Waffles Lists the Top 5 Most Overrated Game Franchises

Waffles list the 5 most overrated video games

Now this is my own opinion, its perfectly fine to like these games however I believe them to be incredibly overrated and I'm probably going to get hate for this take because there is more than one sacred cow on this list.

1. The Grand Theft Auto Series

I'm going to be honest. This game has no reason to exist anymore. It used to be that it was the only mainstream game where you could just go out and wreck havoc in the middle of a city. Now not so much. There is an entire Genre of wide open sandbox games for you to play and some of them are MUCH better. I remember playing GTA IV and I gotta say, The game wasn't fun. The gunplay was extremely repetitive the driving was boring. It just wasn't fun. Now with games like the Just Cause series and such. The whole, do aynthing kill anyone style is no longer exclusive to GTA and it seems like everything it does has been done better in a different game.

2. The Call of Duty series

Seriously these games just aren't that good. They aren't particularly well written, the gunplay is repitative and there is basically no difference other than appreance between most of the guns. Then you have the fact that they release one every year and there is nearly no changes. It's like a sixty dollar map pack. Fuck COD

3. Assassins Creed

I know people love these games but to be honest the first one I actually found a moment of fun in was Black Flag. The first one I would actually call a decent game would be the most recent one Syndicate. The early games in particular are just atrocious. The Combat is boring as fuck. The stealth system is just awful. I mean, hide in plain sight sounds awesome but when you are a dude armed to the teeth wearing a robe you shouldn't be able to blend in with a group of commoners. The plot has far to much badly done science fiction. Then you have the fact that the Series replaced the Actually Awesome Prince of Persia series. So I think the Assassins creed games are overrated.

4. Pokemon

Now don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed the pokemon games I've played. They are actually good games. However that does not mean they are not overrated. The fact is that the each game is essentially the same. Its not some great innovator, its just a Good J-RPG yet I know people who talk about them like they solved world hunger and for that reason I sadly have to list them, which is sad because my first video game was Pokemon Gold

5. The Madden Series

Now this series hasn't changed in years. I know people who pre-order them and get them that day but to be honest this series changes even less than pokemon and call of duty. Which means that a game that is even more the same than the others gets released every year. Honestly you've play one you've played them all.

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 9

• I agree 100% with this take.

The one that is overrated the most and is extremely annoying to hear people talk about to me is COD. That seems to be the #1 video game that ruins relationships too. XD

• Maaaaaan, Assassin's Creed is the shiz nitz, minus the first game. The first one was too short and you only did the same thing throughout the entire game.

• Pokemon is one of my favorite games, but it is definatly overrated

• Dude it's the same game for years they added new little things in the 3ds version but my god

• The guy clearly doesn't actually know his games, he is one of those guys who plays games because they are 'hardcore' or some bullshit

• Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion. Again if you played WoW what kind of end game did you do before saying the game sucks?

• I agree with all of those being overrated, but I do enjoy me some GTA

• I kinda feel the opposite about Assassin's Creed tbh. I used to enjoy the older games a lot more. I don't like what the series has become. Same with COD. I don't even play it anymore.

• As someone who likes stealth games and Action Stealth games and a story that at the very least doesn't make you want to bash your skull against the wall.
      I'd have to say that objectively the latter assassins creed games are mechanically superior with Syndicate playing like a dream.
      Then the storyline of the latter games is less head desk worthy,
      Plus Syndicate you play as a london gangster who in a side mission fights the actual spring-heeled jack who is neither a human or has anything to do with the first civ but rather an actual and literal demonic entity

• I know, I just think that it would be better if they never had modern day segments and used fantasy instead of sci-fi because the amount of headesking it makes me want to do means that they should have gone with the easier route,
      Plus I prefer fantasy to sci-fi

• Ah okay. That makes sense! I could see how that would work... Well if they had gone that route, they shouldn't have introduced the present day element altogether rather than ignoring it later during the story. I guess I'm just a person who hates cliffhangers, so that's why it bothers me.

