7 Movies To Watch Before You Die

In no particular order, I'll be listing the movies you should see before you die. So if you haven't seen the movie's on my list, perhaps that's what you should be doing tonight! Here are my reviews/synopsis of each movie. If you have a movie you'd like to see on this list, please feel free to comment below. Here are the first 7 on my list...

No Country for Old Men (2007)

The Cohen Brothers again, need I say more? As we know, they’re fantastic storytellers and this adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s neo-Western novel is another one of their best. Whilst out hunting in rural Texas, Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) finds the remains of several drug runners after an exchange that has clearly gone violently wrong. Rather than report his discovery, Moss decides to keep the 2 million dollars present for himself which puts the merciless killer Anton Chigurh on his trail. Javier Bardem chillingly plays Chigurh in this stand out role, with graphic violence and tense action scenes, its 2 hours of a nail-biting cat and mouse chase.

Pans Labyrinth (2006)

This film is pure Guillermo Del Toro fantasy at its best. It’s dark, it’s beautiful and it’s strange. Set in Spain in 1944 during the end of the Spanish Civil War. A recently remarried woman, Carmen, moves with her daughter Ofelia into the house of her new husband, the cold authoritarian Captain Vidal. The film intertwines reality and fairy tale though this is no children’s movie. Ofelia finds a labyrinth and within it a Faun who informs her that she is the is the reincarnation of the Princess of the Underworld before giving her three tasks to complete before the full moon in order to achieve immortality. Prepare for gut wrenching terror as we meet the Pale Man and a heartbreaking finale.

Four Lions (2010)

"My plan is, right, to put a bomb on a crow"

Directed by my personal favorite satirist in British comedy history, Chris Morris, Four Lions is an edgy black comedy. This satire centers on a group of homegrown terrorist jihadi’s from Sheffield in South Yorkshire, a group of radicalized young British men who aspire to be suicide bombers. The group consists of Omar (Riz Ahmed), who is deeply critical of Western Society; his dim witted friend Waj (Kayvan Novak), naïve Faisal (Adeel Akhtar) and Barry, a bad-tempered white man who converted to Islam. Now this may be a little tough to digest with the terror climate of the world but stay with me. As is the fashion of British humor, we like to take that which is very serious and poke fun at it and that is what Four Lions does in a dark, humorous and slightly sad way.

Zodiac (2007)

One of David Fincher’s masterpieces, Zodiac is the ‘true life’ story telling of the Zodiac an infamous serial killer who terrorized the San Francisco Bay area in the 1970’s. (You may have heard of him in recent times as a recent poll revealed that 38% of Floridian voters believed that Ted Cruz might actually be the Zodiac killer…yes, really.) After opening on the 1969 killing of two teens, shot to death in a parking lot, the film centers on three men obsessed with unmasking the elusive killer; Chronicle star crime reported Paul Avery (Robert Downey Jr.), young political cartoonist Robert Graysmith (Jake Gyllenhaal) and local detective Dave Toschi (Mark Ruffalo). Powered by a trio of staggering performances, Zodiac is a slow burner, intense and grips you from beginning to end.

In Bruges (2008)

“Maybe that’s what hell is: the entire rest of eternity spent in fuckin’ Bruges.”

Coming back with another dark comedy on the list, In Bruges centers on Irish hit-men Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) who are sent to Bruges by their employer to cool off after a hit goes wrong. Ken loves the city, finding peace in his surroundings but Ray has nothing but contempt for the place and while attempting to find something to amuse him, he runs into pretty drug dealer Chloe (Clémence Poésy) and a drug abusing racist dwarf (Jordan Prentice). I don’t want to give away too much of the plot but this is a whip-smart comedy that never loses sight of its darkness, nor its humanity.

Spirited Away (2001)

From Hayao Miyazaki, Spirited Away is a beautifully crafted Japanese masterpiece that received unprecedented international distribution and as a result it could be argued, made Anime movies more accessible to the Western world. The protagonist is ten year old Chihiro, her parents having been turned into pigs she is forced to work in a bathhouse for a witch until she can find a way to turn them back into humans. Featuring a colorful cast of characters; gods, monsters, spirits and deities, Chihiro is forced to grow up very quickly whilst dealing with the trial and tribulations of the bath house and rescue those she loves all while we are treated to the stunning visuals Studio Ghibli are so famous for.

