7 Reasons Why I Believe Eurovision Contest Gives Europeans A Bad Name

As a guy living in Europe myself, I find Eurovision Contest really offensive, and I believe it gives most Europeans a really bad name to non-European people. Here's why:

1) Lack of variety in music genres.

7 Reasons Why I Believe Eurovision Contest Is Giving Europeans A Bad Name.

The most dominant genre in Eurovision Contest is either Vocal Pop or Dance Pop. Other genres hardly make it in the Eurovision Contest, so I'd say it's unfair for other genres as well.

2) Many Europeans aren't Eurovision fanboys and fangirls

Eurovision fanboys and fangirls really give the rest of us a bad name. We don't care to see a bunch of untalented and often unknown artists performing a stupid song for 3 minutes. And they don't even sing it live. It's lip-syncing (as I mention below at #5 as another reason, why it's useless.). Imagine what kind of impression they give to non-Europeans, making them believing that we are all so dumb that we spend our time watching this contest which is a serious crime against music.

3) Not representative genres for each country.

I believe most genres in this contest are not related to each country's standards. For example this band you see above is Bucks Fizz, a vocal pop band.They won the Eurovision contest in 1981 and they are British. Still they were miles away from the most representative genre of that era, in their country at least. Considering that by 1981, popular British bands were The Police or The Clash. Definitely not Bucks Fizz, so not representative.

4) Overrated

It's not just a cult contest. But in Europe at least, Eurovision's considered a big event, just as big as Olympic Games. And that's a big reason why it gives Europeans a bad name, since it might make others believe all are so much interested in a lousy contest like Eurovision.

5) Singing in lip-sync

.

Ironically, it's called Eurovision song contest. Not even. Most artists who participate in Eurovision don't even sing live. It's just choreography and only, do it would be more accurate if it was renamed Eurovision choreography contest. Just ridiculous. You call yourself "song contest" when you don't even sing live?

6) Voting is inaccurate

It's obvious that each country vote with sympathies towards each country. Not because of the song. So in other words an unfair contest, as long as one of the most basic thing (voting), is not accurate.

7) Wrong choice of artists.

It makes me believe, that serious artists would never even consider participating in this contest. How many serious European artists like Krokus (Switzerland), Europe (Sweden) or Scorpions (Germany) ever took part in such a contest? Anyway, let's take a look at the UK artists for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest#1980s_and_1990s

Most of them are totally unknown,even for the UK standards and definitely not part of the mainstream scene of each era. I'm aware of the 70s,80s and 90s British music scene, and those bands above were definitely not part of the mainstream scene by that period. Maybe Gina G. was the exception. Well see #3 as well.

In conclusion: Just abolish this contest. It shouldn't exist. If you want to listen those untalented artists with their lousy songs listen them to your homes, instead of giving us a bad name to the rest of the world.

Just abolish it, so the rest of the world can take Europe seriously, and not as a land of Eurovision fanboys/fangirls.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 7

• I sort of agree with you tbh.
    On a side note, Graham Norton (some Britain from a celeb hosting show)

• said that Australia shouldn't be allowed on the show because we're so far away :(

• Well... It's a cheesy contest that's unfair and predictable...
    But it's some kind of a fluffy tradition in Europe. I can't say I watch it, but I take a peek at some songs. None of them are really great. The only one I liked for a loong time is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Xl9tBWt54

And this was in 2007!!! So...

• Straighten out your economy which is in the dumps and then I'll listen to you

• How many names do you have?

• " But in Europe at least, Eurovision's considered a big event, just as big as Olympic Games." Whaat? Maybe in your country but french people don't give a fuck about it ! And it's not considered as big as th OG at all

• Glad to know that.

• I think the Eurovision is a joke, but pretty much everyone knows that. I don't think it should be banned because it's still funny to watch and lately the artists we've been sending aren't that horribly bad. Douwe Bob is actually a name I've heard before lol.
    I do really hate the genres though. Everybody tries to make some sort of statement nowadays with glitter, glamour and a lot of noise. Just why?
    I'm not sure if it's really lip-sync. Then some people are just straight out bad then because some really sing out of tone.
    It's funny because the Eurovision is a typical example for friendship politics and they always give that example in schools.

• Yes it's lip-sync. It just sounds like it came out from the studio.

And genres they're playing is what we call "Eurotrash" like another guy said below.

• but that's music people use it to make statements that's not typical for eurovision songfestival

• I've never heard of this before o:

• You don't lose anything. Really.

• #5 is wrong. All vocals MUST be on stage! Remember one year when Sweden (I think) used water on scene and there where some problems due to move the microphone to someone else before the singer got a "shower"

What Guys Said 19

• Australia and Israel has participated and they aren't European. Why not let Canada and the United States into the Eurovision contest since they are European based?

• I find it bizarre why Australia and Israel have participated (and Morocco as well). But what it matters here is WHY someone (including Europeans) should take part here?