• I absolutely agree with you on most of these. GTA is mostly the same, but at least the games are still fun to play. The same goes for Pokemon. Assassin's Creed, COD, and Madden are all the same: fart out a new, barely tweaked version of the game once a year for a full $60, and sneak a season pass and some extra DLC for good measure.

• That is probably one of the most true statements in gaming franchises.

• this my take is 100% true

• um i play a little GTA and i play Call of Duty black ops but i play against real people lol

• but ya thy over reated

• @Jujulius Its also Grindtastic

• Fair enough, can understand that. You should try a wii u it's very fun for in house play. If you play with friends & family a lot try Mario party & Mario karts

What Guys Said 9

• I would have to agree with you on GTA, COD and Pokemon, and as for the rest I don't really pay much attention to them.

• Assassin's Creed is dope as shit, especially ACIII.

• i dissagree with number one. i loves me some GTA. nothing better than causing some random havoc... but GTA IV was just a crap game (cant all be winners, boy) if you never played it to the end, it gave you about 40k and literally nothing to do after you have clocked the main story and the frienships that have to maintained to keep the story going all the other GTA games still let you do other mini games and buy things after the game school bully game included.

one game franchise id like to add to your list: NEED FOR SPEED
    as a car guy some of these games aren't really trying, the car handling is soooo far from a real car its not funny and you can clock most of these games in a night or 2. there is no real customisation and all the parts you want are locked with some ridiculous challenge thats always set on hard mode. all the starting cars are a dirrivitive of a nissan 240sx because nobody makes any cheap starting cars or hot rods...

• I had a feeling Pokemon was going to be on this list XP lol I love the Pokemon games a lot. There was a time where I "outgrew" it because "Pokemon was childish" according to my family, but when Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out I was like "Yay Pokemon is cool again!!!" :P

• 1. GTA is still king in my books. Have you played GTA V? It definitely worth it.

2. Totally agree. Infinite Warfare seems interesting though.

3. I do agree with your points to a certain degree, although I always liked AC quite a lot. The newer games (Unity and Syndicate) indeed have improved gameplay, which is simply superiour to that of the older games. I guess one of the main resaons for me to buy AC games have been story and setting.

4. Never played it, no opinion.

5. Agree. It's the same with FIFA or any annually released sports game franchise for that matter. I'm still clueless, why people buy it again, every time.

• Assassin's creed is a great series with in depth story and great game play. The AI needed a little love in the development stages but it's over all a great series. And Prince of Persia was shit just so everyone knows. You clearly don't know what your talking about. To say Assassin's Creed is overrated is a joke.

• 150% agrees lol

• To be honest, I'd have to agree with all except for Assassins creed.

Its not the most popular series out there, And, Its got a pretty large hate following, Mostly due in part to shitty ubisoft.

I mean, GTA.. Well... Fucking everyone plays GTA, Because.. Its GTA? Haha. Cod. Yup, Retardedly large fanbase of 11 year olds who say all sorts of shit to defend their rinse and repeat game, Pokemon has just become cultural overated cancer at this point with even people who've never played it buying Pikachu backpacks and shit, And i can't say anything for madden as im British and I've never seen gameplay / played it / or even heard of it outside youtube ads and stuff.

But, I just feel like the playerbase for Assasins games is so so so so so so so so much smaller then GTA / Cod / Pokemon it can't really be overrated, As i said, a lot of people actually dislike the franchise / its storyline / ubisoft.

Other then that i agree completely ;). I think in better place of Assassins Creed would be Mario, That shits on the same level of Pokemon in that its become over blasted cultural cancer.

• I was going to put mario on the list because I completely agree but I am planning on doing a part two and IT WILL be on there

• They took the mechanics of prince of persia from it,
      Not the story and yeah star wars battlefront kicked

• one thing I really liked about syndicate is the protagonists seem to realize just how ridicious the situation is and Jacob just says, eh fuck it, I'm going to start a gang.

• Yeah after awhile Pokemon gets boring but my Pika (my pikachu's nickname) is pretty badass