germany after Hitler's rise to power. In fact they had public burnings.

• Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because liberals found the historically accurate portrayals of racism to be disturbing.

• I am fairly liberal and I don't want it to be banned. It was history and if we forget it, we will repeat it. You should look at my library it has something to offend anyone.

• but yeah protesting his own movie always cracks me up.

• but its ALWAYS some idiot extremist, like some idiot extremists burned lord of the rings even though Tolkien was VERY catholic.
      But I always like how most people regardless of faith in this country generally think these people are morons

• When I read Catcher in the Rye for a project in English class I thought it was utter rubbish and that Holden was just a pathetic loser.
    That was before I experienced depression. Now I look back at my notes from the book and think to myself "There is so much I didn't see when I read it before". Although I still think Holden was a dumbass for dropping out of school, getting involved with drugs and being a bitch I now have a much better understanding of what Salinger was trying to show in his work. The effect depression can have on the weak. Perhaps I read it too early, just like I read Tom Sawyer and Huckelbary Finn too early to grasp the message.

• mein kampf isn't banned anymore?

• You've forgotten: the Bible has been challenged more times in history than any other book. In fact, there are still places today in which possessing one for literally any reason leads to you being savagely murdered. Even at the heyday of Christendom, there were European kings who didn't want the Bible read in the language native to their countries, because it would lead to the locals challenging the kings for their usurpations of the Earthly Governance away from the dictates of the Heavenly one, and the kings didn't want to be accountable to a higher power. (The pope could be bribed; idealists could not.)

Such were the ways of things even in England for a time. Fox's Book of Martyrs also came under attack, largely because it was so indicting of so many government leaders - and of their common rationalizations.

• Yeah I only read comic books so I don't know really

• Who the hell still reads books?

• 😨😨 Dumbledore is gay 😨😨

• Yep he even had to kill the man he loved. Basically because he was the Wizards version of hitler

• Have you read Lolita? Great book by Vladimir Nabokov, I'm not sure why my 5th grade teacher didn't recommend it.

• Harry Potter banned wow. Although JK Rowling probably didn't care about the book burning because they had to go to a book store to buy the book before the could burn it chiching.
    1984 banned because it was pro communist lol obviously nobody read the book.
    I read catcher in the rye and did not feel like shooting up a public place with a high powered rifle. Hated the main character. Such a whiner.
    I take it these are books banned from schools by parents?

• Yes most students I went to school with didn't shy away from books with drugs and violence

• ecx.images-amazon.com/.../..._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    This book was banned to keep a good image of a disgusting and horrible traitor.

• Lol is this your ap lit reading list.

• Most I read for fun. And no, i took regular classes even though I was smart enough to be in AP lit.

• Let's just ban all books and give kids movies or video games.

• And bring on the downfall of humanity.

• A red haired country girl talking to a city boy, that reminds me of a song:
      Just a small town girl
      Livin' in a lonely world
      She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
      Just a city boy
      Born and raised in south Detroit
      He took the midnight train goin' anywhere

I guess neither of us can stop believing in these theories of ours. Which we should both admit they are theories.

• Journey? Nice. And yes they are theories.

• About Harry Potter - Dumbledore is NOT gay, only the actor who played him was gay.

• Any political or social commentary books are banned in america. Nom chomsky isn't banned. If they did ban it it would draw attention to it. They just veil it and leave it out of book reviews and newspapers. Apparently a book called tavistock is over 30 grand to buy now because they dont want folk to know about it. Its an institute in the uk that studies human behaviour. They wrote papers about how to control populations through fear and propaganda. Goebbels used it in ww2 and america have been using it since. Remember the traffic light system of threat after 9/11? They obviously dont want folk to know though

• I read all but two of those books in high school.

• I loved OM&M, Great Gatsby, and especially Brave New World

It's stupid as fuck that people want to ban books because of their narcissistic overestimated, delusional view of their own parenting and how other kids should be raised

• I love all of these books! I was so happy we never had any banned. We even read The Giver in like 6th grade which many parents opted their kid out of.

I think it is funny so many comenters are saying it is a liberal problem for banning these books... As a teacher I see it as a conservative problem, for wanting to push patrioitism, traditional family values, and shying away from sex and violence. But maybe that is just me.

• People are so politically correct any more. Things were a lot more conservative when I was in school. Most of those books were required reading in one class or another. It was up to the teacher, but I think just about every literature teacher had at least one of those books on their list. Harry Potter didn't exist, and I never heard of Brother Sam, but the rest were considered classics.

• My brother Sam is dead was required reading for me. It has been praised for being historically accurate and being brutally honest about what war is like. Of course parents banned it for its violence.

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 9

• And Tango Makes Three nearly got banned in my town because of, and I quote, "the homosexual penguins"

My friends parents tried to ban Water for Elephants because it made fun of Jesus. It didn't work

• I wonder why some books are banned?

• I think it's because people hate having their beliefs challenged. I remember when I was in elementary school it was a very Christian, right winged school. They banned a book called Bridge to Terabithia. One of the themes from this book is religion, at the time I was a Christian and that book made me think twice about my Christian faith.

• Oh I love that movie and book! But I think you're right. I remember Christians protested when the golden compass movie came out years ago.

• I have read brave new world honestly it wasn't even that disgusting like people wanted it ban thought it was. The characters clearly never try to say it out front about their sex lives they just hide it throught songs and crap. Has anyone else read it? I actually do have a question I just heard there a reason why John's Suicide happen because he join in the orgy at the end and kills himself because of it.

• Awesome take! Another book that I've heard of being banned (or at least complained about) is the Kite Runner because there's rape depicted in it.

• Fantastic book another book from the author who wrote the kite runner was a thousand splendid suns was also banned. Which is upsetting I enjoyed both the kite runner and a thousand splendid suns. He is a fantastic author.

• I agree, one of the few required reading books I've truly enjoyed. The film adaptation wasn't half bad either..

• Its kinda sad books like these are getting banned because little groups are being butthurt about racism, rape and etc when its there! Its happening now today sometimes we need to be bothered.. and how are such classic books such as Fahrenheit 451 gonna be banned but 50 shades of Grey are relished by everyone

• Right? I adored Fahrenheit 451, I think 50 shades glamorizes abusive relationships. I did my research on the book there were times, where the girl who he is sleeping with tells him to stop but he didn't. If the main character was not a billionaire, it would be a criminal minds episode.

• Tbh tho, I msan im Christian , but a book is a book whether it contradicts a persons faith or not it should still be able to be read , I mean I just read a book where this girl was an atheist but it didn't make me hate the book I loved it even more because the author made it theirs.. as Ray Bradbury would say you aren't just the character but the author as well

• Awesome MyTake :) I really enjoyed this.

• Great my take!

• I had a to read my brother sam is dead back in 5 grade the best , The ending freaked me out

• Harry potter was really banned? Wow I didn't know, it's like just a "kids" book honestly

• Yes apparently it glorifies witchcraft

• Not everywhere but in some counties or schools would take it out of libraries

• That's really suck