• if they pay enough they can be part too it's that easy.
      Germany, Italy, France, Spain and UK are already in the final and why because of money

• Here in the U. S Eurovision is pretty much a non-thought,
    We don't think it makes you look bad, we simply don't think of it

• I don't think this is a big deal here either. I had no idea what the hell this was before reading this thread!

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau
      Its on my bucket list

• tell me when you go. i'll come with. i got friends in sorrento (where i lived), milan and parma. and there's a fw other places we could go :P

• I only agree with 6 but what we can do about that.

Although people vote like that often at the a good song will win anyway

• Are you a Eurovision fan I suppose?

• Haha you have bands like Golden Earring and The Nits and you care about some random Eurovision band?

• Check my answer on your "knock knock" question, where I posted a link. I want to close it hahaha.

• Most of the songs aren't that great.

• Pfff... who gives a fuck about Eurovision? A show only for old people like my dad and grandparents and for 15 year old girls who have nothing better to do.

• i actually agree with all of these,

• Eurovision has been largely a freak show, for a long time.
    Just look at last year's winner: a bearded transsexual.

• Same level as the olympics? I barely know anyone who watches it, and anyone Ho died watches t itonically. I'd say it's closer to to the something like the xfqctor

• No kidding, at least from my experience.

• Wow so many typos... 😁 But yeah is suppose it depends on where you live, most people I know don't really give a shit but might watch it for casual entertainment

• is this shit still going on? the last time i heard of euro vision was back in like 97/98. i was 12/13.

i didn't realise eurovison was still a thing haha.

• In my opinion, Eurovision is dumb because:
    - It barely has any other genre than pop (probably the only exception were Lordi; finally some decent music!)
    - It's a freakshow; faggots and bearded men pretending to be ladies getting prizes for being freaks alone, because PC.
    - Voting can be biased; it's not about the song in some cases, it's about a country.
    - It's mostly shit music.

• Yeah shit music indeed. I wonder how so many people like it.

By PC what you mean though?

• "Political Correctness".

• Ah OK thanks!

• Don't take it so seriously - it's just a bit of fun.
    Having said that, some of the songs are actually quite good, and to a certain extent, do reflect popular musical taste. For example, Estonia's entry last year - I think it's a pretty decent song (better than a lot of the shite that people in the UK actually do buy), and driving around Austria and Northern Italy this winter, I was still hearing it played on the radio.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWACbw3cqW0

Also, while political voting certainly was an issue (leading to the legendary and sadly missed Sir Terry quitting Eurovision), I'm not sure it is any more - this decade's winners have been from Sweden, Austria, Denmark, Sweden (again), Azerbaijan and Germany. Yes, Scandinavian countries have done well, but to be fair, the Swedish and Danish winners in 2012 and 2013 deserved to (the Danish entry was far and away the best that year). I can't explain Austria's win in 2014 (or for that matter, why their entry this year is sung in French).

I agree that a little more variety would be good, but there are always a few countries each year, who dare to be different, with disastrous and often hilarious results! Whether you're into Dutch country or Bosnian classical / rap fusion, Eurovision has you covered (and where else are you going to find that stuff?).

Anyway, Belgium has it in the bag this year - the perfect mix of an extremely pretty young girl with a half decent voice, a catchy and upbeat song with lyrics that make no sense, and some very questionable dance moves. She is in the second semi-final though, which is a *lot* more competitive than the first (the overall winner will almost certainly come from the second semifinal).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP3USrYpr5w

• I don't know, It's been somewhat of a tradition with our family to watch it and entertain ourselves while it's going on.

I couldn't care less thou.

• I don't like Eurovision contest anymore... but I don't like mainstream artists either.

• But it's so entertaining. The Australian coverage of it is brilliant. We have these two presenters named Sam Pang and Julia Zemiro who just take the piss out of. It's so funny.
    Makes for a great show.

cache1.asset-cache.net/.../...edia-gettyimages.jpg

• Lol it's just some fun, it doesn't give Europe a bad name. Well no more than awful tv shows like how I met your mother and big bang theory give the USA a bad name.
    But yeah if someone makes a really good song they aren't going to waste it on the Eurovision so of course the songs always suck. And yeah everyone votes more for their neighbours, like greece and cyprus always give each other 12 points

• Dude. Srsly. What is Simon's peerage rakn.

• No clue what you are talking about. Never even heard of this show to even get a bad impression.

• In the UK only a tiny minority of people pay any attention to this any more. We used to do really well in the contest but due to the Iraq war and the massive influx of eastern european countries into the competition at a similar time we get nowhere now and it is just an annual humiliation. The powers that be have tried various ways to overcome it (including using established stars; making a joke of it; pandering to eurotrashpop) but I think everyone now just accepts the voting is just political. Maybe if we vote for Brexit they will throw us out of Eurovision as an unexpected bonus!

My understanding of the contest though was that it was sung live (although it may have changed without my knowledge)

• UK actually has the best music scene among all Europe. They degrade themselves by participating on it.

• True, but credible artists know to stay away from it now. People desperate enough will always have a go though. To the bulk of people in the UK it is a bad joke that has more than run its course.

• 0|0