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Here is the second Cohen Brothers movie on my list and I can’t promise that there won’t be more (these guys are fantastic storytellers). Jeff Bridges plays Jeff ‘The Dude’ Lebowski, a laid back easy going slacker who happens to have the same last name as a millionaire who’s wife owes a lot of money to some dangerous people. Tasked with finding Lebowski’s missing wife, The Dude soon finds himself and his bowling buddies Walter and Donny (played by John Goodman and Steve Buscemi) thrown into LA’s seedy underworld. A complete flop at the Box Office at the time of its release, The Big Lebowski has since become a cult classic. Noted for its idiosyncratic characters, dream sequences and unconventional dialogue, it’s since been garnered to be of "cultural, historical, or aesthetic significance" by the National Film Registry.

Ok that’s part one, what are your favourite movies? Which ones do you think should make the list? Please comment below!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 34

• I really liked this take,
    if you liked in bruges then watch seven psychopaths

• I still need to get around to watching that, I know its the same director so should be good. Thank you and thanks for reading my take! :)

• I have been meaning to watch it, just never got around to it. I do like bizarre and illogical stuff though!

• 7 psychopaths is awesome. funny, clever, nice bit of action, good story and acting

• Terminator 2: Judgment Day as the de facto greatest action movie of all time and Dawn of the Dead 1978 as the definitive zombie film.

• Pan's Laybrinth is one of my favorites.

Loathed No Country For Old Men. Just felt like one of those movies that desperately strove to make a point, but ended up making no point at all. Other than any point that was painfully obvious from the start.

• That's fair enough, I'm sure I won't list movies to everyone's tastes. I do get your point about it though. Pans labyrinth is awesome!

• nice list. in bruges is a cool movie. i'll have to check out four lions as it sounds interesting.

• Glad you like the list, thanks for reading! :) definitely check it out, I still laugh so much at it lol

• Curiously enough, I'm watching Spirited Away right now :D
    Although if we're talking Ghibli in terms of films to watch before you die, I'm sorry but it has to go to Princess Mononoke in my opinion. It just outclasses SA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• This is just part one, there'll be more movies in more takes soon and I know some more studio Ghibli are gonna be in there but I chose spirited cause it's so easy for anyone of any age to watch really. I know plenty of people who don't dig mononoke :/

• Yeah, it's not like there are many bad Studio Ghibli films anyway ;p

• They're all pretty awesome tbh!

• My Top 7 Movies of all time @_@
    1-Cinema Paradiso
    2-Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind
    3-Oldboy (2003)
    4-The Departed (2006)
    5- Requiem for a Dream (2000)
    6-The Pianist (2002)
    7-The Intouchables (2011)

• Lots of these are on my list and I'm planning on doing more of these takes with more movies from the list :)

• The big lebowski is the single greatest piece of creativity in history. There I've said it.

• Ooh that's a controversial opinion! Not that I don't agree 👍

• Big labowski, classic! Nice my take.

• I want to watch Spirited Away...

• Pan's Labyrinth and that stupid robot movie. Everything Guillermo Del Toro has made is garbage, I need to stop letting people talk me in to watching anything with his name on it.

• Have watched a couple from the list.
    Will do with the rest.

• no country for old men and pans labyrinth were bad enough to make you want to die.

• Then they weren't for you. Fair enough, what movies would you recommend?

• I've never understood why so many people like "The Big Lebowski". For years I heard people talk about it like it's some kind of classic. I finally saw it last year, and I felt like I had wasted two hours. The characters aren't edgy, just annoying.

• Fair enough, it wasn't for you :) what are some of your favs?

• @madhatters4 Yeah I guess. Too many years of expectations piled up.

• I've had quite a few movies over hyped for me and ended up hating them so I understand how you feel

• A movie made by the same guy as Pan's Labyrinth which I believe to be much better is "The Devil's Backbone."

• Four Lions is awesome, can I suggest any Shane Meadows movie, but especially Dead Man Shoes.

• I love Shane Medows, that's a good suggestion!

• Keeping it as real as possible! lol

• I think that's why he's so funny though

• Especially Pan's Laybrinth is a very special one for me; nice take, thank you.

• No country for Old men, needed a really hot supporting actress, to keep our attention.
    It was a bit toooo slow

• Fair enough, I didn't find it slow at all but to each their own.

