6 of the Most Underrated TV Shows Of All Time

Sure, some of them were popular, some even ran for years, some were rated highly on IMDB...but none of this truly means they were appreciated as they should've been.

Underrated > should have gotten a lot more credit than they did and have been ignored when it came to acknowledging greatness, originality, substance and pure ingenuity.

In order of underestimation:

6. The Office

Most Underrated TV Shows Of All Time

5. Freaks and Geeks

4. Dexter

3. That 70's Show

2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

1. Arrested Development

1127
LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Sorry girlie, you need to drop the "of all time". You are NOT EVEN CLOSE.

>greatness, originality, substance and pure ingenuity
    I will not include those that have been recognized in their time (MASH, Love Boat, I Love Lucy, McHale's Navy, Hawaii Five-O, All in the Family, Fantasy Island, I Dream of Jeannie, Kojak, Dukes of Hazzard, Miami Vice, Three's Company, Taxi, Cosby Show, etc)

Star Trek, appreciated now, but not on first airing. It was the first or second time a white and black person ever kissed on tv. Considering it's predecessor was Lost In Space, this was a universe apart.

Gilligan's Island, it was considered dumb and stupid, but it was so beloved that it has never not been running somewhere.

Tenko, you probably never heard of it, that it was so underappreciated. It is based on a true story. Youtube it. It is not really for kids.

Hee Haw, it was good old fashion fun, Americana, but the city people wouldn't hear of it. It is in reruns in some markets today.

Battlestar Galactia, the original was original, unfortunately it suffered from a corny storyline and characters that the remake did away with. Yes, the remake is WAY better.

Logan's Run, this was a tv series follow-on to a movie, but together they were of a dystopian future that inspired today's Hunger Games movies. Youtube it.

China Beach, maybe not so original as MASH, but this is for a different experience.

CPO Sharkey, hilarious, but hated by the critics.

• Don't forget the Waltons! πŸ˜„

• Logan's Run inspired the Hunger Games? How did they pull that teen shite from a classic like LR?

• @TakeMaker
      It is the dystopian society, where instead of death of people who got older to maintain the society, it flipped it to death of young people to maintain the society.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think The Office is incredibly overrated. I mean yeah, it's good but it also gets given this cult status as an amazing show and I don't think it's all that.

I know Brits will probably be mad but I actually prefer the American version. Dwight Shrewt alone makes the show awesome.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 26

• that 70s and buffy can't be considered underrated in my opinion since they were given primetime air slots, were ratings beasts, and ran for signficiant periods of time. The British Office is underrated but clearly had it's impact since it lead to the American Office which was a ratings hit

i 100% agree about arrested development. terribly and sadly underrated. Maybe one of the best comedies ever

• I only watched The Office, Freaks and Geeks and Buffy - Freaks and Geeks, yes was good and did not get the attention it deserved but The Office was quite a bit of a cult programme in the UK and Ireland - I thought the show was okay but I didn't get into it as much as others - I thought Buffy was quite popular in the US and UK market, I thought it was the biggest fantasy programme, it probably came a bit early as vampire/fantasy programmes are huge now.

• Lol your kidding right? Buffy was rated as the best vampire slayer TV series ever created and That 70s Show was really popular when it aired, and Dexter is actually quite a good show that a lot of people love.

Everything else on the list though totally agree.

• Arrested Development is the essential comedy show. It's unbelievably good. It should be a law that every person has to watch at least the first 3 seasons.
    Same with The Office and South Park.

• Buffy, Dexter and That 70's Show are great tv shows, definitely among my favorites. I haven't seen Freaks and Geeks, Arrested Development and The Office, are they good?

• They're excellent.

• Not childish witty, but real, educated witty.

• I see, ok, lol :P

• I personally didn't watch any of those shows

• With the possible exception of #5 these were all hugely popular and successful. Do you mean underrated by not winning awards? I know Buffy won a ton of them, same with The Office.

• Penny Dreadful is grossly underrated
    So is Orphan black :(

• Naked and Afraid beats them all!

• Dexter is one of my fav shows ever!

• I don't know how the office and that 70's show is underrated. I'll give you the rest, although a ton of people watched Dexter and Buffy. But if you want y'all underrated shows, look up firefly, freakazoid and life 😁

• Another great show that no one's heard of that was, in my opinion, grossly underrated; Huff. Look it up!

• Do you
    Even know
    What the word
    Underrated
    Means?

• Underrated? Bet you can't name this dog!
    media.giphy.com/media/x0p3e0R5RcvsI/giphy.gif

• That 70's show hahaha! The father! Hilarious.

• a lot of those shows did really well.

• Freaks and Geeks was awesome. Undeclared was great, too.

• I've never heard of Arrested Development ever!

• DEXTER

DEXTER

DEXXTTTTTTEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

And where's Lost lol

• Oh, I thought Lost was overrated. Greatly so. But hey, all these takes are subjective...

• I WILL BITE U IN THE EARLOBE

Ya opinions differ, Dexter and Lost tie for me at position number 1. Then comes the Walking Dead

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 10

• Freaks and Geeks and That '70s Show! Yesss! 😎

• I love the office and arrested development. i watched that 7s show so i must have liked it haven't seen freaks & geeks. .. the rest i just can't get unto. too silly. :)

• Maybe like... two of these are underrated but everything else? I mean, Buffy, That 70's Show, and Dexter are not underrated at all...

• Dexter and Buffy are fantastic, I don't think they are underrated.

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Dexter are one of the most popular show in my country

• TRUE

• I really like Freaks and Geeks

• I loved Dexter ughh him in 6 feet under wo hooo

• "Underrated " ? You mean "overrated " ?

• Loved the Office. The cringe was delicious! My boyfriend has all the buffy episodes and I've seen a few, they look quite good. I tried Dexter but didn't like it. Not seen the others.

Orphan black is another one. Haven't kept up with it though.