The Top 5 Horror Movie Franchises of This Century (So Far)

I must admit, I am a big horror movie buff. I have had my share of cheesy horror movies (and trust me, there are some REALY bad ones out there) but there are also a few that I quite enjoyed. This is a list of my top 5 horror movie franchises from this century so far (in no particular order):

1. The Grudge (2004, 2006, 2009)

If there is one horror movie that I would watch over and over again, its The Grudge (All three movies of the franchise, actually). I would also consider Kayako to be one of the downright creepiest horror movie characters ever! The original Japanese Ju-on films were also scary in their own right, but I personally found Kayako's portrayal (played by actress Takako Fuji) in the American remake of the films much more frightening.

2. The Ring (2002, 2005)

The Ring is yet another American remake of a Japanese horror classic (although, I must admit that I have never seen the original Japanese version). Both movies are similar to The Grudge films, in that they are very creepy with little gore. And Samara Morgan certainly gives Kayako a run for her money for creepiest horror movie character! I am greatly anticipating the release of the third sequel Rings, set to be released October 28th, 2016.

3. Insidious (2011, 2013, 2015)

There is no doubt that the Insidious films are somewhat weird and unpredictable. Yes, some aspects of both films are a little corny , but the films are excellent in building suspense and definitely hit the a "creep factor" nail on the head. The first Insidious film is far different (and better) than the sequel, but I think both movies are definitely worth watching.

4. The Conjuring (2013, 2016)

If you liked Patrick Wilson in the Insidious films, then you will certainly love him in The Conjuring (and its not just because I have a bit of a celeb-crush on him). The Conjuring is the perfect horror movie in my opinion, and its definitely a movie you don't want to watch in the dark alone. I am eagerly awaiting to see The Conjuring 2, out in theaters now.

5. Paranormal Activity (2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015)

No list of horror movies would be complete without mentioning Paranormal Activity, would it? I really enjoyed the first three movies of the franchise, but I honestly think making six films was a bit over-kill. Nevertheless, the films offer a sense of realism that is not offered in most horror films, which I think make them all the more scarier.

What is your all-time favorite horror movie? Share it using #Horror

MandyRuth is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 13

• Dawn of the Dead 1978 is my definitive favorite horror movie of all time. What I like about it is that unlike most undead media which takes place after the apocalypse, this film shows the apocalypse as it unfolds from the beginning and is thus very interesting. Honorable mention goes to The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price.

• I don't really care much about horror movies but I still remember watching The Ring. I was watching it alone in my apartment and it ended right at midnight, and exactly when the credits started to roll, the phone rang.

:P

• I've seen all those!
    More than once lol

• You just showed me how old I'm realign getting right now. For me when I go back to horror it's the original three Jason, Freddy, and Michael Myers. They were the standard bearers. God I'm old

• Jesus The Ring scared the fuck outta me.

• My favorites are lost highway, tetsuo: the iron man, and frailty

• Of these, I liked The Conjuring but I didn't really like any of these much (The Ring was ok to). Horror movies have really gone down hill in my opinion.

• Horror is my favorite genre of movies, although, my favorites are from the 80's and 90's ;)

• I agree with the list but I think "Outpost" and "V/H/S" are great franchises as well.

• I love The Conjuring. I've watched the first movie and it scared the shi* out of me.

• Insidious is the best

• Heh...

As a huge horror fan myself, I personally wouldn't want to focus on either franchises (most sequels suck) or more recent movies (most of them suck).

That being said...

1. The Ring was alright. I don't even remember the sequel.

2. The Grudge was mediocre, but I have the added memory of seeing it with a girl who spent the entire movie with her face buried in my shoulder.

3. Insidious was alright, the second one not so much, haven't seen the third yet.

4. I really did enjoy The Conjuring, still want to see the second.

5. I enjoyed Paranormal Activity one quite a bit but they definitely started going downhill as the series went on.

• Thanks, but no thanks. I want the slasher films, with serial killers instead of supernatural horror.

My all-time favorite horror film is surprise, Valentine from 2001. I was a bullied child, so to see that boy grow up and get revenge on his tormentors was just refreshing to me.

What Girls Said 8

• Seen all of these. Good movies.

• Samara and Kayako still give me nightmares lmao. But I loooove horror movies.

• Paranormal Activity is my favorite out of all those.

• Insidious was funny to me lol. Never found it scary. Orphan is always fun.

• My personal opinion the best western horror movies :
    The Conjuring
    Drag Me to Hell

if you love horror movies so much, try to watch Japanese and Thai movie, they're a lot scarier. I remembered 4bia, a combination of horror stories in a Thai movie, the last story about stewardess in a plane with a princess corpse. It still give me the effect till now..

• I went to se the conjuring 2 with my boyfriend the other day, and was thoroughly terrified almost the entire time... however the first one is much better in my opinion...

• They are ok, but I prefer past century horrors :)

• Meh on the first two. Both are remakes. The Conjuring is the only great franchise here. Its hard to make a really good paranormal horror movie..