• Lmao In Brudges

Also check out Fight Club
    And maybe Shawshank
    Also possibly the Prestige

• I'm a pretty rugged guy and not much in life scares me. But the character that Javier Bardim played in "No Country for Old Men" scared the hell out of me. If I met that character in real life, I'd run the other way before he could put that cow's brain smasher device on my forehead.

I loved that movie. It's probably one of my all time favorites.

• He is really terrifyingly scary. Such good acting. Nice to see someone else who enjoyed the movie as much as me :)

• Requiem for a Dream is also a must watch. Any person's who had an addiction will tell you of how accurate it portrays the disease, and anyone who has never done drugs will be too scared to ever ponder trying them after watching it.

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 13

• Kingsman the secret service was amazing and hilarious. ^^
    ia.media-imdb.com/.../...0_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

• I did really enjoy Kingsman! Will add it to the master list :)

• I love Zodiac, no country for old men, the big lebowski and spirited away

• here are the Women lol

Sucks that most movies with female leads are crap.

• Very good point, I should find more films with female leads. This is just part one so I'm going to be doing more, I will definitely try to include more female leads, I do already have a couple on the list though! :)

• Eh. Just, eh.

• This is just the first 7 (and just my opinion), what are some of your favourites?

• Most of those are on the master list so you'll see them featured in some of the next takes :)

• Ah, I see.

• OMG Four Lions <3 I haven't watched Zodiac, but the rest is on point. Good job!

• Yay!! Someone who's seen it!! ❤️ Thank you for reading and for the great comment! PS your username is 👌 perfect. Love her.

• I love Spirited Away , i watched it about 5 times, incredibly interesting story

• Love some of these films so will check out the ones I haven't seen. ;)

• Great stuff, thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy them :)

• That's a good list Lock Stock and Watchmen are two of my favourite movies actually. Thank you for the ideas :)

• Love the Station agent, nice to know someone else on here has watched it... beautiful film!

• Have only watched the last two. but ill add the others to the long list

• Thanks for reading. Do you have any recommendations to add to the next list?

• never heard of any of these

• Spirited away is the only one I've seen and it's so weird/boring.

• Fair enough, do you have any movies you would add to the master list? This is just part one :) which movies are your favourite?

• These looks great, I like your taste.
    Shawshank
    Schindlers List
    And a few other would make my list :)
    I can't wait to see Pan's, the clips have been amazing.

• Thank you! Oh definitely adding Shindler's list to the master list, shawshank is up there too. So they'll probably be on my next take. Pans is awesome, very dark and creepy but great, you'll enjoy it :)

• I wasn't too impressed with the four movies on this list that I've seen.

Some I might include;
    American Beauty
    Amelie
    Waking Life

• This is just part one, as with lots of lists, not everyone will agree but thanks for reading. Which four have you seen? And Amelie is fantastic, it will probably make an appearance on one of the next lists so thank you for your suggestions :)

• No Country for Old Men (Not a big Cohen fan), The Big Lebowski, Zodiac, And Pan's Labyrinth I've seen.

To me; they're just okish movies. I know a lot of people love them. When I hea/read "movies to watch before you die" i just kinda expect to see some films that could potentially change your life, ya know? Not necessarily movies with an impressive plot twist.

Anyways maybe i will like your next list. I do want to see Spirited Away at some point though! ;)

• I think that depends on the person. Some movies will change a persons life but not affect another's but I get your point :) everyone is different I guess. Hopefully you will and I definitely recommend spirited away!

• most of the movie are deep...
    and Spirited Away, yeahh love it!

• I love deep movies, especially black comedies, they'll pop up a lot. I love Spiritied Away, definitely one of my favourite animated ones :) any movies you'd like to add to the list?

• I'm not too deep person haha, but I would say these are the worth it movie to be watched:

1. The Sound of Music
      2. Beautiful Mind
      3. The Illusionist
      4. The Shawshank Redemption
      5. Catch Me If You Can
      6. The Green Mile
      7. Shutter Island

I love mind blowing twisted movie, except for the classic Sound of Music - I love to watch how polite old western people in their daily conversation, how wonderful it is if the culture is still practiced today ;)

• That's a good list, definitely a few of those are already on my master list for some of my next takes :) and I understand, everyone's different I suppose!